Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Ultimate Flags of the World Tournament

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I'm still butt-hurt about Bhutan and Albania getting booted out early.

Feck-it, I'll go for Namibia. Its a decent flag.

Marshal Islands flag looks like a depiction of a skid-mark contrail left behind by a star meteor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's been a literal trip around the globe but you, the good people of Boards.ie, have declared that your Ultimate World Flag Tournament winner is...

Marshall Islands

1.jpg

I have had a blast doing this... even though it's all been done pain-stakingly on my phone (except Round 2 which was on a highjacked work computer). It's so great and a bit surreal to bring so many together over bloody colours, shapes and patterns! Thanks so much for all your witty, informative and bonkers posts. It's been class.

You've skippered many a fine tournament Macker but that was the best of the lot. It had its share of questionable results but overall a worthy winner. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

tenor.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Looking back at the initial sceptics who scoffed at the idea of a nerdy flag tournament. They've missed out though - this was great craic! Cheers Omack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,587 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Thank you Omackeral.
    The were countries I'd never heard of, like the winner, and now I feel a little more educated.
    I'm now dreaming of booking a holiday to Majuro Atoll .
    Dreams come true don't they?
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Well done to the winning flag and, indeed, to all the flags that took part. Here is a little video to celebrate you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Omack thanks for all your time and efforts holding this thread together.

Its been a blast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

We should contact the Marshall islands embassy and get Omac an OBE or Iron cross with oaks or whatever award they give out over there.

Oh and thanks for all the hard work was a great distraction.

🙈🙉🙊

Well neither of my favs won, Albania (my heart) or Bhutan ( that dragon!)
    But a good winner overall

Fair play omac, tough days at work this week Obvs :)
    Good comp, better then the insult laden others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah, wonderful stuff Omackeral.

Fantastic stuff like this makes Boards worth it.

My three favourites:

Nepal
    Dominica
    Uganda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Well done op , that was a great distraction for a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Missed the play offs. Annoyed but a family crisis was marginally more important. I would have voted Dominica and Marshall islands so i am happy.

This was a great tournament. Fantastic for a nerd like me and I still learned so much.
    Thanks Omack for doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

im a flag nut , i collect them. do one on the flags of the world that are now gone like confederate, USSR, South Africa, East Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,543 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Thanks Mack, what's next? :p

I'll have a moment of silence for Bhutan, Vanuatu and Foghorn Leghorn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Thanks to the OP, this was fun

We should contact the Marshall islands embassy and get Omac an OBE or Iron cross with oaks or whatever award they give out over there.
    I'd say a flag :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I actually learned loads about world flags from this thread.

Thanks OP for a great thread.

Thanks Mack, what's next? :p

Could do one on US State flags and its territories, maybe even include Canadian Provinces in it also?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Could do one on US State flags and its territories, maybe even include Canadian Provinces in it also?

Another civil war would break the monotony alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Also US cities possibly, or non-nation states (Scotland, North Cyprus, Transnistria etc)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Missed the final, but in the end my one extra vote for Namibia wouldn't have been enough to halt the Marshall Islands juggernaut.

Omack, that was a seriously entertaining game, thanks for running it. I love flags but I was a bit dubious at the start that there'd be enough other people interested to sustain it, but this thread has been great craic. A pat on the back to all who participated, even if you picked the wrong winner. :)

Also US cities possibly, or non-nation states (Scotland, North Cyprus, Transnistria etc)?

Had considered that too. I'll maybe see how a USA/Canada one fairs first and then have a gander perhaps. Isle of Mann, Wales and American Samoa all have pretty sweet ones though in fairness, off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The Principality of Sealand!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Personally, as great as they are, maybe not something with flags straight away again?

But whatever people are happy with.

Arghus wrote: »
    Personally, as great as they are, maybe not something with flags straight away again?

I loved the flags but I know it might not be everyone's thing. Have you a suggestion for something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Cheers for organising Omackeral, I am a sucker for these type of tournament style threads and also love flags so it was a match made in heaven. Hard to argue with most of the flags that made it to the last eight or so.

A proud day for the Marshall Islands. They will be dancing on the streets of Majuro tonight!

• Advertisement

Thought of one actually, national anthems?

Or national symbols of countries? Ireland has the shamrock, Wales has leeks (morto for them) other countries have ...

*scratches head*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Just back home this minute.
    In the door.
    Didnt speak to the wife.

Straight into boards to check the results of this this competition.

G'wan the Marshall islands. :)

I loved the flags but I know it might not be everyone's thing. Have you a suggestion for something else?

Honestly, I don't. Omackeral is the man in whom we trust. I bow to his judgement

US state flags tend to be very generic, about half of the 50 are a coat of arms on a blue field.

There are a few exceptions and of course you have one with the old Confederate flag and another with the union jack so I'm sure they would illicit plenty of strong opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Great thread, was the most interesting thing happening in my life for the last week (says alot about my life lately), missed the semi finals and final last night due to work but overall thats was pretty fun. thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Arghus wrote: »

What about Coats of Arms. He could take the top X most popular surnames in Ireland (or the West in general) and they could be judged on their aesthetic and their motto.

National Anthems; I did think this but honestly there are only a handful of good ones and I can't see people taking the time to listen to them.

US state flags tend to be very generic, about half of the 50 are a coat of arms on a blue field..

