Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Entry Medicine

Options
  • 19-06-2020 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

I hope someone can shed some light on a query I have regarding the entry requirements to mature medicine.

I'm 29, I have a BSc Hon degree in Food Science with a 2.2 outcome. I got 445 points in my leaving certificate (2010), with Biology as the only science subject I took and I have no third langauge (What was I thinking... I know).

On RCSI's website they state Mature Entry applicants need to:

Meet the minimum entry requirements in the Irish Leaving Certificate Examination or equivalent, including RCSI pre-approved Access to Science programmes.

Can anyone tell me if not having obtained 480 points, or not having done Chemistry for my LC rules me out of the 5 year course, and if not having a third language in my LC rules me out of the 6 year course?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I will move this to a forum you might get informed answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

Conny6 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I hope someone can shed some light on a query I have regarding the entry requirements to mature medicine.

I'm 29, I have a BSc Hon degree in Food Science with a 2.2 outcome. I got 445 points in my leaving certificate (2010), with Biology as the only science subject I took and I have no third langauge (What was I thinking... I know).

On RCSI's website they state Mature Entry applicants need to:

Meet the minimum entry requirements in the Irish Leaving Certificate Examination or equivalent, including RCSI pre-approved Access to Science programmes.

Can anyone tell me if not having obtained 480 points, or not having done Chemistry for my LC rules me out of the 5 year course, and if not having a third language in my LC rules me out of the 6 year course?

Hi there, I've been accepted to the 5 year programme in RCSI. I didn't have LC chemistry, however, I did take UG chemistry during my first year. While I did get over the LC points, I don't think this is analysed much. They take a holistic view to you whole application, with your personal statement and interview weighing a large part. They'll assess you personally, your education and your work experience/positions an offer the appropriate 5/6 year course if you tick the right boxes. I think they really just seem to want to see a well rounded candidate and once you sell a unique spin of yourself, you're in with a good shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Conny6

Hi there, I've been accepted to the 5 year programme in RCSI. I didn't have LC chemistry, however, I did take UG chemistry during my first year. While I did get over the LC points, I don't think this is analysed much. They take a holistic view to you whole application, with your personal statement and interview weighing a large part. They'll assess you personally, your education and your work experience/positions an offer the appropriate 5/6 year course if you tick the right boxes. I think they really just seem to want to see a well rounded candidate and once you sell a unique spin of yourself, you're in with a good shot.

Hi Chromosome T,

Thank you for your reply! I’m glad they take a holistic approach, hopefully my chemistry modules from college will stand to me.

I think you’re right about the well rounded candidate and putting a unique spin on yourself. I’ll have to capture all that in my application.

Thanks again!

Advertisement