Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017 Irish Championship

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Seems to be working again ca. 6.40pm.
    Baburin-Lopez was a quick draw. O'Donnell beat Wall (good for his norm chances) and Li beat Scott.
    Fox-S. Melaugh and Tirziman-Mirza were drawn.
    Short v Daly is around move 28 with rough equality but more time for Daly.
    Delaney v MacElligott is in a winning R ending for White and G. Melaugh-Quinn is winning for Black on board and clock.

David Fitzsimons unfortunately lost but could still get a norm if we can string more wins together and avoid low-rated opposition.
    He'd definitely need to win tomorrow as he has already had two sub-2100 opponents and only two titled opponents; he needs to meet three more at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bunrattyman

Hi All,

I'm sorry the live boards have been giving issues, for those "techies" out there, the hotels WiFi doesn't allow FTP ( upon which the current version of livechess depends, but not the latest beta version ) and both the 087 and 086 dongles I have can get no more than 1 bar reception ( the reason for the occasional freeze )

However, for other reasons, we are moving rooms within the hotel tomorrow and I can get 3 bars on the 087 dongle there so we should see no more freezing of boards ( I really hope )

Fingers crossed.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

O'Donnell beat Wall (good for his norm chances)

The win also put Conor above 2400. Only 3 more norms to go!

Round 5 just finished after two long games. Gavin Wall let Tony Fox off in the ending while Diana Mirza eventually lost to Gavin Melaugh.
    There were major technical lapses by both young players in the R ending and they will learn a lot by studying it if they compare it with the 7-man tablebase.
    In particular Diana should never have played f2-f4+ which brought the 2v1 situation about because she had a standard 3v4 drawn position and only needed to wait.

Philip Short beat Alex Lopez and is now sole leader with 4/5. Baburin and O'Donnell drew and so are both on 3.5. In the latter stages of that rook endgame the online engine at chess24 kept claiming that White was winning but the tablebase shows Alex defended well and was never lost.
    I'm not sure which of them plays Short tomorrow.

Colm Daly beat Henry Li so he has 3 points and Li remains on 2.5.
    Killian Delaney beat Shane Melaugh and Rory Quinn beat Rudolf Tirziman so they join Alex Lopez and Colm on 3.

The Sinquefield Cup started this evening in St. Louis. Caruana-Carlsen is the top game.

Aronian is already winning against Nepomniachtchi.
    Check out White's amazing 10th move which the clock times show must have been home prep:
    https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/grand-chess-tour-sinquefield-cup-2017/1/1/3

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bunrattyman

Hi All,

Just in case anyone didn't know, the up to date pgn of the games so far is available every evening from the same page as the draw, see http://www.icu.ie/sm/irish2017/index.html At the top left of the page, you'll see the Games (PGN) - just click on the down arrow, choose the latest round, and click go, the latest pgn will start to download and it will contain all the rounds so far played.

After round 9 of course, the full pgn will be available here, and I will leave it there for a few weeks.

Enjoy the live games, and don't forget that the final round on Sunday begins at 11:30am, not the usual 3:00pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ComDubh

This Irish is impossible to call at this stage! I tipped Baburin to win pre-tournament, but it seems from his game with Daly that he hasn't done much preparation for the event. Short is on a winning streak, but there's no easy run-in for anyone and this could become a losing streak as well. He's beaten Baburin fairly recently (twice?) and if he could do it again he'd really be in pole position. Any other result leaves the tournament very open indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

Subplot: 2 players still in the running for IM norms -

Short - likely requires 1.5/3 vs Baburin and then presumably Wall and Li.

Daly - likely requires 3/3 vs Delaney and then Lopez and Quinn.

(O'Donnell, Li, Delaney, Quinn would all require 7/9 which is beyond them now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

Fantastic performance from Philip so far.
    Daly-Lopez was an epic, think Colm got bluffed in the end in the time pressure - Ne8+ instead of Ne5 looked winning for White at first sight.

Daly-Lopez was indeed an epic. Daly's strategy of playing a dull, unenterprising opening worked in that Lopez played himself into a worse position in an effort to make winning chances. Lopez played some great moves to stay alive and ultimately win, but Daly missed clear opportunities as well of course.

