Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mens Skincare

• 06-05-2019 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭

Specifically for your face, what products do you use?

Ive been using Clinique for Men for ages and while I dont mind spending on good stuff, its a bit over the top.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

Nivea deep cleaning face wash with aloe vera. Tis grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Gael23 wrote:
    Ive been using Clinique for Men for ages and while I dont mind spending on good stuff, its a bit over the top.

Can't beat Clinique in my honest opinion.

They're skin care experts with ranges to cover all skin types (oily,dry,sensitive etc) so I don't mind the extra spend to maintain the condition of my skin which I'm always complemented about.

If you maintain a regular cleansing schedule and do a full and proper cleanse and moisturizing it's worth what you spend in the compliments alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

brinty wrote: »
    Can't beat Clinique in my honest opinion.

They're skin care experts with ranges to cover all skin types (oily,dry,sensitive etc) so I don't mind the extra spend to maintain the condition of my skin which I'm always complemented about.

If you maintain a regular cleansing schedule and do a full and proper cleanse and moisturizing it's worth what you spend in the compliments alone.

Which ones are you using? I have the new super energiser gel but its €52

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I personally think that's outrageous. Skin is mostly genetics and then diet and lifestyle habits. Spending 52 euro on a skincare product is nuts in my view.

Gael23 wrote:
    Which ones are you using? I have the new super energiser gel but its €52

Sorry mate was fully sure I'd replied last night

That he'll is great as discussed had SPF and is supposedly great for anyone who works out doors. I myself work in an office environment so the blue moisturizing hell is more be sorted to my needs.

So I use the whole range but bear in mind I have been a normal skin type, not dry, oily or sensitive (redness or itchy) so we might need to use different products but anyone of their consultants would give you correctly.

So daily I use the face wash with their male Sonic brush and moisturizing using the blue moisture surge gel. I'd also top those up by using their eye products every day around my eyes.

Twice a week when I shave is also use the face scrub and toning lotion pre shave, then use they're aloe gel shaving cream and post shave soother to relieve any irritation or razor burning.

I'd regularly be complemented on how fresh and well looked after my face is so taking care of your skincare does work.

• Advertisement

That he'll is great as discussed had SPF and is supposedly great for anyone who works out doors. I myself work in an office environment so the blue moisturizing hell is more be sorted to my needs.

So I use the whole range but bear in mind I have been a normal skin type, not dry, oily or sensitive (redness or itchy) so we might need to use different products but anyone of their consultants would give you correctly.

So daily I use the face wash with their male Sonic brush and moisturizing using the blue moisture surge gel. I'd also top those up by using their eye products every day around my eyes.

Twice a week when I shave is also use the face scrub and toning lotion pre shave, then use they're aloe gel shaving cream and post shave soother to relieve any irritation or razor burning.

I'd regularly be complemented on how fresh and well looked after my face is so taking care of your skincare does work.
    That’s a bit of a routine.
    I’m not familiar with the blue moisture surge gel? Is it the super energizer one?
    I got sample of the post shave soother but I didn’t think it was needed along with moisturizer.

Gael23 wrote:
    That’s a bit of a routine. I’m not familiar with the blue moisture surge gel? Is it the super energizer one? I got sample of the post shave soother but I didn’t think it was needed along with moisturizer.

It is mate but worth it for sure
    No the blue is max hydrator and the orange is the super energizer with spf40.
    Yes I use both, post shave on areas I shave then moisturizer all over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wait until the L'Oreal little pump boyo's are half price in Superdrug or Tesco, and then stock up.

I like their range.
    https://www.superdrug.com/Mens/Men%27s-Skin-Care/c/mens-skincare?q=%3AbestBiz%3Abrand%3A411010&text=&minSel=1.0&maxSel=16.0&minSlider=1.0&maxSlider=16.0&resultsForPage=20&sort=bestBiz&brand411010=on#

Also buy the odd Nivea product. Find their's good too, and cheap.

