Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone interested in providing opinions on a new watch project I'm doing?

• 02-10-2019 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Hopefully most people will recognise my username as someone who likes to peruse the watch forum.

I'm currently engaged in a very interesting (to me!) watch project - don't worry it ain't no McManus :D

I think it'll offer something that currently doesn't yet exist on the affordables market yet. 1st physical prototype has been created with a few more on the way.

If this is against forum charter Wibbs please let me know - but I think it should be ok - I'm not selling anything (yet) but would be interested in some discrete feedback from watch-lovers.

The only reason I'm not putting it all out in the open yet is due to wanting to keep the project on the low-key for now, hopefully once designs/specifications are firmed up more I'll be able to put something out in the open officially.

If there's anyone interested in providing thoughts on my current design (which is more a proof of concept from the factories) then please pm me your email and I'll get in touch privately. I'm probably just seeking 5-6 people at the moment since it's still all early stages - am serious enough that I've ordered 3 prototypes from factories to check manufacturing quality/consistency so it's not all just pie in the sky dreaming.

If it all works out - there might be a kickstarter involved where I can hopefully share some of my love of mechanical watches with others, it's definitely not going to be a profit led motivation for me (the day job pays much better ;) ) but rather providing something affordable to people who may enjoy something different.

Best,
    Third

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hey Thirdfox,

Would love to lend a hand, a wrist or even just an eye ;)
    If you think I might be of any use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

Interested in a squint also!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Edser

Yep, PM sent..

Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Definitely give a dig out!

PM sent :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Thanks for all the PMs so far - I might just wait a little longer to see who else replies and I'll be sure to write back to everyone.

Thanks for all the offers of help - great to see so many people are willing and interested :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thirdfox wrote: »
    If this is against forum charter Wibbs please let me know - but I think it should be ok - I'm not selling anything (yet) but would be interested in some discrete feedback from watch-lovers.
    Feck, no TF, go for it and best of luck with it. :) Oh wait, ye all* have already. Sure don't mind me like... :D:D

*have no idea why I went all Dolly Parton "ye all" there. I may, no, do need therapy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »

*have no idea why I went all Dolly Parton "ye all" there. I may, no, do need therapy.

Dolly is more a Y'all? No? :P

banie01 wrote: »
    Dolly is more a Y'all? No? :P

He's an Irish Dolly :D

He's an Irish Dolly :D

There's a lot of things I've considered doing to/with Wibbs!

We can add motorboating to the list now! ;)

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a99a439166c4c8e16bca48336c0d60c5c757bdd46&rid=giphy.gif

Thanks for the PMs guys - I'll be in touch shortly with the extra details.

For everyone though - it'd be great if you could take 3-4 minutes of your time to fill out this survey on your watch buying habits/features you want - it should be totally anonymous so feel free to lob abuse at me all you like.

As I was writing up this survey for boardsies I thought I might as well look at including the WUS/reddit/facebook crowd too - but right now I've just put the link up for you guys:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScHR7QfKEwTmWBzFC3M46ghQKJsbQQBoRL_kpLrW69qkIY04g/viewform?usp=sf_link

If there's any issues with the survey please let me know.

Thanks for the OK @wibbs - let's see if this thing takes off :D

• Advertisement

I've completed the survey and I fear my involvement in your projects 1st model at least ;) is at an end.

I'm not a wearer of Dress watches and tend to just swap straps on a tool or chrono to make it slightly "dressier".

I will help out in anyway I can tho.
    The stigma some have towards made in china for mechanicals is quite strange, considering the amount of partially completed high quality movements and cases that are shipped to Switzerland for enough finishing to allow them to be "Made in Switzerland"

Interesting complication and design, coupled with good quality will go a long way to building interest.

The very best of luck with it TF!
    Now if ya want to convince your Chinese buddies to do a reasonably priced Sinn 155/Heuer 1550 homage...
    Well then :P
    Take my money ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

If it ain't too late...

I've completed the survey and I fear my involvement in your projects 1st model at least ;) is at an end.

I'm not a wearer of Dress watches and tend to just swap straps on a tool or chrono to make it slightly "dressier".

I will help out in anyway I can tho.
    The stigma some have towards made in china for mechanicals is quite strange, considering the amount of partially completed high quality movements and cases that are shipped to Switzerland for enough finishing to allow them to be "Made in Switzerland"

Interesting complication and design, coupled with good quality will go a long way to building interest.

The very best of luck with it TF!
    Now if ya want to convince your Chinese buddies to do a reasonably priced Sinn 155/Heuer 1550 homage...
    Well then :P
    Take my money ;)

Honesty is always the best policy - it's definitely not for everyone but hey maybe once you see the design and "innovations" you might be tempted back in :D - once you see the complication you'll realise why I went for dress watch (despite divers/chronos being much better western sellers).

As for reasonable heuer 1550 homages there actually is one I believe - not available new anymore but who knows maybe drop HKED a message on WUS:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fsot-ray-wong-bundeswehr-homage-heuer-bund-seagull-st19-chronograph-1901-like-hked-4682375.html#/topics/4682375 - they come up on the second hand market too every so often.

He's on the Chinese forum often and does lots of St19 chronographs.

I imagine $299 is a lot less than what the 1550 goes for? :D

As for myself - no homages (or at least knowingly - dress watches can look much of a muchness - hence I want to try something new/exciting).

He's on the Chinese forum often and does lots of St19 chronographs.

I imagine $299 is a lot less than what the 1550 goes for? :D

As for myself - no homages (or at least knowingly - dress watches can look much of a muchness - hence I want to try something new/exciting).

I will be keeping an eye on the project and tbh, if it's something that catches my eye I will no doubt pile in ;)
    But my own current taste would be of no help in your planning

Thank you by the way for that Ray Wong lead!
    I have something to try and find now ;)

Thank you by the way for that Ray Wong lead!
    I have something to try and find now ;)

Thank you or curses? (I love being an enabler :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Just my two cents. I already have a dress watch and the watch type I have multiples of are sports/divers watches. Reason being I don't often wear suits and I can wear sports watches with my normal clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'm very interested.
    My only issue would be budget.
    But if it turns out to be a nice/quirky watch (no idea what all this movement talk is about :)) that I like and can't be gotten elsewhere I know I'll find it hard not to jump in.
    I've been holding off on buying a proper dress watch to done extent because of the sameness in a lot of the ones I can afford.
    Good luck with the adventure <jealous face>

oxocube wrote: »
    Just my two cents. I already have a dress watch and the watch type I have multiples of are sports/divers watches. Reason being I don't often wear suits and I can wear sports watches with my normal clothes.

It'll need to be a large order for any chance of the factory doing them at a reasonable price - MOQ is 300 units so it's kinda go big or go home - so definitely it's not about marketing to us boardsies - unless everyone buys 20 each for friends and family :P - on the other hand if the target audience is "the world" or at least the English speaking world surely there'll be at least 300 people interested if it's a good product idea despite the form factor (dress) being a more niche area than divers/chronos.

So seeking info from boardsies is definitely more about getting feedback from our little community - it'll have to be marketed (somehow - I still need to find out how those micro-brands get featured on the watch blogs...I suspect it's advertising money - I'll have to be more reliant on word of mouth I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Did the survey. I wish you all the best with the project and will follow this thread with interest, good luck. Hoping for pictures at some point! :p

Maybe stating the obvious but I think if you're going above the standard €100-€200 range at all the watches need to be real good. Obvious quality in design, build, materials and solid movement. The big Japanese companies make pretty good watches in the < €400 range, thats what is setting the bar.

Me personally. If it was solid and I really liked it, yes, why not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Did the survey, watching this with interest :)

Maybe stating the obvious but I think if you're going above the standard €100-€200 range at all the watches need to be real good. Obvious quality in design, build, materials and solid movement. The big Japanese companies make pretty good watches in the < €400 range, thats what is setting the bar.

Me personally. If it was solid and I really liked it, yes, why not.

Definitely yes - I think getting people to pay above 200 for a Chinese based watch will be difficult unless great value proposition is there. The people who have seen what this project is going for will see in my document summary that it's competing on the technical side against Swiss/German watches that cost around €6000 to €9000 - as otherwise why not just get the brand name Swiss if it's only say 3x more than what I'm trying to build? At 6% of the Swiss/German cost hopefully it becomes a much more attractive proposition.

I can guarantee that the Swiss/German build quality will certainly be better than a €350 watch but for a €5000+ premium I'd say anything less would be completely unacceptable :D - of course that's not to say I'm aiming to build shoddy watches - not at all. But you won't be finding anglage or black polishing at a €350 price point that you'd expect at €9000.

Just did a quick check and I believe Citizen/Seiko (or Grand Seiko) don't offer the technical complication I'm trying to do - so the Japanese brands won't be offering an apples/apples comparison of value. But I accept your point that despite that some people will still be looking at this from the viewpoint of - well I can get a nice Orient/Seiko/Citizen for <300 - why would I pay more for this *Chinese* watch?

I dont think anyone who is genuinely looking at a €6000 watch would be swayed by a €350 Chinese based project even if it was technically on a par. Those kinds of watches are bought only to some degree for technical superiority I think, but are to a large degree just expensive jewellery that relies heavily on origin and brand name.

After all why would anyone buy an expensive watch if they could get a digital quartz that holds the time just as well if not better and has 200m water resistance for a pittance compared. Expensive watches are bought for the pleasure of it with a bit of vanity thrown in I think. Not sure that's your market no matter how good the watch is.

I dont think anyone who is genuinely looking at a €6000 watch would be swayed by a €350 Chinese based project even if it was technically on a par. Those kinds of watches are bought only to some degree for technical superiority I think, but are to a large degree just expensive jewellery that relies heavily on origin and brand name.

After all why would anyone buy an expensive watch if they could get a digital quartz that holds the time just as well if not better and has 200m water resistance for a pittance compared. Expensive watches are bought for the pleasure of it with a bit of vanity thrown in I think. Not sure that's your market no matter how good the watch is.

Not sure I can agree with your reasoning here.
    Yes I can certainly agree that expensive watches are often a vanity purchase.
    However!
    If nothing else, particularly on this sub forum and on other corners of TZ-UK and Watchuseek...
    There is a large subset of watch purchasers, fans or aficionados...

That find the mechanics, the technical differences between movements, the difference that can be attained by regulation and maintanence in the accuracy of timekeeping are all of massive importance to quite a large subset of purchasers.

Many mechanical watch owners start off wanting a grail watch, from that initial interest a curiosity develops that sees many of those people start to move towards an interest in microbrands, vintage or new designs with a quirk.

I am not hugely knowledgeable "watch guy" indeed as a hobby its something that has only started to grab me in any real manner over the last year or so.
    I do have good knowledge on markets, segmentation and identifiction.
    I'd not dismiss this watch on the basis of a digital quartz doing the same job.
    The allure of an enamelled dial and a rare movement complication are a far bigger draw to a watch, than the made in china moniker will put off.

Its aimed at a particular group of WIS, who in the main want uniqueness, want a quirk, and want a story.

Definitely agreed - anyone who is shopping for a Patek/ALS tourbillon isn't going to take a second look at a Sea-gull tourbillon for example (unless extremely "patriotic" though ironically/incidentally the domestic Chinese love the Swiss brands).

But I wager there are people who are looking at a Swiss tourbillion and think - I'd like a tourbillon - but I don't want to pay Swiss tourbillon prices.

That's the audience I'm targetting - the mechanical watch lovers who like interesting/different complications but want it in an accessible (price-wise) watch - without the extras that Swiss cachet brings.

Btw - my proposal isn't a tourbillon - those are dime a dozen now from Chinese companies - but it gives an example of the sort of people who are attracted by 6000 - 9000 euro watches' features but would only like to pay 500-1000 euro (to be honest I haven't checked what Omega et al's tourbillon pieces' costs are but I'm certain they're not 500 euro :D ) - Chinese tourbillons do sell - despite your entirely correct observation that a digital quartz would be much more accurate.

As for "expensive" - it really seems to vary from individual to individual - see the debate that takes place on the WUS affordables forum on what is an "affordable" - some want sub $20 aliexpress watches, some categorise sub $100, $500, even $1000 as "affordable".

A 350ish euro watch won't be targeted at the people are looking at buying a family heirloom at this price point - or this one being their "one and only watch" (though I'd love it if anyone would consider it) - but it's more targeted at people who have a smattering of X00 and X000 euro watches who might be interested in getting an "affordable" (relatively) technical complication - that hopefully doesn't look half bad either :)

This discussion is really helpful to me though - makes sure I'm clear in my head who I see as the people who may be interested in the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Very good counterpoints being made. And please bear in mind I'm not at all trying to talk it down, just trying to give a perspective from, well, my perspective. Really Interested in the thread/project.

I would agree that it will be looked on differently from people who are into watches. I'd count myself into that although not as strong as a watch enthusiast or a collector. I'd say you'd have a thing there from watch enthusiasts and with it being a worldwide community/market there is probably enough in it if the watch is good. I was thinking from a regular guy who wants to splash a bit on himself.

Very good counterpoints being made. And please bear in mind I'm not at all trying to talk it down, just trying to give a perspective from, well, my perspective. Really Interested in the thread/project.

I would agree that it will be looked on differently from people who are into watches. I'd count myself into that although not as strong as a watch enthusiast or a collector. I'd say you'd have a thing there from watch enthusiasts and with it being a worldwide community/market there is probably enough in it if the watch is good. I was thinking from a regular guy who wants to splash a bit on himself.

Of course :D - everyone's input is valuable - I find it is key at this time during a project conception to expand from just one perspective to multiple perspectives - either you find you've considered people's points before (so at least you know personally why you are or aren't going any particular route) or even more importantly if someone brings up a point that you haven't considered before (and before too much money is invested into a project).

