Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options
  • 07-03-2014 1:05pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With local elections in May, what questions will you ask canvassers when they come calling?

Caveat: this thread is for questions only. At a later stage Boards.ie will try to arrange responses from local politicians.

We would like to start conversations within the community as to what local issues are affecting users across our Regional Forums. With everything from flooding to water charges and household tax, local issues are firmly in the spotlight, we would like to get site users chatting these issues.

We are going to try to engage with the regional candidates and hopefully run a number of Question & Answer sessions with them over the course of the campaign. It should provide some interesting conversation for the site.

Obviously we want to clamp down on candidates electioneering on the site. We are going to treat candidates in the same way as we would businesses; they can only post about themselves or their policies if they have a verified rep account. You will get your opportunity in due course.

I'm putting the thread rules in bold below.

1. Questions only.
    2. No canvassing.
    3. No slagging off politicians or their parties.
    4. Mods may decide to create, change or abolish the rules at any time.
    5. Posts that ignore these rules will lead to the poster being banned for 1 week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

"How the hell did you find me?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 KOTSC

Il post one question for now, and may post more questions at a later time.

(Question) In light of a news story earlier this year of a horse dying from sulky racing, would you agree and concur with my view that its time to ban sulky racing from public roads enforced by strict fines/penalties for those who may Ignore and breach such a ban ?

http://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/local-news/animal-cruelty-as-sulky-horse-driven-to-death-1-5854324

http://www.nationalist.ie/news/local-news/sulky-racing-horse-left-for-dead-at-side-of-road-1-5856633

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

1. No questions for Government parties.

2. Why should I give you a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

Due to the fact that the money raised by the houshold/property tax was not used to fund local services (as was promised) will you support abolishing LPT and reimbursing those who have paid, in full, including a letter of apology for the lies and/or broken promises?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

nice_very wrote: »
    Due to the fact that the money raised by the houshold/property tax was not used to fund local services (as was promised) will you support abolishing LPT and reimbursing those who have paid, in full, including a letter of apology for the lies and/or broken promises?

that is not true....Waterford city and county councils have received many millions more from central government than was raised from the property tax

• Advertisement

that is not true....Waterford city and county councils have received many millions more from central government than was raised from the property tax

Was the money raised by the property tax given directly to the council? Yes/no.

7upfree wrote: »
    Was the money raised by the property tax given directly to the council? Yes/no.

yes---AND MANY MILLIONS MORE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They just stuff the literature through the box and scarper.

nice_very wrote: »

yes I have...now how can you explain the fact that more money was given to the local authorities, than was taken in property tax??...I hate to rain on your parade, but if you wish to provide factual evidence to the contrary, please feel free to do so!

• Advertisement

the point I made was that the money was promised to us to go to fund local services, since 160m was cut from local authorities to pay bondholders, and that money instead went to fund Irish water.. is that so hard to understand? LA funding already came/comes from the taxpayer, this extra money was fraudulently obtained IMO.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Guys, can you please keep this thread to questions only and not turn it into a general discussion thread,

Thanks

yes---AND MANY MILLIONS MORE!!

Which came from different funding. I ask again - where did the LPT money go? And I'll class this as a question I'll be asking at the doorstep.

7upfree wrote: »
    Which came from different funding. I ask again - where did the LPT money go? And I'll class this as a question I'll be asking at the doorstep.

"different funding"??? <snip>....The reality is that Waterford City and County Councils received more money back from Central Govt Funds than was taken in from the Property Tax...To try and say the property tax wasn't used for local services is a joke quite frankly, when the facts show otherwise.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Any further off-topic posts will be deleted,

This thread is for questions only, it is NOT for general discussion. If you want to discuss Waterford politics in general then go here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

As these are local elections, I don't expect anything massive from the candidates. I'd be keeping my questions to things like:

- Can you explain the impact which the merging of the City and County Councils will have upon both the county and for individuals?

- The roads and footpaths in my area are in terrible condition - can anything be done to improve them before I do any more damage to my car or turn my ankle?

