Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OW Swim Events 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ocisorrenta

mad m wrote: »
    Here is a Draft of 2013 Leinster Open sea races..

Mad_m, having never done these before, what are the distances?
    Particularly Curracloe and Killiney...
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Here is a Draft of 2013 Leinster Open sea races..

Looks like a cold start.

Dont think Killiney ever gets warm and Bray in early June...Brrrrrrrrr

Mad_m, having never done these before, what are the distances?
    Particularly Curracloe and Killiney...
    Cheers

Killiney probably about 1200 metres but the 1st race in Killiney will be hard as the tide will be flowing south to north quite strongly.

Unless of course they swim one way and walk back or walk down the beach and swim back with the tide.

Curracloe not sure.

If you havent done these swims before you should be comfortable swimming 1600 metres non stop and being able to spend 30 minutes in the sea in fairly cold water. Try and get in in middle of May to know what to expect..Sea is especially cold at the moment with the weather but not sure how much warmer (less cold) it will be come early June..

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ocisorrenta

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Killiney probably about 1200 metres but the 1st race in Killiney will be hard as the tide will be flowing south to north quite strongly.

Unless of course they swim one way and walk back or walk down the beach and swim back with the tide.

Curracloe not sure.

If you havent done these swims before you should be comfortable swimming 1600 metres non stop and being able to spend 30 minutes in the sea in fairly cold water. Try and get in in middle of May to know what to expect..Sea is especially cold at the moment with the weather but not sure how much warmer (less cold) it will be come early June..

Does that meant that all the swims are around the mile mark with the odd 5km and 10km?

Does that meant that all the swims are around the mile mark with the odd 5km and 10km?

Yes. Pretty much.

Some are less than a mile especially the early season ones. A couple are around 2k and then the longer ones as you describe..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Well Killiney anytime of the year is cold. Last year it was a race down to the buoy, right at buoy and then over to another buoy then back towards last one, so a triangle. Think though it will be around 1.2k but its up to the club on the day. From memory I flew down but was hard getting back.

Bray will be cold, for some reason I can't see them starting from Harbour like they normally do because of the water temp. I reckon they might do a running start from beach near Harbour and then down towards Bray head.

Curracloe was a hard swim, think it was 1.8k but felt more like 2k,took me 31mins last year. Hard going up but flew down.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Yes. Pretty much.

Some are less than a mile especially the early season ones. A couple are around 2k and then the longer ones as you describe..

It's a pity they wouldn't give an indication of those distances in the calendar. It's almost like they don't want new swimmers, but that can't be true.

pc11 wrote: »
    It's a pity they wouldn't give an indication of those distances in the calendar. It's almost like they don't want new swimmers, but that can't be true.

Well very few of them have set distances bar maybe the Harbour, Eddie Heron, the Bull Wall races and Wicklow 3K. It depends where they drop the buoys on the day for most of them.

Also to a cetain extent the distances can be misleading. I have often done the Wicklow 3K in a little over 30 minutes with a strong tide whereas 1200 metres in rough weather around South Wall could be nearer 40 minutes for me. I think for most people if they can comfortably spend 35 -40 minutes in the sea then they will easily be able for all but the 5K and longer races.

Well very few of them have set distances bar maybe the Harbour, Eddie Heron, the Bull Wall races and Wicklow 3K. It depends where they drop the buoys on the day for most of them.

Also to a cetain extent the distances can be misleading. I have often done the Wicklow 3K in a little over 30 minutes with a strong tide whereas 1200 metres in rough weather around South Wall could be nearer 40 minutes for me. I think for most people if they can comfortably spend 35 -40 minutes in the sea then they will easily be able for all but the 5K and longer races.

People aren't stupid, they know about the tides and rough conditions. Some indication should be given of the approx distance or at least the level of ability needed. How else would a new swimmer have the slightest idea whether they can even attempt it? I don't see why the Leinster association can't understand this.

And just how would we know WHICH are the 5k and longer races? It's not like the calendar tells you.

This comes up regularly, many people ask about the distances. At this stage, it's clearly a wilful disregard for anyone but experienced swimmers who already know the story.

To the clubs: why not organise a beginner race with a short distance and an encouraging and open attitude? It could be held just before the main race, it would take say 10/15 minutes and everything is already in place.

Crazy, I know.

How else would a new swimmer have the slightest idea whether they can even attempt it?
    New swimmers have to be registered with a club, I know that most clubs will get to know a swimmer and his abilities.
    And just how would we know WHICH are the 5k and longer races? It's not like the calendar tells you.
    The Calendar I posted is a draft, once its put on the website it will tell you. But it does say it on the calendar if you look closer
    This comes up regularly, many people ask about the distances. At this stage, it's clearly a wilful disregard for anyone but experienced swimmers who already know the story.
    They have stated on Leinster open sea website. http://leinsteropensea.ie/?page_id=61

To the clubs: why not organise a beginner race with a short distance and an encouraging and open attitude? It could be held just before the main race, it would take say 10/15 minutes and everything is already in place.
    Crazy, I know.
    Some clubs like Dublin swimming club have had two meetings inviting new swimmers to go along, its on their website I think. They organize days to meet up and get new swimmers into the sea and help them along. Templeogue swimming club is organizing something like this also. Also some clubs have organized short sea swim's amongst their younger swimmers before a race. Lets not forget that all of these swims rely on people from their club to help out. Some clubs have huge numbers while other clubs have only a handful of members. If it wasn't for the Civil Defense and club members most if not all of these swims wouldn't go ahead. Before my club swim goes ahead, myself and another member has to visit the site a day before the race, check the place for hazards,any glass around the area etc. Then get there a good few hours before to setup stuff. We have to contact local sailing clubs to let them know a race is on, Garda, Coast guard. Remember all this is done on voluntary basis. It takes a lot of organizing believe me just for the main races.

• Advertisement

New swimmers have to be registered with a club, I know that most clubs will get to know a swimmer and his abilities.

Again, all knowledge is reserved for the insider. It's just not the way it should be, sorry. Why not try to accommodate all? It comes across as totally insular thinking. Why would you resist the regular calls for more information to be published? We're asking out of genuine interest. Help us out here.
    The Calendar I posted is a draft, once its put on the website it will tell you. But it does say it on the calendar if you look closer

Do you mean the couple of races that state a distance? But, how would I know the distance of any of the other races.
    They have stated on Leinster open sea website. http://leinsteropensea.ie/?page_id=61

I'm not clear what you mean is stated there? DO you mean distance? All it says is a minimum distance.

Some clubs like Dublin swimming club have had two meetings inviting new swimmers to go along, its on their website I think. They organize days to meet up and get new swimmers into the sea and help them along. Templeogue swimming club is organizing something like this also. Also some clubs have organized short sea swim's amongst their younger swimmers before a race. Lets not forget that all of these swims rely on people from their club to help out. Some clubs have huge numbers while other clubs have only a handful of members. If it wasn't for the Civil Defense and club members most if not all of these swims wouldn't go ahead. Before my club swim goes ahead, myself and another member has to visit the site a day before the race, check the place for hazards,any glass around the area etc. Then get there a good few hours before to setup stuff. We have to contact local sailing clubs to let them know a race is on, Garda, Coast guard. Remember all this is done on voluntary basis. It takes a lot of organizing believe me just for the main races.

To be fair, I fully appreciate what organising a race is like, no question of that. I know how hard people work for sports events. But, I do think it would be quite feasible to add some short races to many events. And if there are any such events, I welcome that. But, they're not exactly apparent.

To be honest Pc11, there is a lot at play with a race, to have a beginners race before hand the Civil Defense (3 boats minimum) would have to be there. They give up their weekends to facilitate us. Also the tide has a lot to do with it. The tides this year aren't great. Some swims are on late in the evening on a Sunday.

I know its not doable but there is a lot of things to consider. I know there was talk of doing something like having a beginners race before hand. Also I want to point out the Open Sea committee (which i want to state, I'm not on) work tirelessly also to get these swims organized.

As i said some clubs have had meetings to introduce new swimmers to open sea swimming, they have organized meet ups with them during the months of May to dip their toes etc.

The Open Sea Committee say a 1500meter minimum, but its up to the club on the day to ask the Civil Defense where to place the Buoys that are provided by the Open Sea Committee. Sometimes its shorter than 1500meters due to reasons on the day. The first few races could be around 1200 meters because of the cold temps during June. Actually the second race in Bray is from the Harbour down towards Bray head. Its a Mile (Kilmartin Cup), but as I said because of the temps in June they may shorten it due to safety reasons.

@Pc11

Now there's a coincidence....Looks like the Final Calendar and guidelines just uploaded on Leinster Open Sea website...

Have a look.

http://leinsteropensea.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Race-Distance-20131.pdf

http://leinsteropensea.ie/?page_id=7

@Pc11

Now there's a coincidence....Looks like the Final Calendar and guidelines just uploaded on Leinster Open Sea website...

Have a look.

http://leinsteropensea.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Race-Distance-20131.pdf

http://leinsteropensea.ie/?page_id=7

Thanks Mad_m, that is certainly more info than I've seen before. And I welcome the mention of novice races. Do you know if you need to be a swim club member for these also?

Again let me repeat I don't question the work of all involved. I have organised races and it's hard work for sure.

It's just that it seems the thinking and approach is insular and oriented to insiders, but there are many people out there who might be tempted into OW swimming by a more open approach. We shouldn't have to beg every year for simple distance information. The fact that people ask for this all the time and yet it's slow to be provided shows a certain resistance and lack of welcome to newbies. Perhaps the swimming associations don't actually want newcomers, but that would be a sad state of affairs.

I'm well aware it's a different sport, but coming from an athletics background, it's seems so odd not to publish the distance of an event long in advance.

