Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Form 11 - PRSA Question

• 15-10-2019 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am currently filing a form 11 and have a question. I am a PAYE employee, but also run a small online business which traded at a small loss in 2018 (the trading in general is very small). However, after inputting all the figures in the form, when I calculate at the end, it showed that I have to pay over €1,200 which can't be right as any tax due to be paid would have been covered in my PAYE employment (and my employers accountants are always spot on with this). Therefore, I figured I have done my PRSA contributions incorrectly.

In 2018 I made my own voluntary contributions (no employer contributions) and I drew a tax credit of €720 for this. However I'm unsure as to how to input the tax credit aspect into the form or do I simply ignore this and just input the figures in terms of the contributions made in 2018? Just can't figure out where this tax credit goes (or how to derive at it).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Richard.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

First, with such low non-PAYE income, you should use the much simpler Form 12.

So you made pension conts in respect of 2018, and already claimed tax relief on these pension conts?

And now you're completing a Form 11?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭RichCRX

Thanks for your reply.

It doesn't allow me to submit a form 12 as it states I am registered for Income Tax. Hence me filing and completing a form 11.

Yes voluntary pension contributions were made in 2018, and tax relief has been claimed via tax credit, but I'm unsure as to how to reflect this in the form 11.

Edit: Also what I don't understand is the tax credit relief for the year e.g. the credit for the year was €720.00 but the contributions were €3,600.00. So does that mean in form 11 that I could then look to claim relief on €2880.00? (With the maximum relief being €7,113)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you're using ROS, check that the form hasn't auto populated something which applied last year but doesn't apply this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

have a look at your p60. is the gross for paye vs gross for usc different? i presume gross for paye is less, meaning you already got tax relief via the increased tax credit so nothing to enter except the p60 info.

there is another place to enter AVC's paid in 2018 for which no relief has been granted in 2018.

If you're using ROS, check that the form hasn't auto populated something which applied last year but doesn't apply this year.

Yeah, I've checked over the whole form a few times now and there is nothing that has been incorrectly auto applied.
    have a look at your p60. is the gross for paye vs gross for usc different? i presume gross for paye is less, meaning you already got tax relief via the increased tax credit so nothing to enter except the p60 info.

there is another place to enter AVC's paid in 2018 for which no relief has been granted in 2018.

On the P60, the gross pay figure is the same for PAYE & USC.

On form 11, here's how I broke it up (with 720.00 being the tax credit and 2,880.00 being the total contributions of 3,600.00 minus the tax credit)

Link to image

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

does the e720 tax credit appear on your tax credit cert?

does the e720 tax credit appear on your tax credit cert?

Yep it does.

Advertisement