Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting up to Dublin for work

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Agree with Toxic Paddy you can do a deal with hotels. We have a Corporate deal in one of the city centre hotels for the lads coming over from the States and UK @ €70 per night and that is slap bang in the city centre so will be cheaper on the outskirts at €40 ish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

There's a hotel at the top of Santry avenue I would say would definitely do a deal. They built in the wrong place and business isn't great, but it would be perfect for your needs. I think it's a days inn.

It's this one. Nice hotel, bad placing.

http://www.metrohoteldublinairport.com

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The saving grace is that I start work at 8, and most days should finish up around 3-3:30, so that puts me out of the really peak rush hour traffic times. The commute will still be long and expensive nonetheless, of course...

Looking at it from a practical point of view to be in for 8 you would have to be on the road at 5:30 am and finishing at 3:30 you won't be home before 6 in the evening. I genuinely don't see that as being sustainable long term. Your going to be so tired in the evenings you won't have time to enjoy your family.
    I know that with a family in tow it's not so easy to up sticks and move but I think it's something you have to give serious thought to in your situation

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

Update: I hate to admit it, but the naysayers were pretty spot on.

Using public transportation to get to Santry on time for an 8 o'clock start is horrible. I've been having to take the JJ Kavanagh at 3:30 in the morning, and getting the 6 o'clock bus home in the evening if I manage to catch it in time - this leaves me at home for about 4.5 hours. The later buses or trains get into Dublin just a tad to late to get to Santry by 8 using the Dublin bus system from the city centre. I avoid driving up due to petrol costs and the wear + tear the drive would cause my car.

I've ended up renting a room in Dublin for Monday-Thursday nights, so I head up early Monday morning, and come back Friday evening. It doesn't give me much time at home, but it does buy time to search around to find a home closer to Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

We'll done, it really was the only viable option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Using public transportation to get to Santry on time for an 8 o'clock start is horrible. I've been having to take the JJ Kavanagh at 3:30 in the morning, and getting the 6 o'clock bus home in the evening if I manage to catch it in time - this leaves me at home for about 4.5 hours. The later buses or trains get into Dublin just a tad to late to get to Santry by 8 using the Dublin bus system from the city centre. I avoid driving up due to petrol costs and the wear + tear the drive would cause my car.

I've ended up renting a room in Dublin for Monday-Thursday nights, so I head up early Monday morning, and come back Friday evening. It doesn't give me much time at home, but it does buy time to search around to find a home closer to Dublin.

I didn't mean to come across as a naysayer, it's just that I have seen the experiences some of my colleagues went through and it's not pleasant. I even considered it myself for a while, except was gonna commute by motorbike. Pure madness when I think of it now. My original thought was that I would save a fortune as I have a place in Waterford. But when I did the maths, I would end up saving less than €50 a week.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out as you had hoped. But unfortunately Ireland and its transport systems are not designed for long distance commutes. The public transport just does not give what a person needs to travel this way.

One of the few positives is that when you are home at weekends, you'll have have the energy and state of mind to really enjoy the time with your family. There are plenty of homes coming on the market so maybe look at renting for a year or two with your family until you make the final decision whether to buy or not.

I've been renting in Dublin for close to 15 years now. A lot of people say its dead money, but the way I look at it, I'm relatively free to move when I want and if you find a decent landlord, they will try and do their best to hold onto you.

Best of luck with everything, hope it all works out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Its the part of Dublin you are going to...if it had been Citywest or along the N7 outside the city then it would have been more viable...but to get to Santry from Newlands Cross is a track in itself, let alone from Waterford.
    To split up the week why not come home the odd evening too.It won't matter once you're not doing it daily.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought you were driving, if I knew you were only relying public transport I'd have just said no straight out.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

The petrol is too expensive for me to drive up on a daily basis. I could drive up though on Monday and drive back down Friday, given that I have the room I rent now in Dublin; however, I don't see much point as I'll save only a couple of hours per week in that case, but will spend more money on petrol than I would for a simple return bus ticket (and I sleep away on the bus, which doesn't hurt).

We're currently checking out houses all around, to see what would be the best fit for us in terms of cost, commute time, community, etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Even somewhere like Carlow is doable and it's not a million miles away from either Waterford or Dublin. The works at Newlands cross is something that is going to cause a few headaches but if its finished before the summer is over and the kids are back to school then it will save a huge amount of time..

Technically it's still commuting, but Dublin to Carlow is 45 mins with about another 20-30 mins driving on the M50 depending on the time of the morning. Would save the hassle of getting the bus too. A decent diesel car would probably do that a week on just over one tank of diesel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement