Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vietnam Feb, 2020

Options
  • 14-10-2019 4:27pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of taking a 2 week break early next year. Few nights in Hanoi and 2nd week in Hoi An.

A few questions: I'd like to do a 2d. /1n. cruise on Ha Long bay. There's a lot on offer, would anyone have any recommendations? Ideally I'd like to do it in some luxury and afterwards head straight on to Hoi An.

What's the best way of getting from Hanoi/Ha Long to Hoi An? I was going to fly it as i didn't realise there was a rail network (Google Maps doesn't give it as an option) however i now see that there is. Which would be better rail or air?

Any other tips or input greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,622 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

humberklog wrote: »
    Thinking of taking a 2 week break early next year. Few nights in Hanoi and 2nd week in Hoi An.

A few questions: I'd like to do a 2d. /1n. cruise on Ha Long bay. There's a lot on offer, would anyone have any recommendations? Ideally I'd like to do it in some luxury and afterwards head straight on to Hoi An.

What's the best way of getting from Hanoi/Ha Long to Hoi An? I was going to fly it as i didn't realise there was a rail network (Google Maps doesn't give it as an option) however i now see that there is. Which would be better rail or air?

Any other tips or input greatly appreciated.

Best way to get from Hanoi to Hoi An is to fly to Da Nang airport. Its around 20-30 min by taxi from Da Nang to Hoi An.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah thought as much. It was the allure of an overnighter through Indochina that got me 2nd guessing. But reality is I'd be sorry about 2 hours into a 16hour journey.

I'll have a pick up arranged for Da Nang to Hoi An anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,622 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

humberklog wrote: »
    Yeah thought as much. It was the allure of an overnighter through Indochina that got me 2nd guessing. But reality is I'd be sorry about 2 hours into a 16hour journey.

I'll have a pick up arranged for Da Nang to Hoi An anyway.

Don't forget to apply for your e-visa a well.

Here is the official website.

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Done this a while back.

The hotel in Hanoi organised the whole halong bay trip.2d 1n.
    Guide collected me at the hotel and stayed with us all the way through the trip and dropped
    us back at the hotel door in hanoi when finished.
    Cant remember the name of the tour company though sorry.

Flew to Danang from Hanoi and stayed 1 day there.Nothing much to see there.

Got a public bus to hoi an and stayed the week there.Nicest part of Vietnam it was too.
    The place I stayed had free bicycles to use for guests.Were great for getting around.

I can find the name of the place if you want.Lovely spot.They done all the laundry and organised transport back to Danang too.

stratowide wrote: »
    Done this a while back.

The hotel in Hanoi organised the whole halong bay trip.2d 1n.
    Guide collected me at the hotel and stayed with us all the way through the trip and dropped
    us back at the hotel door in hanoi when finished.
    Cant remember the name of the tour company though sorry.

Flew to Danang from Hanoi and stayed 1 day there.Nothing much to see there.

Got a public bus to hoi an and stayed the week there.Nicest part of Vietnam it was too.
    The place I stayed had free bicycles to use for guests.Were great for getting around.

I can find the name of the place if you want.Lovely spot.They done all the laundry and organised transport back to Danang too.

I'm good for Hoi An, I've booked a nice villa a little east of the town so fairly handy for the town or up to An Bang beach. Place comes with bikes and a manager of sorts to organise lifts etc.

I'm going to do the cable car ride in Danang up to the French theme town...because it looks nuts.

Doing a bit of research on Hanoi/Halong I see that booking hotel and cruise together is a good option.

I see there's an airport nearer Ha Long called Cat Bi. It's only 1h25m away as oposed to 3 hours back to Hanoi. I might look into doing that as I'd like to be getting off the boat and heading straight down to Hoi An.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Can I suggest doing a 3D 2N Halong Bay cruise instead? You won't regret it!

2D 1N is too short and doesn't give you enough time to enjoy it.

We flew from Hanoi to Da Nang. The villa you're staying in in Hoi An sounds very similar to the one we stayed in.

^^

The villa is called Boutique Villa, Ca Private Villa.

Yeah I've been weighing up the 2/1-3/2. But the 2nd day is of a 3/2 is loaded with a lot of activities that might not be suitable or up my street.

Advertisement