Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Games of year over last 25 years

Options
  • 05-05-2020 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Ok I'll start with hurling

1994: AI Final Offaly v Limerick
    1995: Munster semi final Cork v Clare (3-9 to 2-13)
    1996: Munster semi final Limerick v Clare (0-15 to 1-13)
    1997: AI final Clare v Tipp
    1998: Munster drawn final Waterford v Clare (3-10 to 1-13)
    1999: AI Semi final Cork v Offaly
    2000: AI semi final Cork v Offaly
    2001: AI semi final Kilkenny v Galway
    2002: Munster Final Waterford v Tipperary
    2003: Munster Final Cork v Waterford
    2004: Munster Final Cork v Waterford
    2005: AI Semi Final Kilkenny v Galway
    2006: AI semi final Waterford v Cork
    2007: Munster semi final Waterford v Cork (5-15 to 3-18)
    2008: AI semi final Tipp v Waterford
    2009: AI final Tipp v Kilkenny
    2010: Munster Final replay Cork v Waterford
    2011: AI Final Tipp v Kilkenny
    2012: AI final Galway v Kilkenny(drawn match)
    2013: AI final Cork v Clare(drawn match)
    2014: AI final KK v Tipp(drawn match)
    2015: AI semi final Galway v Tipp
    2016: AI semi final Waterford v Kilkenny(replay)
    2017: AI semi final Tipp v Galway
    2018: AI semi final Limerick v Cork
    2019: AI semi final Tipp v Wexford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Due to Kilkenny's dominance there hasn't been many great games in Leinster in this period but the 96 Leinster final(Wexford v Offaly) and 04 semi final (KK v Wexford) spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭shockframe

Football

95 Tyrone Galway
    96 Kerry Cork
    97 Kildare Meath replay
    98 Galway Roscommon replay
    99 Laois Dublin draw
    00 Kerry Armagh draw
    01 Meath Westmeath draw
    02 Armagh Dublin
    03 Roscommon Kildare
    04 Fermanagh Armagh
    05 Tyrone Kerry
    06 Mayo Dublin
    07 Kerry Cork Munster Final
    08 Kerry Galway
    09 Meath Mayo
    10 Down Kildare
    11 Dublin Kerry
    12 Mayo Dublin
    13 Dublin Kerry
    14 Kerry Mayo replay
    15 Westmeath Meath
    16 Dublin Kerry
    17 Dublin Mayo
    18 Monaghan Kerry
    19 Dublin Kerry draw

Was a struggle for good to great games during 95-99. The argument that Football was so much better in the 90s loses some of its credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

The Kerry-Galway epic in the rain in 2008 was arguably the football game of the year that season.
    The Galway-Clare drawn semi' in 2018 was scarcely less then the other semi' the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

2010 id go with the all ireland final, 2003 cork Wexford drawn game,2000 cork tipp Munster final, 1998 clare offaly 3rd game, 2001 brilliant Munster championship that year and a Wexford Limerick quarter final all contenders, 2007 was basically any of the 3 cork waterford games that year, 2008 there was a couple of good quarter finals in thurles Wexford v Waterford and cork v Clare, similar level to Waterford v tipperary

All subjective ofcourse

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »
    The Kerry-Galway epic in the rain in 2008 was arguably the football game of the year that season.
    The Galway-Clare drawn semi' in 2018 was scarcely less then the other semi' the following day.
    quick correction that was 1 of the best football games of any year

2010 id go with the all ireland final, 2003 cork Wexford drawn game,2000 cork tipp Munster final, 1998 clare offaly 3rd game, 2001 brilliant Munster championship that year and a Wexford Limerick quarter final all contenders, 2007 was basically any of the 3 cork waterford games that year, 2008 there was a couple of good quarter finals in thurles Wexford v Waterford and cork v Clare, similar level to Waterford v tipperary

All subjective ofcourse

2007 I went with the Munster semi because it was 8 goal thriller with some serious scores. Both qf's were great games it seemed the rivalry between those 2 back then couldn't fail to produce a thriller. The semi final Wat v Limerick was a tense thrilling game too but the standard of hurling was sloppy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUr8jygr8qY

Can't believe I forgot about that!

Added to the list

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It wasn't that epic.

It was a historically wet day, the flavour of the games at the time were defensive (Tyrone were in their prime).

Everyone expected a poor low scoring game, but instead the teams were more open than expected.

It is as s relatively open game given the conditions, if I recall Galway never really challenged Kerry, they got close but never really looked like they were going to win.

I'd put Kerry v Monaghan a year earlier down as a better game.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

2010: Kerry v Cork Munster semi final replay - narrow Kerry win after extra time (also reigning champions against that years winners)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

I would agree with most of this. Except
    2003 AI Semi Wex v Cork Drawn match
    And 2018 had so many but AI semi Clare V Galway drawn match pips it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Interesting that you have 9 games involving Tipperary with just the solitary Tipp win. Not even the brilliant 2010 All Ireland final when Tipp stopped the cats 5 in a row makes your list.

Hard to remember what games were in what years down the years. Obviously All Ireland finals are ingrained in the memory.

Some of my best matches
    2019 Tipp v Wexford
    2018 Limerick v Kilkenny
    20015 - 2017 Tipp v Galway trilogy
    2010 Tipp v Kilkenny
    2009 Tipp v Kilkenny
    2008 Cork v Galway
    2004 Cork v Waterford
    2004 Waterford v Kilkenny
    2002 Waterford v Tipp
    1996 Wexford v Offaly
    1993 Wexford v Kilkenny (drawn game)
    1991 Tipp v Cork (replay)
    1990 Cork v Galway
    1987 Tipp v Cork (replay)

Interesting that you have 9 games involving Tipperary with just the solitary Tipp win. Not even the brilliant 2010 All Ireland final when Tipp stopped the cats 5 in a row makes your list.

Its not a definitive list, just my opinion on the best games in each year that I remember. Tipp won that final pulling up although it was a major achievement to stop the 5 in a row. And no I didn't compile the list thinking how many games Tipp won or lost, just the best games I remember from each year.

Its not a definitive list, just my opinion on the best games in each year that I remember. Tipp won that final pulling up although it was a major achievement to stop the 5 in a row. And no I didn't compile the list thinking how many games Tipp won or lost, just the best games I remember from each year.

That 2010 final was in the melting pot up to the last 5 -10 minutes. The last Lar goal at the death was the first time i felt sure Tipp had it. Fantastic match. One of the great All Ireland finals.

By the way im not asking you to choose Tipp victories or anything like that just interesting you chose one Tipp win out of 9 of your favourite matches with Tipp involved. We all see it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Is YouTube the only potential source for such games?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That 2010 final was in the melting pot up to the last 5 -10 minutes. The last Lar goal at the death was the first time i felt sure Tipp had it. Fantastic match. One of the great All Ireland finals.

By the way im not asking you to choose Tipp victories or anything like that just interesting you chose one Tipp win out of 9 of your favourite matches. We all see it differently.

I must have a look at that match again. It was always my impression that Tipp had it from a good way out. Perhaps I remember matches from my own county(Waterford) better than others. Anyone its only opinions..

I must have a look at that match again. It was always my impression that Tipp had it from a good way out. Perhaps I remember matches from my own county(Waterford) better than others. Anyone its only opinions..

Yea sometimes its hard to remember what year some matches were. Take the Galway v Tipp All Ire semi final trilogy from 2015 - 2017. Some of the games blend into each other. I was at all three and Joe Cannings last gasp point, another Galway forwards last gasp point (Shane Molloy?) and Seamus Callinans 3-9 stand out but a lot of the rest is easy to get mixed up. What i do know is they were 3 fantastic games with a solitary point between them each time.

By the way im not asking you to choose Tipp victories or anything like that just interesting you chose one Tipp win out of 9 of your favourite matches with Tipp involved. We all see it differently.

Would have been the best game of that year for me too.

Kilkenny and Tipp between 2009-12 was about the only positive in a very dreary time for hurling.

• Advertisement

It wasn't that epic.

It was a historically wet day, the flavour of the games at the time were defensive (Tyrone were in their prime).

Everyone expected a poor low scoring game, but instead the teams were more open than expected.

It is as s relatively open game given the conditions, if I recall Galway never really challenged Kerry, they got close but never really looked like they were going to win.

I'd put Kerry v Monaghan a year earlier down as a better game.

I was at this game and finally rewatched it again lately on Eir.

Wasnt much of a game tbh, I think we were winning early and then Kerry hit a quick 6 or so and took over, Galway rallied after HT and got it back to 1 point and that was as close as they got. Kerry were 5 or 6 ahead with 10mins to go.

One thing I learned was that the Joe Bergin goal was lucky, he never looked over his shoulder to see the goalie charging out, so he was likely trying to punch a point and with the goalie gone and it was only half caught it went in for a goal.

The amount of kick outs we lost was criminal. Its amazing that it took until Gavin to figure that out and then you STILL have some who still dont see the importance.