It is mate but worth it for sure
    No the blue is max hydrator and the orange is the super energizer with spf40.
    Yes I use both, post shave on areas I shave then moisturizer all over
    I only used the max hydrator for a few years but its just so expensive. I still have some and do like it but its hard to justify the price.

Does a €50 one do it any better than a €5 one?

We are all aging, there's only so little a cream can do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

NIMAN wrote: »
    Does a €50 one do it any better than a €5 one?

We are all aging, there's only so little a cream can do!

Believe it's been shown numerous times that the difference is negligible, 70% of the 50 is probably covering marketing budgets! Vaguely remember reading some article where Lidl/Aldi range came out on top versus various high-end skin brands.

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Believe it's been shown numerous times that the difference is negligible, 70% of the 50 is probably covering marketing budgets! Vaguely remember reading some article where Lidl/Aldi range came out on top versus various high-end skin brands.
    I have skin issues and I would never use Lidl/Aldi products. I don't mind paying a bit for good products within reason.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I have skin issues and I would never use Lidl/Aldi products. I don't mind paying a bit for good products within reason.

Funnily enough, the OH bought some of the Caviar cream a few months back, can't remember if thats Lidl or Aldi, after rave reviews.

Had to stop using it, caused a rash. I suppose not all creams suit all people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Btw don't mean to offend people, if you are happy to pay, why not. I think you can overdo it with skin care personally but that's just my own hunch. And if you get compliments, it obvo works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Reads like the opening scene in American Psycho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Does (tap) water count as a skincare ‘product’?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

On advice I started using a face mask and toner recently. I bought Baxter of California for both. The face mask isn't as feminine as I assumed it would be. Just rub it in, leave for a few minutes and wash off. Looks like a thick face wash really. It's a weekly one for oily skin. I use the toner twice daily. I'm a fan of Osma products for shaving generally so started to use one of their intensive face washes.

My skin has always been troublesome but about a month into using these regularly and they certainly have made a difference (according to my wife and mother too!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Does (tap) water count as a skincare ‘product’?

I'm with you on that. A splash of water is as complicated as it gets.

We'll find out in years to come it's not good all these products seeping into your blood via your skin. It's happening now with sunscreen, cosmetics won't be far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

In independent tests the Aldi and Lidl creams compare very favourably for a fraction of the cost.
    There is a bit of pretentiousness about spending silly money for face cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Don’t think I’ve ever bought cream, have some as presents and used them a few times. My skin is very good for my age and all it gets is a bit of water daily. It’s in your genes and you’re wasting your money lads.

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »
    On advice I started using a face mask and toner recently. I bought Baxter of California for both. The face mask isn't as feminine as I assumed it would be. Just rub it in, leave for a few minutes and wash off. Looks like a thick face wash really. It's a weekly one for oily skin. I use the toner twice daily. I'm a fan of Osma products for shaving generally so started to use one of their intensive face washes.

My skin has always been troublesome but about a month into using these regularly and they certainly have made a difference (according to my wife and mother too!)

Do you use moisturizer also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Do you use moisturizer also?

No, rarely. I have a few in the bathroom - from gift sets mainly but never actually use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Bulldog facewash is excellent. Elave too if you have sensitive skin.

Don't use Nivea as it dries out my skin funnily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I have a mild skin condition around my mouth, I use Child's Farm moisturizer great all over my face and a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

O’keeffes cream for severely dry hands. Just lob it onto your face, look 5+ yrs younger.

Thank me later.

I have a mild skin condition around my mouth, I use Child's Farm moisturizer great all over my face and a great price.

Heard really good things about that range but never used it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Is it perioral dermatitis (tight, flaky skin around the mouth with red bumps)? Just asking cause i have that, got it from using steroid creams 7 years ago and nothing will shift it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is it perioral dermatitis (tight, flaky skin around the mouth with red bumps)? Just asking cause i have that, got it from using steroid creams 7 years ago and nothing will shift it.

