Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adare to Athlone ... which way would you go??

Options
  • 09-07-2020 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭

Just wondering ... where are people’s preference.

1. Go via Shannon airport road and go to Athenry and then on to Athlone
    2. On to Nenagh and up the Bog of Allen via Ferbane and Borrisokane?..

The first incurs 2 x Tolls but great road at 120km an hour cruising.

What is the Boards preference for those that have tp do it regularly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You could pretty much predict time of arrival with 1 but at this time of year a few tractors could slow you down a lot on 2 after Borrisokane.

Given that I'm old school so I'd probably take 2 because it's shorter distance and no tolls.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's pretty easy to avoid the toll at the tunnel. Just go in the Dock Rd, cross the river at the Shannon bridge and back out the Condell Rd. Take about 7-8 mins longer. And I know I'd definitely travel on the motorway rather than the N52 every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Even though on paper while 1 is longer it is supposed to be a minute faster. However I went to Athlone one day via Athenry and returned via Borisakane. 35 km difference in distance I taught route 2 was way faster

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Depending on what time of the day you're travelling and how tied you are to an exact time of arrival etc I'd always choose the motorway through Clare and Galway for speed/accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

M18/6 for your sanity. Sod the tolls. Skip the Limerick one if its quiet.

Or if you're travelling very early morning on a weekend, go via Nenagh on the way up and take the motorway on the way back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Even though on paper while 1 is longer it is supposed to be a minute faster. However I went to Athlone one day via Athenry and returned via Borisakane. 35 km difference in distance I taught route 2 was way faster

... and the 35km is a bit of a saving (plus no tolls)

Only problem is the ****ty roads from Nenagh across the bogs. The dips in the road and number of bends throws the backseat passengers all over the place.

Is there anyway to cut across to Ballinslow on Option 1 and cut out Athenry and the Toll ???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Masala wrote: »
    ... and the 35km is a bit of a saving (plus no tolls)

Only problem is the ****ty roads from Nenagh across the bogs. The dips in the road and number of bends throws the backseat passengers all over the place.

Is there anyway to cut across to Ballinslow on Option 1 and cut out Athenry and the Toll ???

Over the years I have driven that road from above Borisakane many times over the years and I am nearly immune.....until I hit the crests of a couple of hump backs.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement