Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocation Packages

Options
  • 08-04-2014 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

If a company offers you a relocation package, are you obliged to take it?
    I have been offered one, but i had to sign a document saying that if I leave the company for whatever reason within the first 2 years, I have to repay all of the costs incurred by the company relocating me. I know they are doing this to protect themselves, but who knows what will happen within 2 years. I might not even like it after the first month. I have no control over the costs, so should I be worried about the possibility of having to repay it? Or should I just hope that if that does happen, they won't chase for it. Do companies just have that policy there to try and get commitment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

I work in one of the multinationals and had this issue in the past as well. When they produced the contract for me to sign I crossed out and initialled the clauses that I did not agree with and then signed it.

I was reasonable in that one clause that I crossed out was one where in the event that the relocation did not go ahead due to the company cancelling the relocation for any reason I would be expected to pay back the advance that had been part of the deal. This I crossed out because by that point I had already incurred expenses, moved out of my rented house and sold my car etc.

They were not happy and a few weeks later gave me the same contract to sign again and I repeated the whole exercise over again. After all, they were not doing me any favours, I was doing them a favour!

One of the lads that went out at the same time left the company a year after getting home and the did take the money back pro-rata.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Indecisive2

How can they "take" the money back? Obviously your colleague offered to pay it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Indecisive2

Would you mind me asking what multi-national that was? You could message me privately if you'd prefer?

How can they "take" the money back? Obviously your colleague offered to pay it?
    Presumably out of any money that was outstanding to him (final pay, bonus or whatever)

Relocation is expensive, companies want to lock people in for a while.

Advertisement