Look into something like this, you can also get oils made of the same thing, can do wonders for your skin https://www.pharmanord.co.uk/all-products/eye-health/omega-7

It is and the Child's Farm cream I use is brilliant. It relieves the soreness and makes the redness almost disappear. It's worth a try. Available in Boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Anything for Acne scars? Something that doesnt smell bad or oily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I get seborrheic dermatitis on my face so I use Moo Goo scalp cream. It's brilliant.
    After a shave I use L'Occitaine Cade balm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

In the last year or so I've hugely increased my use of products :o

T-Zone Clay Mask about once a week
    St Ives Blemish Control face scrub about every second day
    UltraPure Witch Hazel rubbed on every morning
    Simple light moisturizer (occasionally with a bit of BB cream mixed in) on every morning.

Very happy with how much it's improved my skin. The masks in particular have a huge effect. It is mostly just for fun, and I wouldn't say it's something everyone else should be doing, but I'm extremely happy with how this routine has improved my skin over the last year or so.

Edit: Also Bulldog Beard Oil every now and then, if that counts.

Not sure I’d be comfortable using BB cream or tinted moisturiser. Does it give much colour?

Not sure I’d be comfortable using BB cream or tinted moisturiser. Does it give much colour?

I bought one that was a touch too dark for my skin, if I put it on alone it would look absolutely ridiculous. I mixed a very small amount of it in an empty moisturizer bottle with some new moisturizer, to a tone that I am happy with. For me it just helps sort a slightly red nose and circles around the eyes (occasionally use concealer as well for the eyes), but it's not noticeable at all on my cheeks or forehead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Am not convinced with all these expensive or even cheap face products. They have a lot of chemicals in them. There is research coming out now about sun creams for example and how the absorbed chemicals cause loads of things including decreased sperm count. So many of the chemicals that are casually put as ingredients in everyday personal products are endocrine disruptors. And estrogenic. It is hard enough for men to avoid estrogen as it is, it has become so prevalent in the environment.

Anyways, I recommend organic virgin coconut oil for skin care. It just has that one ingredient - coconut oil. It's about 4 quid for a jar in Tesco for the organic stuff and will last for ages. It penetrates the skin easier than other oils and is anti-inflammatory, so it's good for those who have skin conditions such as some are mentioning. And the big secret is - after you leave it on for a few minutes use a facecloth to rub off excess. Not a fluffy facecloth but one that has lived a little and has a bit of roughness to it, as that stimulates the skin and exfoliates a bit. Change facecloths every couple of days, so you don't carry over stuff.

Cheap and effective, I promise it's great stuff. 51 year old lady here and that's all I ever use, it cleanses, mosturises, and protects all in one. I have really good skin. And you can use it anywhere - hair, body, feck ya can even eat it - (though I don't like it myself that way).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

What do you recommend for black around the eyes and wrinkles? I know it's from a lack of sleep and years of sunbathing..or at least I think so. I'm 28.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    What do you recommend for black around the eyes and wrinkles? I know it's from a lack of sleep and years of sunbathing..or at least I think so. I'm 28.

Sleep :)

Oatstraw is a great herb for sleep help, a cup or two in late afternoon/evening.

Other natural oils like rosehip or almond oil are good for the eye area, lines and darkness. They are lovely too.

Zorya wrote: »
    Sleep :)

Oatstraw is a great herb for sleep help, a cup or two in late afternoon/evening.

Other natural oils like rosehip or almond oil are good for the eye area, lines and darkness. They are lovely too.

I'll check them out.

I'm a terrible sleeper. I think I need a nice book to read at night to tire my eyes.

I use random face creams and eye creams from boots like L'Oréal for my eyes but I don't know if they're working.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm a terrible sleeper. .

A lot of people are, including myself by times and my adult children. Oatstraw is really good, buy online organic from Baldwins pharmacy. Be with you in a week, 2 teaspoons to a tea pot, brew for a while and strain into cup. Magnesium is worth checking out. Lavender oil on your pillow, couple of drops - my husand calls it ''granny juice'' :D but it knocks him out in minutes. Reading helps - no blue light from phones or devices. Socks in bed. Yes, sounds crazy but it helps :)

Zorya wrote: »
    A lot of people are, including myself by times and my adult children. Oatstraw is really good, buy online organic from Baldwins pharmacy. Be with you in a week, 2 teaspoons to a tea pot, brew for a while and strain into cup. Magnesium is worth checking out. Lavender oil on your pillow, couple of drops - my husand calls it ''granny juice'' :D but it knocks him out in minutes. Reading helps - no blue light from phones or devices. Socks in bed. Yes, sounds crazy but it helps :)

Thanks. I will definitely order some. I have lavender oil at home for my infuser so I'll give that a go tonight.

The blue light filter on my phone turns on at 9pm. It's a great tip for everyone with a somewhat modern phone to put it on by schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I'm confused, what you mean blue light filter, does your phone not just go into sleep mode at night time or whenever you leave it alone.

Some great advice regarding natural oils to use on yourself.
    I still seem to suffer from the occasional few spots/acne on my face, bad diet would be the main reason, but would coconut oil help with this?

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭bren2001

I'm confused, what you mean blue light filter, does your phone not just go into sleep mode at night time or whenever you leave it alone.

Some great advice regarding natural oils to use on yourself.
    I still seem to suffer from the occasional few spots/acne on my face, bad diet would be the main reason, but would coconut oil help with this?

Thank you

It's about using your phone at night and removing the blue light. Effectively, blue light messes with you circadian rhythm. When your brain is stimulated by blue light it doesn't release melatonin as it believes it is still sunny outside. Melatonin is the chemical we associated with darkness and hence sleeping. So using your phone, watching tv, using backlight kindles are not recommended if you want to achieve good sleep quality.

I use an app called twilight on my phone and it removes the wavelengths in the light spectrum.

It's all explained extremely well in Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker. When I do follow all the advice in the book, I wake up feeling rested and ready to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

bren2001 wrote: »
    It's about using your phone at night and removing the blue light. Effectively, blue light messes with you circadian rhythm. When your brain is stimulated by blue light it doesn't release melatonin as it believes it is still sunny outside. Melatonin is the chemical we associated with darkness and hence sleeping. So using your phone, watching tv, using backlight kindles are not recommended if you want to achieve good sleep quality.

I use an app called twilight on my phone and it removes the wavelengths in the light spectrum.

It's all explained extremely well in Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker. When I do follow all the advice in the book, I wake up feeling rested and ready to go.

Thank you, I never knew this before and I always watching the TV to help me fall asleep. I will have to try change my sleeping habits. It will be hard to break that one though as I've been doing it all my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Skin is in pretty good condition but one area I can never seem to sort if a slight redness around my nose/nostrils.
    Any advice?

I also shave my head a few times a week and top of head does be a little tender/slightly reddish.

Any products I could/should be using ?

I started using the new Clinique super energiser gel and I was loving it but I feel like it’s leaving a sticky residue on my skin

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

'Your so vein i bet you thought this song was about you' Carley Simon, sums up this tread perfectly.

decky1 wrote: »
    'Your so vein i bet you thought this song was about you' Carley Simon, sums up this tread perfectly.

Those aren't even the lyrics :rolleyes:

Some lads like to look after their skin, some guys aren't interested. What's the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭lc180

Any reccomendations for moisturiser with SPF?

I saw Clinique mentioned in the thread already so will check that out but any other brands worth considering?

I have an office job wont need it for day to day use. Cheers

decky1 wrote:

If fairness had you read some of the comments you would realise skin care is not solely the domain of the vain. Psoriasis (which I have around my mouth, mild form but still painful at times) is an unpleasant condition and any thing which helps relieve it is good. Why would it bother you that people would share tips on how to cope with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,318 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

lc180 wrote: »
    Any reccomendations for moisturiser with SPF?

I saw Clinique mentioned in the thread already so will check that out but any other brands worth considering?

I have an office job wont need it for day to day use. Cheers
    The Clinique men moisturiser with spf21 is good.
    Simple do an spf30 moisturiser which isn't bad if on a budget

• Advertisement
Advertisement