Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone get rid rid of all their social media?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well ahead of you B..

conspiracy-theorist-tinfoil-hat.jpg

I've always wondered the algorithm behind it, it can be downright creepy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

The only social media site I have an account on is Facebook. And even then its rarely updated. Other then photos I've been tagged it, 2015 was my last upload / post. I mainly just use messenger on the phone.

I'm 26 so most my peers find it mad that I'm not on snapchst, instagram etc.
    Its not that I have anything else social media, I just don't find it fun or engaging in the slightest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've always wondered the algorithm behind it, it can be downright creepy
    Seems to be pretty straightforward from what I can see A. Friends of existing friends in your feed and people who search for your name on the site.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

i'd say fb picked one of my latest suggestions from starting to talk to the person on whatsapp

the instagram ads are what's creepy.
    you have a conversation with someone at coffee, leave the phone behind, but get back to it and there's ads for what ye were talking about.
    i don't know if that's worse than the phones actually listening or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

bluewolf wrote: »
    i'd say fb picked one of my latest suggestions from starting to talk to the person on whatsapp

the instagram ads are what's creepy.
    you have a conversation with someone at coffee, leave the phone behind, but get back to it and there's ads for what ye were talking about.
    i don't know if that's worse than the phones actually listening or not

Try disabling permission for microphone for Instagram and Facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Bleh, it's what you make it.

I can see how it would mess up kids who've known nothing else all right, but for us older folks it's just another communication/sharing tool. Also it's harder for younger folks to grasp that much of the perfect Instagram posts can be a veneer. They are literally just a snapshot. They aren't a depiction of 24 hours a day in that person's life. That sh1t is hard for a young person and I certainly am glad that social media didn't become a regular thing until I was already in my 20s.

As said, there is loads of tailoring you can do to your Facebook account. I just use it for having a laugh and for following music pages. I don't follow any news pages.

I only use Twitter for TV show discussions and breaking news - and straight to the link, no reading of comments.

And Instagram for really high quality photography (along with friends of course - some of whom take beautiful shots).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've been on FB since 2007 when one of my best friends was travelling the world and used it to keep in touch. A lot of people seem to have joined up on FB around that time...

Now I try to limit my time and posts on FB and I know for sure when I was in a very bad place five years ago with crippling anxiety, the aftermath of my Dad's death and struggling with the demon of alcohol dependency and generally going nowhere, it wasn't heartening to see people on FB parading their apparently perfect happy shiny lives and careers for me to compare mine to...

Did a big cull of FB "friends" that I didn't know or care for and that really helped, to have less attention-seeking narcissism crowding out my FB daily feed.

A number of friends - real life ones - have closed their FB accounts in the past 5 years. They did so to get away from the distracting nonsense and for a much needed "digital detox." At some point I may well do likewise, but will keep my FB account in place for now.

Never joined Instagram, Snapchat or Twitter and never intend to.

Facebook does have its uses - keeping in touch with family, relations and friends in distant places and reconnecting with old acquaintances. But the endless updates on the banality of others' lives is just rubbish we could all do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I deleted FB for about a year because I disappeared from my previous life an wanted to get away from it all but I rejoined about a year ago just to keep up to date with family.

But I have to admit it was a lifesaver when my dog went missing, I sent a message to the local community FB page and they immediately sent me a message from someone local who had found my dog.

So all in all I'd say it's definitely worth it for that alone.

You just have to learn to ignore the crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Why do people consider WhatsApp social media??

It's just a free text app surely??

I think it's brilliant. You can text whoever you like from wherever in the world they are for free??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

pinkyeye wrote: »

I think it's brilliant. You can text whoever you like from wherever in the world they are for free??

It does groups which is something beyond normal text messaging. And then others can add you to any group without your approval and you cannot leave that group without informing the group that you have left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

pinkyeye wrote:

Its not free, if it sounds too good to be true.....

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Its not free, if it sounds too good to be true.....

If it's free you are the product

I’ve never paid anything for it anyway. Well, apart from my mobile data plan but if you’re sending SMS messages on a locked down Nokia from the 1990’s you’re still paying for a plan of some kind.

Just because you haven't paid anything doesn't make it free. If it's free you are the product. They are making money selling on all the information that are gathering from you
    https://lifehacker.com/stop-using-whatsapp-if-you-care-about-your-privacy-1825719172

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jaysus, reading this thread just makes me realise how addicted I am to social media :-( I’m your person who scrolls mindlessly for ages and have been thinking about it a lot recently, some changes have to be made. It’s not like I’m in my early 20s either, I’m 34!!!

If most people are honest I'd say they're addicted to social media or their phone. Apps are designed to be addictive.

I barely let it out of my hands, it’s just instinct to have it with me all the time practically. I’m looking forward to changing that though.

leahyl wrote: »
    I barely let it out of my hands, it’s just instinct to have it with me all the time practically. I’m looking forward to changing that though.

addicted to my phone also, i make sure to turn it off regularly, boards is effectively the only social media i do, ive never used other platforms, phones are lethal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Never have instagram or snapchat, only facebook and twitter. Ditched twitter months ago due to the 99% bile that seems to make up its content, with everything always descending into nasty slagging matches. Didnt miss it for one second, and have no intention to go back.
    Only keep facebook to keep in touch with some people abroad and some groups I like, but otherwise I'd ditch that too.
    Down to only 2 whatsapp groups.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    addicted to my phone also, i make sure to turn it off regularly, boards is effectively the only social media i do, ive never used other platforms, phones are lethal

I never actually turn off the phone! Well, I did a few months back for a few weeks where I turned it off at night while charging, but now back to charging it while it’s on. It’s next to my bed too. I’m not that bad that I’m checking it during the night or anything (lol) but it shouldn’t be next to my bed really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I don't think most people do. I reckon there are far more people who use it, because it's free texts.

Personally, I have a pay as you go phone and I'll use WhatApp so as not to eat into my credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Got rid of facebook years ago, deactivated my account and blocked any emails asking me to re login, glad I never uploaded much photos to the site it really is a cancer.

Instagram I took one look at once and thought "no fecking thanks" - plus they own all your photos once you upload them, you lose all rights.

I still have twitter, it's anonymous and I use it for following astronomy/science related accounts, some football humour ones too - I stay the f*ck away from politics there, real cesspit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Don't know is there much worse then the people who go to a music or sporting event and spend half the time recording it on their phone for snapchat.

Same thing happens on nights out, about 10 snaps of a person drinking or dancing.

I was on snapchat for 3 or 4 months before I realised how sad it all is, attention seeking, validation nonsense.

People now are afraid to actually enjoy an experience, they feel like they have to take numerous videos and pictures of the experience to show people they enjoyed it.

And instagram which has turned into an app where people take selfies of their face or arse for likes and act like they are providing a service. Typical comments from the girls such as - "stunning girl". And then thirsty lads drooling at it.

I knew a girl before and I'd say her grandad wasn't dead 10 minutes before she was on telling people on facebook and instagram how much she loved him. Bearing in mind a lot of these people would be people she had never met or people she had met once. Is that what it has come to? Using death in the never ending search for likes?

You seem to have the head on straight if you're thinking like that OP. Get rid of them all and you'll be a lot happier.

YEs, I would not consider it social media at all.
    Exactly as you say, a free text/call app and very useful.

Mokuba wrote: »
    Don't know is there much worse then the people who go to a music or sporting event and spend half the time recording it on their phone for snapchat.

Same thing happens on nights out, about 10 snaps of a person drinking or dancing.

I was on snapchat for 3 or 4 months before I realised how sad it all is, attention seeking, validation nonsense.

People now are afraid to actually enjoy an experience, they feel like they have to take numerous videos and pictures of the experience to show people they enjoyed it.

And instagram which has turned into an app where people take selfies of their face or arse for likes and act like they are providing a service. Typical comments from the girls such as - "stunning girl". And then thirsty lads drooling at it.

I knew a girl before and I'd say her grandad wasn't dead 10 minutes before she was on telling people on facebook and instagram how much she loved him. Bearing in mind a lot of these people would be people she had never met or people she had met once. Is that what it has come to? Using death in the never ending search for likes?

You seem to have the head on straight if you're thinking like that OP. Get rid of them all and you'll be a lot happier.

I have noticed idiots filming at funerals, wtf is that about ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yes I have. I'm typing this from my trusty old Remington Typewriter this morning ...

do companies really create free services?

• Advertisement

It's not free, you are giving away your privacy. You are giving up lots of information which they gather to sell on to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

It's not free, you are giving away your privacy. You are giving up lots of information which they gather to sell on to others.

Instead of WhatsApp, just switch to Signal. It's a free, open-source app that does much the same job and does not collect data on its users.

Instead of WhatsApp, just switch to Signal. It's a free, open-source app that does much the same job and does not collect data on its users.

I have Signal but don't have many contacts using it. When I dropped WhatsApp I went all in on Telegram as I have lots of contacts using it, I'm in a few groups and use Telegram bots for some stuff I run online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd say mainly because of the group chat feature - many whatsapp groups were probably previously facebook groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I hear Donald Trump plans to livetweet his own funeral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I hear Donald Trump plans to livetweet his own funeral.

Tomorrow hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

The only platform I use regularly are forums. And while I do have a Facebook, Twitter account and such those accounts only exist for competitions. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

BetsyEllen wrote:
    The only celebrities I follow are ones who genuinely inspire me such as Rozanna Purcell, in fact she may be the only celeb I follow full stop.

I find that funny that you mention her. I feel the complete opposite about her and think she is the 'type' of one on Instagram who would melt the head off you, she melted my head anyways. I used to follow her all the time and watch all of her Instagram Stories...but that was the thing that led me to having to mute her stories, and then unfollow her altogether. IMO she was just too much with the stories, absolute bore-fest of a woman and a complete mé féiner. I actually noticed my mood lifting a small bit after a few days of not being one of her followers. Was listening to one of the 2 Johnnies podcasts the other week with her on it and thought I'd be able for her. But no..literally cannot bear to see or hear that woman.

Advertisement