Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europcar ‘’Damage’’

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭spuddiesal

On the 25th of June I sent this email back to the Debt Collector and I've heard nothing back so hopefully i'm in the clear. I didn't have any photos but I pretended I did. Hopefully my bluff worked.

''Can you please send me photos of the same door without the mark?

Can you please send me CCTV footage from the East Midlands drop off point? The car was parked up for 14 hours before the assessment was taken. I will review the 14 hours of footage. This could show the car get damaged between returning and assessment. (Which I believe as my photos are dated 13/03/2020 18:54 -18:59 with no door damage)

Under the terms and conditions 12.6. ''You have fourteen (14) days from the date on which the email or the letter detailed in section 12.5 above is sent to you to challenge your liability for the damage identified and/or the charges levied by us. If you do not challenge within this period of fourteen (14) days, we will invoice the charges to you and will charge the debit/credit/charge card you supplied to us at the time of pick-up with either''
    I've never received an email or letter from Europcar. I'm still waiting.

Until I receive All of the above requested information I won't be paying anything

Regards XXX''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

spuddiesal wrote: »
    On the 25th of June I sent this email back to the Debt Collector and I've heard nothing back so hopefully i'm in the clear. I didn't have any photos but I pretended I did. Hopefully my bluff worked.

''Can you please send me photos of the same door without the mark?

Can you please send me CCTV footage from the East Midlands drop off point? The car was parked up for 14 hours before the assessment was taken. I will review the 14 hours of footage. This could show the car get damaged between returning and assessment. (Which I believe as my photos are dated 13/03/2020 18:54 -18:59 with no door damage)

Under the terms and conditions 12.6. ''You have fourteen (14) days from the date on which the email or the letter detailed in section 12.5 above is sent to you to challenge your liability for the damage identified and/or the charges levied by us. If you do not challenge within this period of fourteen (14) days, we will invoice the charges to you and will charge the debit/credit/charge card you supplied to us at the time of pick-up with either''
    I've never received an email or letter from Europcar. I'm still waiting.

Until I receive All of the above requested information I won't be paying anything

Regards XXX''

That's really weird that a law firm would be the first one to contact you TBH.

Normally they have a department in Europcar that deals with accidental damage.

With your rental though, if you drop back the car out of hours you are still responsible for all damage that occurs to it. (i.e. until the car is inspected and the rental is ended)

Hence it's not recommended to drop back out of hours (unless you have zero excess or your own excess insurance)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

redcup342 wrote: »
    That's really weird that a law firm would be the first one to contact you TBH.

Normally they have a department in Europcar that deals with accidental damage.

With your rental though, if you drop back the car out of hours you are still responsible for all damage that occurs to it. (i.e. until the car is inspected and the rental is ended)

Hence it's not recommended to drop back out of hours (unless you have zero excess or your own excess insurance)

According to OP they dropped the keys to an employee who said they'd check it in the morning whe. It was brighter.

Not something I would have let them do, but there you go...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

spuddiesal wrote: »
    On the 25th of June I sent this email back to the Debt Collector ....

In your first post, you call them a 'lawyer firm'. Are they writing to you on stationary dressed up to make them look like a firm of lawyers or what's the story?

And how did you get to this stage? You must have ignored previous correspondence for Europcar to pass the case on to debt collectors or a firm of solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭AuldDaysul

TheDriver wrote: »
    You should try AutoReisen in canaries. They never seem anyway bothered about their cars which is refreshing. You don't even give a card when booking, only on collection of the car.

I always rent with Cicar in the canaries, extremely laid back, pay in cash when you pick up the car, no credit card needed!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

AuldDaysul wrote: »
    I always rent with Cicar in the canaries, extremely laid back, pay in cash when you pick up the car, no credit card needed!
    Yep, Cicar & Autoreisen are the way to go in the Canaries. Cash or card on collection. Full zero-excess insurance included in the base price. Totally laid-back attitude. Great peace of mind.

Advertisement