Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it generally harder to get into GP or BST medicine training schemes?

Options
  • 12-03-2021 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I was wondering which scheme is harder to get into generally? I'm finishing up intern year and planning to do a year of stand-alone before applying for both the GP and BST schemes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

It depends which BST you're talking about.
    I'll assume it's the BST in general medicine with the RCPI?

In which case, the GP scheme is harder to get on to - purely from a numbers perspective though.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

Just saw that from title that you're talking about BST med instead of anything else.
    Sorry about that, unexpected Saturday shifts clearly make me tired! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

The impression I had was that they are both very achievable if you do a little prep, do an audit, go on courses etc. This is with the caveat that you have an EU passport. I do think that most people end up getting into the speciality which they want to in the end, at least thats what seems to have happened to my class a few years down the road. I don't have personal experience of either though

Advertisement