Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

import duty on second hand items

• 19-10-2019 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

hi,

a friend of mine wants to send me some of his second hand electrical items from the states worth about 1400$ as a gift, would I have to pay customs, import and duty on this ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭dennyk

Yes, you will have to pay VAT at least, and possibly customs duty as well, depending on what the item is (many electronic items like laptops and mobile phones have no customs duty tariff). VAT will likely be 23% of the market value of the item. How you'll pay depends on how he ships it, but most couriers (including An Post) will pay the duty and VAT owed on your behalf (if any) and then collect the amount owed from you (along with an extra service fee) before releasing the parcel to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

there is also vat on the shipping/insurance/ costs

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement