Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bulling heifers

Options
  • 27-09-2019 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭

Guys what do you think you should pay for a bulling heifer. My thinking is that round 900 is more than enough but at some of these special sales they run into fortunes. I don’t know how you’d make it back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Guys what do you think you should pay for a billing heifer. My thinking is that round 900 is more than enough but at some of these special sales they run into fortunes. I don’t know how you’d make it back.

How long is a piece of string......

Depends on age, breed, quality, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Dunedin wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string......

Depends on age, breed, quality, etc.

What’s your own thinking from ones you’d buy? We usually breed our own replacements but we’re a bit under stocked atm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

What’s your own thinking from ones you’d buy? We usually breed our own replacements but we’re a bit under stocked atm

Same as that in that I bring my own.

A few rules that I follow;
    Keep replacements from the best cows
    Never from a cross mother
    Must have height and length- will grow to strong cows
    Bull around 440kgs

On the basis of that, the animal would be worth close to €1000 even at current prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Who2

I’ve paid up to 1500 for bullers. I bought a couple at 1400 but I don’t intend buying any for a good while as I seem to be matching my maternal traits a little better and seem to be getting what I want in my own cattle. If it’s down to figures you couldn’t really afford to be paying much more than 8-900 currently with an intention of having them ready to bull next spring. There’s usually far better value in springers but you need to scour the marts and get lucky too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Don't mean to go off topic lads, but paying 1400 for maidens and expecting a commercial return from her is a bit much isn't it?. I'd be looking at calved milkers for that? Don't mean to cause an argument or anything but hard to understand when beef prices are where they are. I guess the fact the same animal could go to the factory at some stage also may increase the value as 2 markets for her whereas the dairy cow/ heifers has one market really, other farmers

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    Don't mean to go off topic lads, but paying 1400 for maidens and expecting a commercial return from her is a bit much isn't it?. I'd be looking at calved milkers for that? Don't mean to cause an argument or anything but hard to understand when beef prices are where they are. I guess the fact the same animal could go to the factory at some stage also may increase the value as 2 markets for her whereas the dairy cow/ heifers has one market really, other farmers

The truth is I liked them, I wanted them and at least if I’m loosing money on them then at least I like them. It’s hard to keep an interest in farming with poor stock especially when prices are poor. A couple of exceptions can sell a whole batch of heifers too.

Who2 wrote: »
    I’ve paid up to 1500 for bullers. I bought a couple at 1400 but I don’t intend buying any for a good while as I seem to be matching my maternal traits a little better and seem to be getting what I want in my own cattle. If it’s down to figures you couldn’t really afford to be paying much more than 8-900 currently with an intention of having them ready to bull next spring. There’s usually far better value in springers but you need to scour the marts and get lucky too.

That’s a good point about the springers but a bit of a gamble too... like all cattle. The ones I see at those big prices seem to me to usually be very muscular ones and I’d wonder about them calving. A friend just paid 1400 and traveled about 200 miles to get her. I can’t make sense of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

You can't beat your own replacements if you can at all... but it is worth paying for good heifers if you are buying them as hopefully their bred will be in the herd for years... the way I look at anything I am buy is if I was selling it what would I want and then try and get it a little less.. that way I am happy thinking I got a bargain. There is a heifer sale coming up in Carnaross in a few weeks (seen it on Done Deal) a few nice heifers in it so will be interesting to see what they make.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    You can't beat your own replacements if you can at all... but it is worth paying for good heifers if you are buying them as hopefully their bred will be in the herd for years... the way I look at anything I am buy is if I was selling it what would I want and then try and get it a little less.. that way I am happy thinking I got a bargain. There is a heifer sale coming up in Carnaross in a few weeks (seen it on Done Deal) a few nice heifers in it so will be interesting to see what they make.

Yea I’m thinking of going to that even though I’m in the north. They’re being sold at a bad time but those are gorgeous heifers I’d say there’ll be very little under €1000-€1100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Yea I’m thinking of going to that even though I’m in the north. They’re being sold at a bad time but those are gorgeous heifers I’d say there’ll be very little under €1000-€1100

Ye its beside me, the ones in the photos on Done Deal look good...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

I was at the mart today I saw someone pay over €1700 for a big U bulling lmx heifer. Every man has his own way

cacs wrote: »
    I was at the mart today I saw someone pay over €1700 for a big U bulling lmx heifer. Every man has his own way

That’s big money! I’m mad I didn’t chance a few bids on a nice lim heifer at £660 I’d newr have three of her!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Yea he’s breeding these U shaped cows. Everyone to their Own

Yea he’s breeding these U shaped cows. Everyone to their Own

How are they working out. Able to calve ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I picked up a lovely red lim with a roan belly yesterday. U grade as well 505kg 1160.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I picked up a lovely red lim with a roan belly yesterday. U grade as well 505kg 1160.

Would her dam be Shorthorn?

Would her dam be Shorthorn?
    No, I'd say she was a lim x bb.

Nice cross for an export calf
    Hope she good width at the hips?

Beautiful cross but as I found to my detriment be careful with ch.

Nice cross for an export calf
    Hope she good width at the hips?
    ya she's a grand square heifer.

• Advertisement

ya she's a grand square heifer.

Great cross to the CH or BB

Great cross to the CH or BB

Have one like that too she’s a lim off bb And has had black calves with a blue hint with one lim bull and red roany ones with the newer one. Lovely animal but not over muscled

That’s what money I would be thinking of but hoping 400 kgs and 150 or so cheaper

Bit the bullet and got two heifers today in the mart both from the same man. Deep red sims with white. 440 kgs at £880 and 560?at £1120
    Spent a bit more than I wanted on the bigger heifer but I like her so God willing they’ll do me good. Lovely quiet cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

Bit the bullet and got two heifers today in the mart both from the same man. Deep red sims with white. 440 kgs at £880 and 560?at £1120
    Spent a bit more than I wanted on the bigger heifer but I like her so God willing they’ll do me good. Lovely quiet cattle

What happened to your £900 limit?:D
    Hopefully they'll be lucky, what ages are they?

tanko wrote: »
    What happened to your £900 limit?:D
    Hopefully they'll be lucky, what ages are they?

Haha stop proving me wrong!!! I felt I got off easy on one so then I wanted a comrade and really liked the other.
    14 & 19 months. If she had to be 100 kgs lighter I’d be flying but she was the one. Know the fellas selling them so I felt them pretty reliable etc

Take a look at her what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

Nice colour, shape and good deep body to her, should make a good cow hopefully.

I'd never mind giving a bit extra for a breeding heifer if they were quiet and turned out lucky. Bought a nice weanling privately off a friend today. January born around 350-360kg. €720. Might bull her next June. Should be plenty strong enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Yo6 got her right. Cant go too far wrong at that money!!

Have u his number? I'd buy 10 of that sort no bother at that money!!

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Yo6 got her right. Cant go too far wrong at that money!!

Have u his number? I'd buy 10 of that sort no bother at that money!!

If he had 10 of that sort I'd have them all snapped up :D

Advertisement