Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

evil_seed wrote: »
    You're back row is all mixed up IMO

Butler will be moved to 7, as soon as Papali'i comes. I'm nearly sure of it. Oliver is good IMO, better then some said, but not 1st choice

the rest is about E.Masterson or SOB at 6 or 8. I've got no firm opinion about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    Butler will be moved to 7, as soon as Papali'i comes. I'm nearly sure of it. Oliver is good IMO, better then some said, but not 1st choice

the rest is about E.Masterson or SOB at 6 or 8. I've got no firm opinion about it

Personally I think you're more likely to see SOB at 6 and Boyle at 8, not that it matters much what number they wear as the back row will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I think our best back row now is some combination of SOB, Butler, and Boyle. SOB is bullish about his ability to play 8, but I prefer him at 6. Papali'i will have his work cut out displacing Boyle.

He will cause havoc.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1280865804536381440
    He was fast to get tired, even when he played XIII. So probably a regular and efficient impact n°20 at first times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    With good conditioning and the right attitude papalii could be a very exciting signing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

By my extremely rudimentary calculations the average age of the senior squad is ~25.5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
    Back row looks light when you factor in SOB and Masterson inevitable injury and the totally unknown nature of the new lad. Would make a huge difference if he can make a good contribution

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    I watched through some Bay highlights and he definitely had hands on hips more than you'd want to see especially near the opposition tryline.
    But when he get going he's some wrecking Ball.

JOC will whip him into shape and I get the feeling from Andy if your not fighting to start and annoyed when you don't you're not gonna be around long

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

FFS, hope it's just based on the "theorical maximum" (12 months)

It’s generally 9-10 months when working side by side with physios and treatment centres everyday, with everything going on have to think he wasn’t able to see the aus 7s physio for a few weeks which would of set him back despite being able to communicate via zoom or what not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Back row looks light when you factor in SOB and Masterson inevitable injury and the totally unknown nature of the new lad. Would make a huge difference if he can make a good contribution

In fairness to Masterson he was pretty much involved in most games last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    Papali'i looks like just the right type of powerful ball-carrier Connacht needed. He should be pretty skillful too, coming from NZ. It doesn't look as if he's tied to any other country, so he could qualify for Ireland by the 2025 Autumn internationals if he stays around that long. He'd be 32 by then.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    Papali'i looks like just the right type of powerful ball-carrier Connacht needed. He should be pretty skillful too, coming from NZ. It doesn't look as if he's tied to any other country, so he could qualify for Ireland by the 2025 Autumn internationals if he stays around that long. He'd be 32 by then.

i honestly dont think anyone in the IRFU would have had that high on the list of USPs when looking at papali'i. Yes he may qualify... but anyone looking at a project that lasts 5 years shouldn't be looking at a 27 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

You've got a Friend in me
    reminds me of a younger Nick Williams tbh

reminds me of a younger Nick Williams tbh

I haven't dared to say but yeah that was my goal, 15kg lighter:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    There’s an awful lot of hype here around a 27 year old who has basically never played professional rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    He reminds me of Kieran Read.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    There’s an awful lot of hype here around a 27 year old who has basically never played professional rugby.

There’s an beautiful lot of hype here around a guy who can carry a ball across the ganeline, which we had not had for 5 years (Naoupu)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd love to see Boyle fighting it out for 8 with the newbie. I see a much higher ceiling for Boyle at 8 than Butler (who works his bollocks off but is a better 7 which hopefully we'll get to see next season).

Right about Butler at 7
    Boyle is too light to play there. I don't think everyone should be Nick Williams but between 108 kg (Boyle and Butler), and him (130kg),
    there are the mobile ball-carrying 8s I love, 115-120kg, Big George, and now Big Papa:D

It's not like we were like Montpellier with too much mass around the park.

Roux, Robb, Daly, and now Sullivan and Papali'i are the 5 only among 43 who are above average corpulence
    McAllister for a LH slightly maybe, and Kenny but he may slim a bit
    let's admit 7 heavy guys

on the other hand, Healy, Heff, Aungier, Thornbury, Dowling, Murray, Oliver, Butler, Porsh have huge qualities but not physical guys (Boyle to a lesser extent I admit)

So we have (now, with this big n°8), a better balanced squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Right about Butler at 7
    Boyle is too light to play there. I don't think everyone should be Nick Williams but between 108 kg (Boyle and Butler), and him (130kg),
    there are the mobile ball-carrying 8s I love, 115-120kg, Big George, and now Big Papa:D

Jesus you really are obsessed with players weights😂 il be more impressed by what he does on a pitch for Connacht more so than the number that appears on the scale.. don’t set the expectations too high there’s a reason he hasn’t played super rugby

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Jesus you really are obsessed with players weights�� il be more impressed by what he does on a pitch for Connacht more so than the number that appears on the scale.. don’t set the expectations too high there’s a reason he hasn’t played super rugby

The reason is because he chose to play XIII until recently

I don't say he's player of the year.
    I say he brings a profile comparable to Naoupu's. And it's very worthy in our quite light pack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Just to let you know Connachta most of those published weights for players are probably way off, Marmion had a weight put down for him at one point and There was no way he was that heavy, can’t remember the figure exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    The reason is because he chose to play XIII until recently

But even then, he was playing semi-pro level.

Like, best of luck to the guy but it's an odd signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    He was a signing at short notice to fill a gap. If he stays fit and makes a few appearances he's done as much as you can expect for the CV. There will potentially be an upgrade available from another province in 2021.

He was a signing at short notice to fill a gap. If he stays fit and makes a few appearances he's done as much as you can expect for the CV. There will potentially be an upgrade available from another province in 2021.

Think you underestimate his role. He's a beast. Like Nick Williams. We don't ask much more to him, Ulstermen did not either to N.W, we need this ball-carrying abilities.

How long haven't you seen a Connacht forward

1) putting another forward on his arse
    2) offloading when tackled by another 2 forwards

Naoupu was the last one to do this. 1 specific profile of this type (I don't say all forwards) was badly needed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    I think it's fair to say that now that we have the next Billy Vunipola on the way we should be a much more formidable outfit.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say that now that we have the next Billy Vunipola on the way we should be a much more formidable outfit.

exactly:cool::cool:

more seriously, we have a more balanced squad, that's all I keep saying

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    We'll just have to see if he will be allowed to / be fit enough to loiter in the back field for receiving kicks like he is in those clips. Also, he makes good breaks running an outside in line off rucks, will he be able to reproduce that against top level defenses?

Hopefully he can, but as yet he's unproven at this level.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    We'll just have to see if he will be allowed to / be fit enough to loiter in the back field for receiving kicks like he is in those clips. Also, he makes good breaks running an outside in line off rucks, will he be able to reproduce that against top level defenses?

Hopefully he can, but as yet he's unproven at this level.

My main issue is will he adapt to wet and slow rythm...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement