Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 US Chess Championships

• 01-04-2015 7:32pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭

First round is under way.

Wesley So and Hikaru Nakamura the obvious picks.

They have been going toe to toe for the number one spot in the US

Will So's trip to Bunratty give him the edge? :P

Live Coverage

Who will win the 2015 US Chess Championships? 7 votes

Hikaru Nakamura
    0% 0 votes
    Wesley So
    71% 5 votes
    Someone Else
    28% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

I'm struggling to understand what just happened in Wesley So's match against Samuel Shankland.

Was 92. g4 just a massive mistake because he as expecting 92... fxg4 followed by 93. Nxe4 which instantly draws?

If so, it is just remarkable that he missed Nxg4. Am I missing something?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

I think you are right in your thinking. Amazing how he missed it!

Neo_Ninja wrote: »
    I think you are right in your thinking. Amazing how he missed it!

Perhaps he thought Nxe4 still worked after Nxg4 but it's a trivial king and pawn win. I'm not sure which is more likely: that he miscalculated that line or just missed Nxg4 completely.

Incredible mistake but I guess after 90 moves, it's gets easier to make silly moves. It's got to hurt though...

I am a Naka fan so I was disappointed but it makes for a more exciting tournament. I believe it also ended a 42 game unbeaten run by SS.

I reckon he just missed Nxg4. A sleepless night ahead for sure.

So loses to 14 year old Samuel Sevian! Advantage Naka although he threw away a win against Kamsky.

Naka v So tomorrow. Should be a good one to watch.

• Advertisement

So loses to 14 year old Samuel Sevian! Advantage Naka.

Naka v So tomorrow. Should be a good one to watch.

But Naka just blew a win against Kamsky...

Exciting tournament so far!

Yeah! Just edited my post with that! Enjoyable tournament so far. Ray Robson tied for first now too.

I must say, The Women's Championship is very entertaining, Some exciting games happening the last round or two.

Robson - So game is very dull today.

I spoke too soon. In an exciting turn of events Ray beat So to move into second.

Naka only managing a draw stays half a point ahead. They play eachother in round 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Young Sevian seems like a real future prospect for the world championship. I can't believe he's only 14!

• Advertisement

Definitely! He looks much older too. I was shocked when I saw he was only 14

Starting in 10 mins, Sevian V Nakamura Should be a great game.

Is there live coverage available anywhere?

Yes its here, When you get to the page. Click on the little blue video camera to bring up the video and computer analysis.

Wesley So loses by forfeit after 6 moves for writing himself motivational notes on a separate sheet

Wesley So loses by forfeit after 6 moves for writing himself motivational notes on a separate sheet

It's like an Onion article...

It's like an Onion article...

Yes but unfortunately true!

That's funny, I always write notes to myself like 'LOOK AT YOUR CLOCK' or 'DOUBLE CHECK'. I didn't know it was against the rules!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

It's quite clear what has happened here..

Wesley So's recent ascent to the world top 10 is chiefly thanks to an elaborate code he has developed and conceals in these "motivational notes" :)

They had already warned him twice about writing on his scoresheet, He then started to write on a separate sheet, he must have assumed this was OK as it wasn't on the scoresheet.

• Advertisement

Yes but unfortunately true!

There is more to it here: http://m.startribune.com/local/299426421.html#continue

I agree with the arbiter. So wasn't cheating but if they were to let him carry on, no doubt someone would take advantage of the leniency at some point to pass a message of some kind to an onlooker or something.

Well done boards.ie chess fans. We predicted the winner! If only we put on a few €€€€l!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Mustafa Chess

How come So gets to go to the big one that started today and Nakamura does not. What is going on with that.

Nakamura afraid to play Carlsen again! :P

Advertisement