- What can be done to reduce the amount of vacant retail units in the city centre?

- The City is celebrating it's 1100 anniversary by the Vikings, why have no formal links been established with our Scandanavian cousins, i.e. twinning of cities?

- Green spaces and youth facilities in my area are at a premium - can anything be done to improve this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Question 1 Can you tell me just one thing you will 100% do/change if elected ?

Question 2 Will you resign/step down in 12 months if you have not achieved this ?

Question 3 Will you put this in writing now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

Particularly with regard to FG & Labour candidates.

Can you update me on the progress made , if any , in finalising the pensions of the glass workers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Gardner

Labour Candidates

your party lied to us before the last general election and your party admitted to it....are you going to lie to me again in this local election and shrug your shoulders back at me.......... will you resign within 12 months if you lie/fail on us again?

FF Candidates

you caused the mess we are in, you caused my brother/sister/son/daughter/aunt/uncle/cousins/friends all to emigrate, how can you stand here in front of me and say we offer an alternative

And for the record, i will be voting independent, i dont know who for yet but we made a good choice in last GL and i hope we follow it up with a few more in this LE.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 foobally

- Infrastructure for bicycles, pedestrians and especially disabled people is appalling in this city. What are you going to do to make this city accessible to all, not just car-users?
    - What did you do and/or what will you do to ensure the CityBikes bike rental so popular in Dublin and currently planned for Limerick, Cork and Galway is brought to Waterford?
    - Ballybricken is a hidden gem, if it got a do-up and a bit of advertising it would be a fantastic tourist spot for the city. Are you going to take steps to reverse this area's decline?
    - Do you agree with the merging of the city and county councils? If so, why? If not, what did you do to stop it happening?
    - What will you do to increase the amount of jobs locally, reduce migration from Waterford and reduce the amount of vacant units in town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Swissarmyknife

Will be asking government parties about these,and also some more questions on the lies we have been told by them since they came to power.

ScreenShot2014-04-17at125330_zps4f717a14.png

I'm getting tired of deleting off-topic posts so any further posts that ignore the thread rules will lead to the poster being banned for 1 week,

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

-Do you support a future for the Irish Language in Waterford, if yes, what do you intend to do about it?
    (Followed by a brief discussion on what I think they should do about it.)

i'll be asking the sinn fein candidates "why do support the imposition of a property tax in northern Ireland, which costs housesholds over 1000 STERLING and is based on the value of the property?"
    and i'll also ask
    "are you opposed to the property tax and water charges in the republic in order to just get votes, similar to your stance on bin charges, which sf now fully support?"

that would be just for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

"are you opposed to the property tax and water charges in the republic in order to just get votes, similar to your stance on bin charges, which sf now fully support?"

that would be just for starters

Unlike let's say. "Not another red cent" (FG)

or "Labours way or Frankfurts way"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Sinn Fein Candidates:

Has your party lost further credibility now that your leader has been arrested on suspicion of involvement in a woman's murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

Q1: What will you do to avoid the blatant and outrageous waste of tax payer's money by the council on projects like the 'Braemor Road Enhancement Scheme' (12 months to resurface a couple of miles of road and add cycle tracks!)

Q2: What will you do to avoid the blatant and outrageous waste of tax payer's money by the council on projects like the cycle paths and cycle traffic lights on Warrington Place/Herbert Place when no cyclist in this country has the slightest idea what traffic lights are for and all the cycle lane traffic lights do is cause more environmental issues by making car drivers wait even longer for a green light!

Lots more questions from me, but they wouldn't be pc enough to be on a public forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

More posts deleted. Cut the chat please. As per the OP - Only post questions that you wish to put forward to candidates.

Start another thread or use the Megathread if you wish to discuss election topics.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

I have been asking them why have you been so against uniting the county councils to improve the administrative functioning of the very divided county of ours and what action plan have you got to best market and attract companies to waterford as a whole.

• Advertisement

I have asked the sellouts to point out where the "cost savings" are in the merger, with the two administrative centres being kept open. NO EXPLANATION. BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ONE.

Advertisement