Heh "normal" people would probably definitely prefer to spend 350-400 on an apple watch - sure this mechanical watch doesn't even measure heart rate or have google maps and is less accurate on time :pac:

I may nab a few people who like the watch for the fact that it's "pretty"/"cool-looking" or has an Irish connection/story but definitely the main aim is to attract people who want it for its price/feature balance. The regular punter probably won't be too attracted to what I'm designing but that's ok I think - there are plenty of people making sub $100 watches focused primarily on design/fashion name and offering the best value in that sub-$100 range.

Actually one thing I haven't researched yet (as I'm currently still concentrated on the product itself) is the end shipping - this will of course be researched in the coming weeks as the product design gets finalised but does anyone have experience in shipping out 500 items to different addresses in a timely/cost efficient manner?

I imagine the likes of DHL/FedEx/UPS will charge an arm and a leg (or maybe not so much if you're doing 300-500+ volume shipping?) - I'm sure I'll find a custom solution for shipping too - currently just don't want to put the cart before the horse and not even have a product before talking about shipping.

edit: even from a quick research I see An Post have an international bulk rate shipping service so yeah it's all manageable - back to design :)

@Thirdfox, regarding the shipping.
    Have the factory offered a drop shipping option at all?

Are they supplying the final product in a shipping configuration?
    i.e the watch and box in an outer carton ready to ship?
    Just needing to be labelled?

Or will you need to pack to ship as well as arrange postage?

Taking delivery of the MOQ to Ireland and then reshipping is not going to be cheap!
    Particularly with VAT and duty as commercial product.

If shipping from Ireland AnPost have been getting a lot more competitive on bulk shipping options over the last year.
    Maybe give their business unit a shout?

• Advertisement

Had a long reply to you that was getting longer so deleted it all and will just give you a summary - you've raised a point that I hadn't had time to consider yet - if MOQ is being met then turnover will be higher than mandatory VAT registration requirements (it does mean that I'll be getting the VAT refunded from importing into Ireland) but yeah the tax aspects of this definitely start to get more complicated for such a project - there'll be preliminary tax to pay too to Revenue potentially.

Hiring an accountant (despite being a tax lawyer myself) might be a necessity - margins get cut even closer etc. etc. - will have to do an in-depth tax cost analysis of this project now especially as I saw this as being somewhat of a once-off deal to deliver something interesting to others - my day job is obviously still my day job!

Well - could always negotiate a lower MOQ or split the project into parts to be below VAT thresholds (€75,000 a year in goods for anyone interested)...

Good points raised anyway! Will need to have a good long think about it - can't just build a nice watch and not think about the rest :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

I did the survey, the very best of luck to you with this project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I just did you survey TF.
    Part of me would rather support an Irish effort than the numerous kickstarter options.
    Will be watching closely, hope you get it off the ground in whatever format you choose.

As an aside I do wonder what other people are doing about taxes and regulations with "bigger" kickstarter campaigns. Perhaps people are treating it as their primary business and then hoping to make more substantial margins off prices - and thus can afford to hire accountants etc.

The tax rules don't seem to be helpful to people who may be engaged in large turnovers but actually making relatively little profit (my intention) - it seems I either need to reduce my turnover or increase mark-ups to provide for the cost of an accountant - the second option meaning higher costs for buyers (which I don't want). A "passion project" which may deal with relatively large sums of money, but nets me a non-significant income does seem to be somewhat penalised by our business rules.

I wonder how the guy who got 50k+ to make potato salad dealt with his tax issues :D (guy raised $55,000 to make potato salad from thousands of backers):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zackdangerbrown/potato-salad

Just an interesting tax quirk. Death and taxes - the two inescapable realities of life :D

Thanks to everyone who participated - some really useful things came up.

I think as we've moved away from discussing surveys now I'll probably go away and look at the responses and think about the new issues identified.

If the mods allow it I may start a new thread giving updates (when something new happens) - won't be spamming this forum I promise!

Last update on this thread - a placeholder website has gone up:

www.solaswatches.com

Luckily not taken already - people who had a sneak peek at the prototype will probably understand the background reference :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Pity the www doesn't allow fadas. "Solas" is not "sólás :)

• Advertisement

Web addresses can allow fadas see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A1il_%C3%89ireann_(Irish_Republic)

- but try telling someone they'll need to search for a website using "non-standard" script and I doubt it'll go far (from a commercial perspective).

You're right that the two words mean very different things but luckily solas means light which isn't too bad as far as alternate word meanings go... at least it wasn't something like Irish Mist whiskey (German for manure) or Kia Nova (Spanish for no va - no go) :pac:
    https://www.practicalecommerce.com/Language-Translation-Test-Product-Names-before-Entering-New-Countries

If it's good enough for:
    https://www.buseireann.ie/
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/visit-and-learn/how-parliament-works/dail-eireann/
    https://www.rte.ie/
    etc. - it's good enough for me I think :D

Advertisement