Let me again emphasise that this is meant to be constructive criticism, it's from someone who wants to help make life easier and who is genuinely interested. I don't just mean to knock, but to propose specific improvements.

Thanks for the info.

Id say without question because of insurance purposes, you would have to be with a swim club and signed up to swim Ireland for any novice races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

@mad_m, is their per-registration for this Leinster OW swims or do you just rock up on the day and sign on? I'll be around a few of these weekends so would like to sample these swims!!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

You'll need a Swim Ireland number and possibly need to be a member of a club (not necessarily a Leinster club) and 10 euro on the day. they will give you a handicap beforehand and they usually don't allow you to claim a victory on your first few races because of fast swimmers suddenly turning up.

okane1 wrote: »
    @mad_m, is their per-registration for this Leinster OW swims or do you just rock up on the day and sign on? I'll be around a few of these weekends so would like to sample these swims!!

Yeah but as Freddio said, but your probably up to date, if not give me a pm and ill get you sorted.

Also this year you will have to complete 4 races before you can win a race, this is what the Open Sea Committee said in the calendar meeting, you will however get second if you get first if you know what I mean...

Yeah but as Freddio said, but your probably up to date, if not give me a pm and ill get you sorted.

Also this year you will have to complete 4 races before you can win a race, this is what the Open Sea Committee said in the calendar meeting, you will however get second if you get first if you know what I mean...

Thanks. I'm with SI and a swimming club, so no issue there. Don't mind the hole turning up new and winning or not winning! I understand where the committee is coming from.

Just like to get in the Irish sea and compare these races to the Munster ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mermaria

Again, all knowledge is reserved for the insider.......

To be fair, I fully appreciate what organising a race is like, no question of that. I know how hard people work for sports events. But, I do think it would be quite feasible to add some short races to many events. And if there are any such events, I welcome that. But, they're not exactly apparent.

ILDSA has a short race for beginners. It's very safe, fun and wetsuit allowed. Drop them a line.

Leinster OW Swims organised by SI Clubs doesn't follow any FINA rules and regulation, including some related with swimmers safety. Check it on their website.

There're more open water swim out there nicer and safer for giving a try and you even didn't need to sign in a SC and SI or ILDSA

Hope have helped you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Killser

Thanks for all the info in the posts folks, it certainly has got me thinkin of taking on a few challenges, and I ve already signed myself up for a couple.

As a total outsider, and a former-triathlon head (having wee boys puts a dent into the training timetable!) I was looking for something new to sink my teeth into (pardon the pun). Before anyone says it, yes, I am a wuss and want the wetsuit on! My perception, rightly or wrongly, is that these open water swims are very much for the true swimmers, and there's a mentality of being looked down on when you turn up looking to swim with a suit. I know a good few people who try open water but get very intimidated when they come across 'real open water swimmers', there's a wiff of elitism.
    This is just a perception I have. I really, dont want to offend anyone, as I've only ran into a few folk with this sort of attitude. I'm hoping to see that I'm totally wrong since I'm goin to try a few races, and see how things go for myself. Please, any advice for a new head would be greatly appreciated

P.S. A few more wetsuit swims would be nice - but I guess I gotta toughen up if I want to qual for Liffey :o

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

I wouldn't have thought people would look down on the wet suit swimmer, after all, technically you are not one of the opposition in a wet suit.

There is an air before a lot of the races where a lot of people would be psyched up to do the swim and hopefully bring home the silverware. If anything, any comments about wet suits would be a bit of banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

anyone going to Fermoy tomorrow?

Wish I was. Swimming in Lough Key this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Anyone doing the Dublin Docklands swim this weekend? I enjoyed it last year, nice and short. Suits my sprinting down to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

Lovely swim last night in Fermoy. Good turnout with a couple of sporting heroes taking part. Excellent organisation and top-class refreshments afterwards. Well worth considering for next year for any of you within striking distance.

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Anyone doing the Dublin Docklands swim this weekend? I enjoyed it last year, nice and short. Suits my sprinting down to the ground.

Did it today, ugh have to say its not my favourite swim of the season! Always have a crap swim when doing it and this year is no different....

Hopefully tomorrow will bare fruit.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭YouWantWhat

Lovely swim last night in Fermoy. Good turnout with a couple of sporting heroes taking part. Excellent organisation and top-class refreshments afterwards. Well worth considering for next year for any of you within striking distance.

I can second that, fantastic evening (blue sky and sunshine) after a miserable wet day, had a great swim and a good time also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Did it today, ugh have to say its not my favourite swim of the season! Always have a crap swim when doing it and this year is no different....

Hopefully tomorrow will bare fruit.:)

I did it myself and had a terrible swim, I had high hopes after last year I found it quite enjoyable.

The Seapoint race yesterday was great, really enjoyed that one.

• Advertisement

slinky2000 wrote: »

The Seapoint race yesterday was great, really enjoyed that one.

Of course it was a great race (my club race:D).Got a bit Baltic out at the buoys though.

Roll on the weekend.

Advertisement