First round should see most of the crap ones touched on fairly handily though. 50 states + 13 Canadian provinces/territories gives 63. One short of the magical 64 needed for tournament play. Final spot could be decided by a preliminary bout between various dependent territories e.g. District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. I think it’s a go if enough people are up for it. But obviously I’ll give it a while to breathe first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Earthhorse wrote: »
    What about Coats of Arms. He could take the top X most popular surnames in Ireland (or the West in general) and they could be judged on their aesthetic and their motto.

National Anthems; I did think this but honestly there are only a handful of good ones and I can't see people taking the time to listen to them.

What about national Enblems :) bound to be a few parrots in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

42z2oy.jpg

One way to move on from flags would be sporting crests; similar idea but also different enough that it wouldn't feel like a repeat.

Obviously sport is a big divisor - you either like it or hate it - but we saw the same approach at the start of this thread and it didn't spoil the enjoyment for those who were interested.

You would then have the problem of the puerile inter-club nonsense that poisons the football forum here, and that'd be harder to get around. Probably there'd be fewer interesting crests than flags, but if you put a call out for entries, people would uncover some unusual ones.

Would also give the change of some unusual scorelines like Cabo 5-3 Juve.

So maybe a runner, maybe not, but I think it's an option that could be considered anyway.

First round should see most of the crap ones touched on fairly handily though. 50 states + 13 Canadian provinces/territories gives 63. One short of the magical 64 needed for tournament play. Final spot could be decided by a preliminary bout between various dependent territories e.g. District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. I think it’s a go if enough people are up for it. But obviously I’ll give it a while to breathe first.

Throw in Guam to make up the 64

It's got a tree, and a boat !!!!

1200px-Flag_of_Guam.svg.png

In the immortal words of Jim Corr , " this is a false flag operation " .

Imo ,let the flags end of things rest in peace.

Dont dilute the greatness of this stellar competition.

Focus on more important and topical items,such as .......

.......wait for it !!!

THE GREATEST NUMBER ONE CHART HIT SONG *

* that's my idea Omack,don't be getting notions of claiming it all to yourself, ya hear me !

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I agree.

We've done flags and we've done them well. Let's move on to something else.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I agree.

We've done flags and we've done them well. Let's move on to something else.

Off you go so! Can't wait to take part :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Throw in Guam to make up the 64

It's got a tree, and a boat !!!!

1200px-Flag_of_Guam.svg.png

Needs a double headed chicken and a rug at the side:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Off you go so! Can't wait to take part :D

Ha! I wish I had the time to devote to a thread as much as you had.

Or national symbols of countries? Ireland has the shamrock, Wales has leeks (morto for them) other countries have ...

*scratches head*

Ireland has the harp, you silly goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Thought of one actually, national anthems?

Football club crest even?

How about we run flags of the world again, only this time we're voting for the worst? We can contact the 'winning' embassy to let them know that Ireland has deemed their flag the worst in the world, I'm sure they'd love that! :pac:

Azerbaijan must be the early favourites, given that they initially got two goes in the first round and lost both of them!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

cdeb wrote: »
    One way to move on from flags would be sporting crests; similar idea but also different enough that it wouldn't feel like a repeat.

Obviously sport is a big divisor - you either like it or hate it - but we saw the same approach at the start of this thread and it didn't spoil the enjoyment for those who were interested.

You would then have the problem of the puerile inter-club nonsense that poisons the football forum here, and that'd be harder to get around. Probably there'd be fewer interesting crests than flags, but if you put a call out for entries, people would uncover some unusual ones.

Would also give the change of some unusual scorelines like Cabo 5-3 Juve.

So maybe a runner, maybe not, but I think it's an option that could be considered anyway.

Could be done if you exclude Irish and British club crests. That would eliminate most of the nonsense. Perhaps you could include UK non-league ones, that would be fairly uncontroversial, I reckon. I vote for this lot, although it's mainly because of their name tbh.

AYVhyE5c_400x400.jpg

Zaph wrote: »
    Could be done if you exclude Irish and British club crests. That would eliminate most of the nonsense. Perhaps you could include UK non-league ones, that would be fairly uncontroversial, I reckon. I vote for this lot, although it's mainly because of their name tbh.

AYVhyE5c_400x400.jpg

Sounds like a dodgy ,homo-erotic mining documentary.

Could be done if you exclude Irish and British club crests. That would eliminate most of the nonsense. Perhaps you could include UK non-league ones, that would be fairly uncontroversial, I reckon.
    LoI would be ok to leave in I think. It's the Manc/Scouse posturing that would get tedious quick, so wouldn't say no to leaving out Premier League, say.

To leave out Irish clubs, you'd omit a definite contender in Warrenpoint Town -

Warrenpoint_Town_Football_Club_badge.png

Look at the crappy bunnies! :pac:

Though the beauty of the flags was that there was only a set amount, so there was a nice balance between dull tricolours, repetitive Arab stuff, random animals, and striking colour combinations. The same could be said for chocolate/crisps as per previous Omack specials.

Football crests/jerseys would have to be people making suggestions, and that would probably be weighted towards the bizarre, which might get a bit repetitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

A friend of mine used to be involved with his local Kildare club. He was particularly proud of the centre of the crest, it being his favourite tipple. :D

bush%20celtic%20club%20crest2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It's really down to Omack where we go next, or anyone else if they're willing to host. As said above, any football related comps would need to omit the Premiership or Scotland.

Maybe world cup jerseys? Sports logos from around the world? Team mascots?

The choice among any category could be very large, but you could start with some published list of top 100 or so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement