Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gala Dinner/Industry Awards Ceremony - Don't wanna wear a Tux

• 25-02-2020 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi guys

Started a new job yesterday and I've been invited to attend an industry awards night this week - 3 course meal, awards given out to industry leaders etc.

It's not my scene and it's not my thing but I've been roped into going - what is acceptable attire?

Looking on photo's of the previous years ceremonies, it's been all suits and tuxedos and it's just not me - I'd sooner blow 200 quid on a leather jacket that I'll get wear out of rather than a suit or tux I'll wear once a year.

Please advise - regretting agreeing to go already

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Honestly, you're new, you need to make a good impression, get a tux. It's an investment into helping everyone take you seriously. Sometimes for work events you just have to suck it up.

M&S have 2 piece tuxedos for €120, get a decent dress shirt and a bowtie, and some black dress shoes (no brogues). If you're planning on staying in this sector then more than likely you'll need to go to this event on a yearly basis. Get it out of the way now, and you'll be sorted every other time.

If you really don't want to get a tux then get a decent dark grey suit, white shirt and dark tie - you don't want to be the only one not wearing a suit, trust me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Realistically the only escape from the norm you'll get away with at these is a black conventional tie not a bowtie; and a simpler dress shirt. Men are expected to be identikit at these.

If you're not certain you're going to stay in the industry, rent. If you are, buy. I have a tux and black dress shoes that's dragged out annually for this alone; I had to get a replacement shirt at the last minute last time out due to the tempting wonders of the new pizza place beside the office though.

Advertisement