Short may well be ruing his early draw with Wall yesterday. He needs a win with Black against Li today to ensure winning the title outright, or a draw to be sure of a tie at least. A loss would allow Lopez to snatch the title if he wins as Black against Wall, or could create a 3-way tie if Lopez draws and O'Donnell wins.

Today's games should be very engaging to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭macelligott

The Championship games (last round) start today at 11:30!

Has anybody calculated whether a draw will get Philip Short an IM norm?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

It was on the live feed on chess24.com that a draw would do, unless he was paired against Henry Li (which he has been), in which case the norm was already secured.

cdeb wrote: »
    It was on the live feed on chess24.com that a draw would do, unless he was paired against Henry Li (which he has been), in which case the norm was already secured.

That's great. I haven't seen the last 3 rounds because I was in London for the start of the athletics world championships.
    The British Championships also are playing their last round today - but it looks like there will be a playoff involving four players.

And he's taken the draw now anyway.

So he's at worst joint winner with an IM norm.

He now needs Gavin Wall to take something off Lopez as white to take the title outright.

Great performance by Philip.

The strain on the draw with 9 rounds and only 14 players rather shows in the Mirza-Baburin pairing: two and a half points and 500+ rating points difference between the players. There were three other players on a higher score than Diana but Lopez had to play Wall and presumably there were reasons why MacElligott and Shane Melaugh weren't available as pairings for Baburin.
    Fortunately this situation did not affect the fight for the title.

• Advertisement

There was 16 players, not 14, but yeah, the overall point is valid, if at least known at the outset.

Still, 25 moves in and there's not much in that match.

The Championship games (last round) start today at 11:30!
    Completely ridiculous in such an important event to start the last rd in the morning

7/9 is a fantastic score looking at that field.
    Congrats to both Philip and Alex.

Joedryan wrote: »
    Completely ridiculous in such an important event to start the last rd in the morning

Nevertheless a lot of events do it to save competitors the expense of an extra night's accommodation (I have had to play at 9am occasionally), or because people have to go to work next day. And/or (as in the case of the British Championship which had the same schedule as the Irish this year) because they have a play-off, which incidentally is due to start at 5.15pm and could be exciting.

I tend to agree, though, because it's a Bank Holiday tomorrow (Republic of Ireland only), they could well have left the start time the same for the Irish.

Yes indeed, but mostly the credit is to Philip who is not only one of the oldest competitors in the field (if not the oldest), but also because he won his head-to-head games against four of the five top-rated rivals: Baburin, O'Donnell, Daly, and co-winner Alex Lopez.

So I guess it is Philip who earns the automatic place to the 2018 olympiad team (whether he wants to take it up may be another matter of course).

I would like to see a strong Irish team enter next year;s World Senior Teams 50+; we could have Baburin, Short, Daly and two others: maybe Fox and Cafolla? We have never had a team enter the 50+ Seniors.

• Advertisement

I was mesmerised by Short's performance, but of course Lopez's 2/2 finish against Daly and Wall, Black in both games, was remarkable.

I'll eat my hat if Phil plays the Olympiad! But you never know...

Yes indeed, but mostly the credit is to Philip who is not only one of the oldest competitors in the field (if not the oldest), but also because he won his head-to-head games against four of the five top-rated rivals: Baburin, O'Donnell, Daly, and co-winner Alex Lopez.

So I guess it is Philip who earns the automatic place to the 2018 olympiad team (whether he wants to take it up may be another matter of course).

I would like to see a strong Irish team enter next year;s World Senior Teams 50+; we could have Baburin, Short, Daly and two others: maybe Fox and Cafolla? We have never had a team enter the 50+ Seniors.
    I agree in part, but I would not make any reference to age, its irrelevant. It was just Philip showing what he is capable of. There is too much ageism in chess already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭macelligott

Yes indeed, but mostly the credit is to Philip who is not only one of the oldest competitors in the field (if not the oldest), but also because he won his head-to-head games against four of the five top-rated rivals: Baburin, O'Donnell, Daly, and co-winner Alex Lopez."

Short only looks the oldest :-)

Presumably in this tournament Philip was "smoking" in more ways than one!

I guess that's why...

I guess that's why...
    good for the nerves.

I guess that's why...
    good for the nerves.

Advertisement