Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YELLOW SKIES, DUBLIN??

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Bsal wrote: »
    From Swords

That doesn't look out of the ordinary. :confused: Not translating to photo well? My sis tried taking pics earlier and said they didn't come out well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

The panorama feature on my phone's camera compresses the image hugely, which I don't understand, but I took this earlier.

Edit: Rotated and adjusted a little on the PC.

That's more like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

:rolleyes:

Have people never seen a sunset before?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

shleedance wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Have people never seen a sunset before?
    In fairness. That one was quite spectacular.

Did you miss it. It sounds like you missed it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

I've seen better. Such as this one I took a photo of when over in the UK:

4788078738_7e06925d71_z.jpg
    Sunset at Redcar by Shleed, on Flickr

• Advertisement

Nice picture all right. I'm sure we've all seen better, but that was a good 'un in a very particular way.

It was the rapidity of the transitions, and from where I was, the lateral buttery-golden sunlight at street level that didn't change, as the colours in the sky morphed from grey to yellow, to orange,to blue, to purple, to nighttime. The sky didn't change colour, so much as the colours just kinda 'slid' from one to the next... And so quickly too...

It wasn't the 'sunset'. It was the 'experience' of the sunset.

The clouds were pretty too.

;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Here's a couple more from a few minutes later, same white balance, just a lens correction when saving to jpeg.

267553.jpg

267554.jpg

It was a pretty spectacular sunset, we do get these dirty yellow sunsets around this time of year but this on was one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The rain and unusual sky last night was certainly something.

Between 7.30 and 8.30 I drove the route between Newcastle Co Dublin and Blanchardstown via Lucan on the back roads. The rain at certain points was the worse I've ever driven in in Ireland and the roads were flash flooded at many points along the way, sometimes up to wheel height, in fact I got a bow wave over my saloon bonnet from a passing 4x4. Visibility was awful and the temp dropped 7 degrees on the car reading in a few minutes. It seemed be a lump of post frontal precip and I was surprised it didnt look more intense on the radar when I looked it up at home.

The sky was certainly caused by low sun refracting around that SW-NE cell and it made for an entirely eerie situation combined with the deluge. Still, free car wash!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

'Sepia' is the way I'd describe Dublin city centre last night - not the sky so much as the general colour of the light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

not the sky so much as the general colour of the light.

Exactly, the grandiose sunset was really nice but that's not what the weird part was. The colour of the light, was really cool though. These pics posted above, accurately reflect what I seen

267486.jpg

267554.jpg

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    Here's a couple more from a few minutes later, same white balance, just a lens correction when saving to jpeg.

267553.jpg

267554.jpg

It was a pretty spectacular sunset, we do get these dirty yellow sunsets around this time of year but this on was one of the best.

Most accurate shots so far of what I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

endacl wrote: »
    Most accurate shots so far of what I saw.

It was the same out my way. I took a few pics but they didnt reflect the colour the same way the pics above do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I was at the gym for it :(

KNew though what it must of been like from my friends describing it...

exactly what its like nearly after evening after a severe storm in the states with the low convective cloud... its amazing :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Saganist wrote: »
    It was the same out my way. I took a few pics but they didnt reflect the colour the same way the pics above do.

Most cameras automatically control the white balance to match the colour temperature of the scene. So if you're shooting under tungsten light whites will appear warm (reddish) while under florescent lighting it can be cooler (green or bluish).

I shoot in RAW format which allows me to set white balance in post processing and not just on the camera. With auto WB the images have none of the actual colours as the camera tries to produce a neutral image. The solution is to switch to a suitable white balance appropriate for the scene. Some cameras let you dial in the colour temperature manually but most have several presets.

The Cloudy preset on my camera works well on overcast days where there is mostly diffuse light and no major colour shift and it matched closely what I saw in this case. The tungsten preset significantly cools the image so if you used it outdoors your images will be all blue... and so on.

Advertisement