Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car sharing

Options
  • 09-07-2020 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

my company is not allowing employees to car share to work.
    im just wondering can they do this legally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭3DataModem

how is it any of their business how you get to work?

How do they know you are car sharing?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is it a Covid thing? They may just want to make sure people don't infect one another.
    That said I doubt they have legal standing.

Ask your HR what their reasoning is.

Why would you want to car share? Nothing worse than having to make small talk in the morning rather than relaxing and listening to to the radio or worse being tied to someone else's schedule for going to work and coming home.

Makes perfect sense also from a covid perspective, how are you keeping 2 metres distance from someone in your car and they are also handling the interior of your car which could pass on the virus if either of you were infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Why would you want to car share? Nothing worse than having to make small talk in the morning rather than relaxing and listening to to the radio or worse being tied to someone else's schedule for going to work and coming home.

Makes perfect sense also from a covid perspective, how are you keeping 2 metres distance from someone in your car and they are also handling the interior of your car which could pass on the virus if either of you were infected.

Good for the environment less ware and tare on your car. Saves alot of money depending on the lenght of the commute. I save rougly 1000 a year doing it just on fuel.
    Its alot of money to pay to listen to the radio on your own.
    Yes it's because of covid. Other people get the bus train to work. I think that is much riskier and is allowed.

Good for the environment less ware and tare on your car. Saves alot of money depending on the lenght of the commute. I save rougly 1000 a year doing it just on fuel.
    Its alot of money to pay to listen to the radio on your own.
    Yes it's because of covid. Other people get the bus train to work. I think that is much riskier and is allowed.

Well worth the 1k per year or more even to have your own space and not be stuck to someone else's schedule. Being stuck to the schedule is the worst bit, I might stay in bed longer some morning and start later if I feel like it or might go somewhere else other than home in the evening on a whim etc etc. All made impossible or very awkward if stuck having someone in the car with you. No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

my company is not allowing employees to car share to work.
    im just wondering can they do this legally?

They are legally required to have health and safety plans.

You will find that increasing numbers of activities, both work and leisure, prohibit car sharing outside of your immediate household. It's very much their business to have policies that prevent disease, even if they're not 100% legally enforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Interesting question. Is it a company owned car? Do they pay the insurance on it?

Advertisement