Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Horse Racing Glossary

Options
  • 05-04-2014 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Im a ten year veteran of backing losers, but there are still things to this day that I dont understand about horse racing.
    With that said, I was thinking of a thread where posters can ask and answer about the definitions of horse-racing lingo.

Ill kick things off:
    What does it mean when a horse is 'on the bridle'?
    What is a sales 'breeze-up'?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Good thread.
    What does it mean when a horse is 'on the bridle'?

When a horse is off the bridle it means that it's not giving its full effort, or that it has run its race and can't give any more, despite the rider's best efforts. Generally when horses are enthusiastic they'll keep a hold of the bit (i.e. reins are a little taught), but when they're off the bit/bridle, it means that they're not interested and 'drop' the bit/come off the bridle.

What is a sales 'breeze-up'?

This is a sales where, before the actual sales (sometimes the day before, sometimes earlier in the morning), potential buyers can watch the horses do a piece of work on a gallops.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

Here is an example of the breeze ups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5GZTVfZSbI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

In reference to "bridle horses", some jockeys can make a horse appear to be travelling much better than he actually is. Paul Carberry is a pleasure to watch and seems to relish winning every race as easily as possible. If his horse is "off the bridle" the chances of that horse winning are remote.

AP Mc Coy is the total opposite and its nearly his trademark for his mount to be "off the bridle" almost during the race and get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

convert wrote: »
    Good thread.

When a horse is off the bridle it means that it's not giving its full effort, or that it has run its race and can't give any more, despite the rider's best efforts. Generally when horses are enthusiastic they'll keep a hold of the bit (i.e. reins are a little taught), but when they're off the bit/bridle, it means that they're not interested and 'drop' the bit/come off the bridle.

If his horse is "off the bridle" the chances of that horse winning are remote.

Most horses come off the bridle at some stage towards the finish of a race. Some can still find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

Most horses come off the bridle at some stage towards the finish of a race. Some can still find.

Certainly but I cant remember many of Paul's winners coming off the bridle and actually picking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Guitar pete was a clear one the other day but that is prob a rare ride from carberry to be off te bridle and find loads

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

My understanding of on/off the bridle might be a bit simplistic (or wrong) but basically when a horse wins on the bridle it cruises up passing the others without much movement/encouragement needed from the jockey!! When they go off the bridle and drop the bit emits usually in the last furlong or two when the jockey starts pushing like f*ck! Some horses find a bit off the bridle or here's don't

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Good thread.
    When a horse is off the bridle it means that it's not giving its full effort, or that it has run its race and can't give any more, despite the rider's best efforts. Generally when horses are enthusiastic they'll keep a hold of the bit (i.e. reins are a little taught), but when they're off the bit/bridle, it means that they're not interested and 'drop' the bit/come off the bridle..

Is this some sort of old school dictionary definition?

You honestly think when a horse comes off the bridle it's not giving full effort or they aren't interested.

Think Big Bucks and Inglis Drever et al would disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

Well my question , has nothing to with Racing Terms , but never the less its Breeding related and something I have never understood. Why is Artificial Insemination not used in the equine world. Seems to work well with their bovine cousins??.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

mdwexford wrote: »
    Is this some sort of old school dictionary definition?

You honestly think when a horse comes off the bridle it's not giving full effort or they aren't interested.

Think Big Bucks and Inglis Drever et al would disagree.

Why are you so confrontational about the description I posted? It didn't come from any dictionary, just from experience and general observations.

With regards to a horse coming off the bridle not being interested: many who come off the bridle in a race may have lost interest, are disliking the going, or are feeling the pinch and or need some encouragement to give to their full potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Why are you so confrontational about the description I posted? It didn't come from any dictionary, just from experience and general observations.

With regards to a horse coming off the bridle not being interested: many who come off the bridle in a race may have lost interest, are disliking the going, or are feeling the pinch and or need some encouragement to give to their full potential.

I'm not don't be so sensitive.

Every horse comes off the bridle in every race bar the very odd one so I disagree with your assessment.

Doesn't really matter anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Here is an example of the breeze ups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5GZTVfZSbI

Alf Stewart is going to buy a few horses at Goresbridge

MfKTxVC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

hucklebuck wrote: »
    Alf Stewart is going to buy a few horses at Goresbridge

MfKTxVC.jpg

Flamin' gullaahh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

mountai wrote: »
    Well my question , has nothing to with Racing Terms , but never the less its Breeding related and something I have never understood. Why is Artificial Insemination not used in the equine world. Seems to work well with their bovine cousins??.

Because there are enough trickies in the racing game without introducing AI into the mix ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

Because there are enough trickies in the racing game without introducing AI into the mix ;)

That could be easily sorted with Genetic Mapping. I'm sure there has to be some other underlying problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

That could be easily sorted with Genetic Mapping. I'm sure there has to be some other underlying problem.

There was a previous thread on the issue.
    There are a couple of reasons why it is outlawed.

1. Breeding lines are getting closer and closer together. If there was a relatively speaking unlimited supply of semen for Galileo or the other popular stallions. Everyone looking to breed the next superstar would be going for the big names and further down the line it would be really hard to prevent crosses.

2. Breeding industry is a million/billion dollar industry for big organisations like coolmore, darley etc.. If AI was the norm it would have a serious effect on how these organisations operate. They employ a lot of people and it could destroy such businesses/jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 irishlassy1

I know that they use AI with sport horses, and it's not allowed with race horses, it has to be a natural service :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I find it hard to believe someone who has been punting horses for ten years doesn't know what it means to be on or off the bridle!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

I find it hard to believe someone who has been punting horses for ten years doesn't know what it means to be on or off the bridle!

I think the OP means, what does it REALLY mean. As opposed to, "My selection came fourth even though he was never off the bridal before the furlong pole'

Advertisement