Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(A few) Members of the Irish Chess Union a disgrace

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

zenobi wrote: »
    imagine if taxman came to my business and I claimed 2k for security of business but could show no proof what he would say ?
    The important point that everyone's overlooking is that UL Chess Club is not the ICU.

So the matter is of no concern to the ICU.

There's really nothing else to say on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Speaking about being reasonable , is it reasonable to ask for invoice or proof of payment of 2000 euro for security ?
    Not under these circumstances.

To use your analogy, this is the equivalent of demanding your next-door neighbour give you his tax details and claiming it was proof of perfidy if he did not comply.

If someone feels there was an issue with the finances of UL Chess Club, then UL Chess Club are the ones they have the issue with. Asking the ICU to furnish them with UL Chess Club's accounts makes no sense, and the ICU doesn't have any right to demand the accounts either, they tendered for a championships, awarded the tender to UL, gave money towards the prize fund (which was properly distributed) and that's pretty much it. Unless "By the way, we now get to read your accounts" was in the contract, which it wasn't (that was asked and answered at the AGM as well), the ICU hasn't any right to demand the accounts (and no need to do so either).

This is a non-problem that doesn't need a solution but we seem to be having a solution shoved down our throats anyway...
    rooms that otherwise would have been empty in the summer .
    Doubtful. Trinity college and UCD and just about every other college in the country has the same kind of rooms and they can't fill the demand for them during the summer, to the point where they kick students out before the summer exams unless they pay extra. And they don't rent those rooms out for peanuts either.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Speaking about being reasonable , is it reasonable to ask for invoice or proof of payment of 2000 euro for security ?, imagine if taxman came to my business and I claimed 2k for security of business but could show no proof what he would say ?. Has there ever been a case in a chess competition money was given for security ? ,

No, it's not. No more so than walking into any random business premises on the high-street and asking to see their accounts. The ICU executive is not the revenue office.
    If they wanted to see the accounts of the UL Chess Club they should have stipulated that in the contract.
    alot of money was spent by players for accommodation in the UL campus for rooms that otherwise would have been empty in the summer .

And a lot of rooms in hotels and hostels and b&b's up and down the country go unused every night.
    Doesn't mean an "ah sure there's nobody staying there anyway" will get you in for free.

All of this accusation throwing and poking and prodding at nothing is an unfortunate stain on what was a superbly run and contested Irish Championships. One that was full value for the fee the ICU paid.

So we're still accusing someone of theft, are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Firstly, my reason for my blog on boards.ie: I was deeply disturbed with the writings of our previous Vice chairperson in the weeks prior to the AGM on his irishchesscogitations.com website, which have now been removed. It was obvious that I was not the only one. I felt completely useless in not being able to do anything about it. Engaging in digital discussions is not my forte and would have done nothing. I have not known Jonathan nor Kevin long but have grown to see them as good people who have worked hard to bring chess in Ireland to a better place. At the AGM I saw broken spirits and I found it too difficult to stay in the room. I wandered in and out and on each occasion the injustice grew. I saw the Vice Chairperson sitting smugly with his perfectly worded complacency in a setting he single-handedly created with his blogs that incited this hatred. Complacency on my part would have been another injustice.

More rantings have been uploaded there, about you personally:
    Granny Una Is At It Again!
    Posted by admin on 8 October 2013, 7:38 am

Not content with posting various nutty nonsense, a sprinkle of lies plus false allegations against her fellow ICU executive committee members Darko Polimac and Bernard Palmer, and myself too as an ex ICU committee member. Now dear old Granny Una has decided she needs more attention and opportunities to spread her nonsensical baloney further a field. No doubt the ICU website would never allow the ICU Pro officer write or publish such rubbish, but she is so comical at this stage that she always going to be good for a laugh or two and will find a place here on this website to be a source of amusement. Accordingly instead of treating Granny Una seriously it is best to just be tolerant and indulge her flaky notions and fabrications. Be warned though, some of the mad stuff from Granny Una is liable to cause an outbreak of laughter and it can be very contagious.
    http://www.irishchesscogitations.com/blog/granny-una-is-at-it-again/
    I think this is shameful stuff.

With regards to closing the threads I'd implore the moderators to leave them open for a while yet until feelings have calmed somewhat, I have a feeling that there will be more developments over the next few days/week and above all people will want to talk about them - and this is a serious issue... unfortunatly. Perhaps just having one "superthread" would be best?

I'd just like to say, (I haven't been involved in Irish chess for a number of years now, I was just an ordinary/junior member) I think this entire situation is ridiculous. I won't recount some of the negative things I experienced but at the end of the day this is chess we are talking about, a sport but some must think its the UN or something with the amount of politics going on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Just speaking as a mod here - if people are going to make suggestions against others of malfeasance or theft or embezzlement or the likes, you need to have proof. Not "I heard she heard he heard". Not "But didn't you hear what Colm said at the AGM?". Not "I'm just asking where it is cos I can't see it and people are asking". Either post proof, or don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

... I won't recount some of the negative things I experienced but at the end of the day this is chess we are talking about, a sport but some must think its the UN or something with the amount of politics going on
    It's amazing how irritating a handful of vocal malcontents can be, isn't it?

Can I suggest not giving moronic personal attacks like that air by distributing them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 zenobi

una

just ignore the other website , it is just waste of time , icu should have anti harassment policy with defined punishment for abusers , i heard you wrote a book about chess in irish for children , is it true ? what is it called ? i hope you explained dangers of a bishop to kids in your book , lol . maybe you could write another book in irish about your experiences as a pro in icu ?

[Note: User banned for re-regging new account to bypass forum ban]

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sean_Murphy

Firstly I think the mods should not have allowed any names here,
    The OP said a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sean_Murphy

Let me state that I am not a member of the ICU, nor a strong chess player.

Excludes me from some forums.

Don't think I'd ever call people half wits though

• Advertisement

Let me state that I am not ... a strong chess player.
    That's okay, you're probably just an 8-year-old like myself :pac: It's a shame that we even exist of course, I mean we're just dragging all the grandmasters down. We really ought to just do the right thing of course, ie. pay our ICU subs and shut up until we break the 1800 rating barrier and become real chess players; then after that we will be qualified to listen to our betters and apprentice for a few decades to them until we're ready to speak our own minds on whether or not we think chess in Ireland should be run as a club for elites or a game that everyone can enjoy at every level. After all, as every schoolboy knows, chess rating is the sole metric of whether or not someone's opinion is right or wrong, which is why we in Ireland confer exclusively with Magnus Carlsen anytime we need to make a decision and it's why chess in Ireland overtook the GAA in popularity all those years ago, with clubs in every school, every college, every pub, every library and most reputable workplaces, and why the ICU has a membership in the seven figure range.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ballynafeigh Chess

Sparks wrote: »
    why the ICU has a membership in the seven figure range.

Jesus Sparks don't mention figures, they'II want them audited verified Photographed copied in triplicate and signed off by a high-court judge :eek:

Advertisement