The first Galway kick out the goalie just literally walked for the ball.
    Madness to see how many games could have been won and lost due to that aimless hoofing of the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

I never thought it was that great a game, Tipp were miles better than Kilkenny for the whole match and then they pulled away towards the end.

2009 was a great game because it was nip and tuck all the way and you didn't really know which way it was going to go until Kilkenny got the goals at the end.

I never thought it was that great a game, Tipp were miles better than Kilkenny for the whole match and then they pulled away towards the end.

2009 was a great game because it was nip and tuck all the way and you didn't really know which way it was going to go until Kilkenny got the goals at the end.[/quote

2009 final best game of hurling i was ever at.

Dont think Tipp were miles better than Kilkenny for the whole match in 2010 myself. You were not going to beat that Kilkenny team easily. A team going for the immortal 5 in a row makes it more important. Think there was just a point in it at the break.

Kilkenny kept fighting hard in the second half. Think E Larkin or R Power had a pooreffort on goal mid way through 2nd half that if was scored might put them level. It was touch and go for the majority of the game. A 4 or 5 point lead is nothing afainst Kilkenny.

Listening to Micky Cahill and other Tipp players, because of how good Kilkenny were and the amount of close fought games that Tipp lost to Kilkenny, there were no Tipp players or very few fans who felt that game was handy in anyway. Kilkenny could get 2 goals in a heartbeat. And have done many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

What was the best game of the three decades:

2010s: I think I'd have to go with the Galway v Tipp semi in 2015. It was just epic stuff; probably the best individual performance I've seen by any player in Seamie Callanan and he still came out on the losing side. Shout out to the drawn KK v Tipp game in 2014.

2000's: you could take your pick from any of the Cork v Waterford games. They were all brilliant but you'd have to go with the 2004 Munster final. Classic example of the swashbuckling hurling of that era.

1990s: I just can't remember a lot of the games in great detail so will leave that for others. I remember KK Offaly having some great battles but can't remember if they were actually top quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is YouTube the only potential source for such games?

Yes unfortunately bar the odd archive match that's released.

Other than that, all Intercounty Analysts etc have access to the matches on a portal which they have rights to in a deal between RTE and the GAA

redlead wrote: »
    What was the best game of the three decades:

2010s: I think I'd have to go with the Galway v Tipp semi in 2015. It was just epic stuff; probably the best individual performance I've seen by any player in Seamie Callanan and he still came out on the losing side. Shout out to the drawn KK v Tipp game in 2014.

2000's: you could take your pick from any of the Cork v Waterford games. They were all brilliant but you'd have to go with the 2004 Munster final. Classic example of the swashbuckling hurling of that era.

1990s: I just can't remember a lot of the games in great detail so will leave that for others. I remember KK Offaly having some great battles but can't remember if they were actually top quality.
    2009 and 2014 kilkenny and tipperary best games of the respective decades for me, i'm only old enough to remember the 2nd half of the 90s from what I seen maybe cork offaly in 99

2009 and 2014 kilkenny and tipperary best games of the respective decades for me, i'm only old enough to remember the 2nd half of the 90s from what I seen maybe cork offaly in 99

Yes two fantastic games. How Tipp didn't win at least one of them i'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

There are old matches available on TG4 Player. My brother just mentioned watching Meath v Kildare (1997 Leinster semi-final), and how biased the commentator was against Kildare. I know you always think the ref and the commentator is against your team, but I've just started watching it, and each time he mentioned Brian Murphy, he referred to him as 'the Corkman'. Twice in the first 6 minutes.

By the way, I'm not saying this is one of the best matches ever...just that you can watch it (and others).

Kildare had a really team there, just missed out on either accuracy or range when shooting. It was heartbreaking to see a lovely targeted shot fall into the keepers hands...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

2013 - KK vs Tipp in Nowlan Park. The place full well over an hour before throw in. Unreal atmosphere and the win of course. Complete silence when the teams were announced, then the roar when “addition to the subs, Henry Shefflin”

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Derry v Antrim 2000. A sun drenched iconic Casement Park with a great Ulster sporting spectacle. Maybe the game is exaggerated in my mind as I haven't watched the footage yet. It still is one of my fondest childhood memories. A thing I also remember about that day is that we went to visit my granny's afterwards and the Derry minor goalkeeper was playing out in his garden in his kit in that parish. I miss childhood, things could never be the same again.

Also, Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness were at this game, the biggest figures in politics of our generation. It was the perfect childhood memory.

Advertisement