Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clowns that race you in the pool

Options
  • 20-09-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

you know the type . . . . you're 40 or 50 lenghts into a 120 lenght session and a lad swims flat out beside you for a lenght looking over at you . . . . you do maybe 6 or 8 more while he gets his breath back and then he "races" you again

swimming equivilant of a boy racer revving at the lights :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

This annoys me so much. The pool I swim in always has two roped lanes with signs, slow and fast.
    I be doing my sets and there would be a second slower swimmer in the lane, which I dont mind. I am coming up on them at the start of the length, check its clear and begin overtaking! When I come along the swimmers side, they see me and begin sprinting with all their might. I usually hold my pace and get by, sometimes I need to break my pace and increase my speed to safely overtake only so see that fcuker stopping and looking red and panting.

Drives me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Ignore the fool in the next lane.

The idiot in the same lane who waits till I'm about to turn before they commence their length and then holds me up drives me mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Similar clowns go cycling too - this was discussed on the cycle forum recently too - was probably the same bloke.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

The idiot in the same lane who waits till I'm about to turn before they commence their length and then holds me up drives me mad.

That wrecks my head...or as in my local pool (where theres only one lane and the rest is open but everyone picks a line and sticks to it), where this takes the form of an old lady swimming directly across the line of people swimming...always cuts across me every length..its carnage but she's there everyday without fail so she has probably earned the right!! Still damn annoying tho

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Nothing worse than people who push off right in front of you just before you turn...
    Gah, get in the slow lane!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Money Shot wrote: »
    Similar clowns go cycling too - this was discussed on the cycle forum recently too - was probably the same bloke.:D
    lmao!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cc4life

hmmm i knew you were annoyed when i gave you a beat down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Picassso

Hilarious thread!
    we've all experienced this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Thats funny, I like to do a few lengths, well, about 20 say. I'm not as fast as i used to be but am a pretty good swimmer. The lanes can generally hold about 3 people going up and down and theres 3 lanes roped off.
    I got in one day to the first lanes where there was about 6 people in it and too slow for me.
    In the next 2 lanes there was only one person! Mind you, they were going reasonably fast and keeping the pace. I could keep this pace for about 5-6 lengths given my fitness level is lower than usual but normally i'd be able to keep it up. Well, i moved to the next lane and had to stand there and wait while this guy ploughed down the MIDDLE of the lane ! At the last minute he stopped and stood up as if to say, 'what the f are you doing in my lane' . I went ahead and did my lengths without much of a problem. What an attitude...Later he was finished and getting ready to get out i heard him say to some guy in the crowded lane ( in his 60's i'd say ) ' you can go into this lane now i'm finished'.....F nerve. No law that i know of said you could take a lane to yourself. ( westminstown, by the way ):mad:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

maybe he owns the pool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fidge13

how do you determine how 'fast' is fast for the fast lane, and how 'slow' do you have to be for the slow lane? is there a time you should be meeting to warrant a fast lane occupation? Or does it depend on the others in the pool at the same time? I swim 30-35secs per 25m on average i reckon during my long swims.

my pool generally isnt that busy though they have three lanes and the rest open. i generally either have a lane to myself, or pick a line on the open section.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Suppose it means that the fastest swimmer has the right of way, and that one should not get in her/his way. Be that when pushing off to start a length or if you're being lapped. Either get behind or move lane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

you know the type . . . . you're 40 or 50 lenghts into a 120 lenght session and a lad swims flat out beside you for a lenght looking over at you . . . . you do maybe 6 or 8 more while he gets his breath back and then he "races" you again

swimming equivilant of a boy racer revving at the lights :mad:

the fast lane is normally full of those clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Fidge13 wrote: »
    how do you determine how 'fast' is fast for the fast lane, and how 'slow' do you have to be for the slow lane? is there a time you should be meeting to warrant a fast lane occupation? Or does it depend on the others in the pool at the same time? I swim 30-35secs per 25m on average i reckon during my long swims.

I guess it's relative. I like to do 1500m per swim without a stop. I take 60 seconds per 50m lap. There are plenty of fast lane swimmers go faster than that. So I usually start out in the middle lane and move to the fast lane if it's too slow. But I always check who's behind me. If they are close behind for more than a full lap then I'll let them pass, but only then (unless I recognise them as better swimmers than me). There are plenty of one-length-wonders who will stay right behind me for a lap or so, and no sooner have I let them through then they reduce speed to that of a 90 year old granny :mad:

Having said that, I know that when I'm in the medium lane I do often find myself pacing swimmers in the fast lane. It can sometimes be unconscious, sometimes deliberate, especially if the fast lane swimmer creates a lot of white water! I prefer to avoid breathing in the water they kick up :) I'm not being a boy racer. I'm just trying to have a comfortable swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I have given up swimming. I consider myself intermediate. I like to do 800m breast stroke with a few 'fast' front crawl lenghts.Theres one or two lanes roped off in my pool depending on time of day.

Every single time i've been, there is always some idiot who thinks they own the lane, shooting dirty looks, swimming in the middle of the lane etc. ive been kicked trying to stay of peoples way - i assume they've been going there longer than me so obviously they own it. i tryed swimming in the free part of the pool but thats just full of people standing around etc so i have completely given up. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

What kind of pace are you doing?
    I generally do 2k at about a 60sec per 50m lap. If anyone is going faster than that I'm happy to let them through. If the lane is reasonably quiet (5 or less say) you can fall into a pattern where everyone can lap without holding each other up. If you can't hold that pace then move down a lane.

It should be very obvious if you are holding others up they're gonna get p!ssed off. Some of us have a training goal per session & need to keep the pace up.

The one length wonders make me laugh though. 'Nice one, now do that 80 times!'

cjt156 wrote: »
    What kind of pace are you doing?
    I generally do 2k at about a 60sec per 50m lap. If anyone is going faster than that I'm happy to let them through. If the lane is reasonably quiet (5 or less say) you can fall into a pattern where everyone can lap without holding each other up. If you can't hold that pace then move down a lane.

It should be very obvious if you are holding others up they're gonna get p!ssed off. Some of us have a training goal per session & need to keep the pace up.

The one length wonders make me laugh though. 'Nice one, now do that 80 times!'

you sound pretty pompous to be honest; i dont keep a pace; the pool i used was a 25m one and i generally do 32 laps in about 20 mins - i'm not in training for anything, its just for general fitness. theres only two lanes roped off, one fast, one slow, i generally go into the slow lane. I keep to the appropriate 'side' as per the signs. It doesnt seem to matter.

we dont all have training goals etc but we've paid to use the pool as well and a bit of courtesy doesnt kill. there are certain people who think they seem to own the lanes. it supposed to be pleasurable and recreational but i find it unpleasant - anyway i dont go anymore as i say so i'm not going to be in anyones way.

you sound pretty pompous to be honest; i dont keep a pace; the pool i used was a 25m one and i generally do 32 laps in about 20 mins - i'm not in training for anything, its just for general fitness. theres only two lanes roped off, one fast, one slow, i generally go into the slow lane.

20-minute miles in the slow lane? What was the fast lane pace like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

you sound pretty pompous to be honest -
    Didn't mean to, my friend.

Its just that if there's a choice of lanes then slow swimmers can always move down to a slower paced lane. However those in the fast lane can't move up to another lane to avoid the slower ones. I'm simply stating that some of us need to keep up a pace. For those that don't, a little courtesy, perhaps?
    anyway i dont go anymore as i say so i'm not going to be in anyones way.
    Cool, I can go be pompous to someone else now:D

Ben D Bus wrote: »

fast lane is always the busy one and the men - and its always men who use it are territorial - they dont appreciate anyone else using 'their' lane. generally lots of tutting and rolling of eyes at anyone who dares to. just pisses me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I like to go in the slow lane and race people in the fast lane so that they think they are going too slow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

I don't think cjt is being pompous or westies is being unreasonable, it's a problem we all have down at the pool, and to be honest the paces of both are both fairly decent, so going into the slow or fast lane really depends on the standard of the swimmers in the pool at that time.
    I think the problem may be that you're always going to get into difficulties with pacing when you're sharing a lane with someone and doing a long continuous swim. What I've found works for me is rather than doing a continuous long swim when I'm looking to do some distance is to break the swim up into 100/200/400m sections at a slightly higher pace. Having breaks like these allows people of fairly different paces to co-exist in the same lane without interrupting each other, you get to a point when someone is trailing the other and that's where somebody should really take a break and let the faster swimmer pass. The distance before the break may depend on the difference in paces but you just have to be flexible about your session and it usually works out ok, after all getting your swim in is a lot better than giving up in frustration.
    However as for the guy swimming in the middle of the lane, that's just inexcusable. In that sort of situation, I put my training blades on, let them have a good look and swim in the direction the pool recommends - you'll find the problem generally resolves itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

We've only got a slow land and a fast lane, no medium lane :( I would consider anyone who can do their laps without stopping as fast. If the fast lane is empty I'd go in to it but if someone faster comes along then I potter over to the slow lane. My speed changes depending on how consistant I've been but I am slow to start then after a week medium so I find the slow lane too slow and the fast lane too fast.

Only answer really is picking a time where you know the pool will be quiet but not everyone can do that. Don't get me started on Saturdays ..nightmare.

There is a serious lack of pool manners, some fast lane folk are so snooty and slag off the slower people, but some slow folk can be a nuisance and get in the way or take up the whole lane. Of course us medium lane folk (if we had a medium lane) are just perfect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

ahem...25m.....40 minute mile ....:rolleyes:

ahem...25m.....40 minute mile ....:rolleyes:

32 laps in 20 minutes = 64 * 25m lengths = 20 minute mile?
    the pool i used was a 25m one and i generally do 32 laps in about 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

32 laps in 20 minutes = 64 * 25m lengths = 20 minute mile?

He's counting 1 length as a lap!

Burkatron wrote: »
    He's counting 1 length as a lap!

OK, just read the 800m breaststroke post, which of course is 32 lengths 16 laps

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gombeen99

Absolutely 100% agree!! I'm a reasonably average swimmer, faster than some, slower than some, but always check behind me as I'm coming to the end of a length to see if there's anyone coming behind - surely it's just common courtesy? The amount of people who don't seem to have any awareness of any other pool users drives me absolutely monkey nuts!

Advertisement