Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Helping neighbour with NCT booking

• 09-06-2020 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

My neighbour is in his late 70s and wants to get his car NCT’d. He has no computer/internet experience and only has a very old mobile phone (not smart phone). He used to just call and make appointment and received confirmation text no problem. But currently there are only online bookings available which he obviously can’t do. He called the NCT office but they can’t help him.

I was thinking I could use my email but that could cause problems or even be illegal. I don’t know what advice to give him other than give up driving which seems a bit extreme to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Since we now live in an uncompromising world - if this came before the courts it might force a change in the procedure due to adverse publicity for the NCTS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

I would recommend seeking advice from the gardai on this, they're essentially making compliance difficult (if not impossible) for a significant number of people with this, there is no requirement to even have a phone here and they must accommodate as such.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I was thinking I could use my email but that could cause problems or even be illegal.

Why would it be?

Why would it be?

Data protection I'd imagine - on both sides, OP may have their neighbours consent but doubt the NCT would give theirs.

bladespin wrote: »
    Data protection I'd imagine - on both sides, OP may have their neighbours consent but doubt the NCT would give theirs.

Ah yes, this old chestnut. Consent for what? Article 1.1 of GDPR states the applicability of the regulation, i.e. not to companies - "This Regulation lays down rules relating to the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and rules relating to the free movement of personal data."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Create a new email address for him. Who is to know that he isn't using it.
    Book the appointment for him and print out the email.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Ah yes, this old chestnut. Consent for what? Article 1.1 of GDPR states the applicability of the regulation, i.e. not to companies - "This Regulation lays down rules relating to the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and rules relating to the free movement of personal data."

NCTS holds personal information on the car owner, they can't share his/her details.

Also, from NCTS.ie
    'Customers of those vehicles that had a test due date prior to 28 March 2020 are now invited to make a booking for one of the centres reopening'
    When is his NCT expiry? This might be what is stopping him booking over the phone.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

NCTS holds personal information on the car owner, they can't share his/her details.

They don’t have to. Anyone can bring a car for NCT as long as they hold the VLC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭User1998

Illegal ?? Just book the NCT with your email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

You are overthinking this OP, just book the nct with your email and get on with it....
    I have booked nct's for my wife's car on my email......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The NCT won't worry about who books the car.
    You can even NCT it for him. The owner of a car doesn't have to be the person that NCT it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP - I had a similar problem and rang the number on the website and explained - you must have got on to one of those underpaid instruction nazis - just call again, let in you are yerman or GDPR might give you issues as they will only talk to the car owner typically - have the reg handy - and make the booking for him. I have a few elderly people who din’t have iphones or mobiles or use email and it boils my blood the disinterested script responses they get from jaded call centre minions. I think last time we followed up and complained ( with a bank) we got e200 per incident. Took the sting off it as they legally have to not provide a service for all who need to avail of it and facilitate them.The NCT fixed line phone girls are usually very helpful - try them again for him. Fair dues for trying to help. I specify with everyone I deal with all correspondence by post - gets over a multitude of spam and virus nonsense and makes them make an effort for their salaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

So booking has been made. I used my credit card and hope that I get paid back. What happens next year I wonder. Interestingly I note that according their T&Cs the email address is accepted as personal data and that “Additionally you warrant to us that all data provided by you to us is accurate, complete and up-to-date.”. It just gets more interesting doesn’t it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

So booking has been made. I used my credit card and hope that I get paid back. What happens next year I wonder. Interestingly I note that according their T&Cs the email address is accepted as personal data and that “Additionally you warrant to us that all data provided by you to us is accurate, complete and up-to-date.”. It just gets more interesting doesn’t it.

Not really....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

The car will probably be due another NCT i'd say, depending on the age of the car it might be 2 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I know it used to be the case that the card used during the booking wouldnt be charged until day of test and they used to say that you should ensure card was still valid until date of test.
    You have used your credit card. Will they need you and your card there on the day? I dont know tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

mickdw wrote: »
    ...You have used your credit card. Will they need you and your card there on the day? I dont know tbh.

The last few times I brought cars for NCT, I had my card ready at the counter but the staff did not ask for it.

It just gets more interesting doesn’t it.
    Not really. Anyone could own the car next year.

Checked it out:

Thank you for your recent email. Unfortunately, due to restrictions all NCT appointments must be made via the online booking facility at this time.

I can understand they're doing what they can but as this is a requirement for every car they should have a mechanism for every owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

…….And they keep all your personal information for 9 years!. Whats all that about. More like the East German Stasi collecting intelligence than a business concerned with car safety.

And this…
    The Road Safety Authority contacts a sample of customers for the purposes of customer service research. If you do not wish to be contacted to undertake customer service research please send your name and address to: surveyoptout@rsa.ie and you will not be included in any future surveys.

..... why should we have to go to the trouble of opting out of something we never asked for .

..got a call today from DPD delivery services, delivering goods at 3pm? But I never ordered anything…Ah, but you didn’t opt out. LOL.
    … sorry couldn’t resist it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Road Safety Authority contacts a sample of customers for the purposes of customer service research. If you do not wish to be contacted to undertake customer service research please send your name and address to: surveyoptout@rsa.ie and you will not be included in any future surveys.

..... why should we have to go to the trouble of opting out of something we never asked for .

I’d imagine in this case it would be to get an accurate spread of users rather than those who specifically tequest to participate in surveys which would skew the results.

Where on the website is this from?

I was at the NCT in Ballymun last week. Car was booked in under someone else's name. Their debit card was refused. I had no log book.

I just gave them my debit card, they charged me, and put it through the test. It's not difficult. "Mountain out of a molehill" springs to mind here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Nowhere in the data protection legislation does it state that you can’t help out an elderly or otherwise unable neighbour with making a booking for an NCT on their car.

If you’re insured to drive it you can even take it to the NCT for them.

Advertisement