Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European city break Ideas

Options
  • 13-10-2019 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

I've been all over America , Asia and Australia numerous times but I've never really done Europe . I am a single guy in my 30's and will be travelling solo and I am looking for ideas /advice for 2 European cities to visit for perhaps 3 days each. I will actually be going to Budapest for dental treatment for 5 days(Monday-Friday) in November so the 2 other cities will be visited on the weekends before and after it. I am leaning toward a German city probably Berlin as one of the cities but open to suggestions

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

If you've never been to any of them then I don't think that you can really go wrong with any capital or major city in Europe though 3 full days could be more than enough time for some places. Berlin as you can imagine has more stuff to do/see than lets say Hamburg. Have you been to Paris or London?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,882 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think for 3 days you want to stick to smaller scale cities than a mega city like London or Paris.

Bordeaux has lots to do if you are into wine.
    Lyon if you want a foodie experience.
    And in Munich for beers.
    All of the above you can see the sights in 3 days, take in walking tour or river cruise in Lyon.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,836 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Berlin would be a good call for me tbh.
    Lots of fun, good food, decent nightlife and things to do.
    Can really recommend the topography of terror (not cheery but really interesting and factual) and museum island

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I've heard some horror stories of people going to Budapest for dental treatment Sometimes, it's buy cheap, buy twice!!

Granada in Spain, I'd recommend. Or Bilbao and San Sebastian in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I’m a big fan of Cologne

Much to see and do and the local beer kölsch is super

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,991 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

gmisk wrote: »
    Berlin would be a good call for me tbh.
    Lots of fun, good food, decent nightlife and things to do.
    Can really recommend the topography of terror (not cheery but really interesting and factual) and museum island

I'm just back from Berlin and had a fantastic time. Prices about the same as Dublin and there's a huge amount of things to see given the history of the city.

The public transport is second to none. One ticket will get you onto trains,buses, trams and underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I’m a big fan of Cologne

Much to see and do and the local beer kölsch is super

The chocolate museum has much to recommend for itself - you can learn some interesting facts there.
    Guess which nation eats the most chocolate "per head" after the various German speaking nations of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Would have suggested Budapest anyway. Great city.

+1 for Berlin from me. Was there for a third time in August and I never tire of the place.

Dubrovnik is on my radar. Lots of people speak highly of Vienna. Prague could be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

fdevine wrote: »
    Would have suggested Budapest anyway. Great city.

+1 for Berlin from me. Was there for a third time in August and I never tire of the place.

Dubrovnik is on my radar. Lots of people speak highly of Vienna. Prague could be an option.

Better off to fly into Vienna and get a train to Graz or Innsbruck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Another vote for Bordeaux.
    Have not been to Berlin yet so can not comment on it;
    in Germany I liked Hamburg: stunning city and plenty to see and do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

xtradel wrote: »
    Better off to fly into Vienna and get a train to Graz or Innsbruck.

Would both be nicer than Vienna do you think?

Advertisement