Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Immersion or Swim Smooth coaching?

Options
  • 14-05-2021 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

I learnt to swim two years ago with Total Immersion - very nervous middle aged female. It's hard to access Total immersion coaching in Ireland - and now I am getting open water coaching, two coaches that I have approached don't like TI, and are suggesting Swim Smooth. I tried to learn to swim for many years before TI, but without success. I really like TI, though I am a slow swimmer, and I understand TI is not great for speed, and Swim Smooth may be better. I don't want to get confused with different methods, but both open water coaches have suggested Swim Smooth - what do people think here? Would really welcome some advice on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

I don't have experience first hand of being coached in either technique although I am familiar with them, so I;ll give my 2c :)

I've never been a fan of TI, but that's just me. I spent some time swimming with a TI coach and I have to say I wasn't particularly impressed with the way she swam. I know competitive coaches do not like TI.

I am a fan of swim smooth as it guided me a lot over the initial years of swimming. I would also suggest that it's a better way of swimming for open water as TI tends to concentrate on stroke count whilst SS concentrates on efficiency - I've heard it said that a very low stroke count as advocated by TI can give rise to getting cold in open water.

I wouldn't get overly concerned at this stage about what technique you would use starting off in open water, just get in and enjoy.

Advertisement