Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Irish Championship

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Has anybody calculated whether a draw will get Philip Short an IM norm?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

It was on the live feed on chess24.com that a draw would do, unless he was paired against Henry Li (which he has been), in which case the norm was already secured.

cdeb wrote: »
    It was on the live feed on chess24.com that a draw would do, unless he was paired against Henry Li (which he has been), in which case the norm was already secured.

That's great. I haven't seen the last 3 rounds because I was in London for the start of the athletics world championships.
    The British Championships also are playing their last round today - but it looks like there will be a playoff involving four players.

And he's taken the draw now anyway.

So he's at worst joint winner with an IM norm.

He now needs Gavin Wall to take something off Lopez as white to take the title outright.

Great performance by Philip.

The strain on the draw with 9 rounds and only 14 players rather shows in the Mirza-Baburin pairing: two and a half points and 500+ rating points difference between the players. There were three other players on a higher score than Diana but Lopez had to play Wall and presumably there were reasons why MacElligott and Shane Melaugh weren't available as pairings for Baburin.
    Fortunately this situation did not affect the fight for the title.

• Advertisement

There was 16 players, not 14, but yeah, the overall point is valid, if at least known at the outset.

Still, 25 moves in and there's not much in that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

The Championship games (last round) start today at 11:30!
    Completely ridiculous in such an important event to start the last rd in the morning

7/9 is a fantastic score looking at that field.
    Congrats to both Philip and Alex.

Joedryan wrote: »
    Completely ridiculous in such an important event to start the last rd in the morning

Nevertheless a lot of events do it to save competitors the expense of an extra night's accommodation (I have had to play at 9am occasionally), or because people have to go to work next day. And/or (as in the case of the British Championship which had the same schedule as the Irish this year) because they have a play-off, which incidentally is due to start at 5.15pm and could be exciting.

I tend to agree, though, because it's a Bank Holiday tomorrow (Republic of Ireland only), they could well have left the start time the same for the Irish.

Yes indeed, but mostly the credit is to Philip who is not only one of the oldest competitors in the field (if not the oldest), but also because he won his head-to-head games against four of the five top-rated rivals: Baburin, O'Donnell, Daly, and co-winner Alex Lopez.

So I guess it is Philip who earns the automatic place to the 2018 olympiad team (whether he wants to take it up may be another matter of course).

I would like to see a strong Irish team enter next year;s World Senior Teams 50+; we could have Baburin, Short, Daly and two others: maybe Fox and Cafolla? We have never had a team enter the 50+ Seniors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ComDubh

I was mesmerised by Short's performance, but of course Lopez's 2/2 finish against Daly and Wall, Black in both games, was remarkable.

I'll eat my hat if Phil plays the Olympiad! But you never know...

Yes indeed, but mostly the credit is to Philip who is not only one of the oldest competitors in the field (if not the oldest), but also because he won his head-to-head games against four of the five top-rated rivals: Baburin, O'Donnell, Daly, and co-winner Alex Lopez.

So I guess it is Philip who earns the automatic place to the 2018 olympiad team (whether he wants to take it up may be another matter of course).

I would like to see a strong Irish team enter next year;s World Senior Teams 50+; we could have Baburin, Short, Daly and two others: maybe Fox and Cafolla? We have never had a team enter the 50+ Seniors.
    I agree in part, but I would not make any reference to age, its irrelevant. It was just Philip showing what he is capable of. There is too much ageism in chess already.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

Yes indeed, but mostly the credit is to Philip who is not only one of the oldest competitors in the field (if not the oldest), but also because he won his head-to-head games against four of the five top-rated rivals: Baburin, O'Donnell, Daly, and co-winner Alex Lopez."

Short only looks the oldest :-)

Presumably in this tournament Philip was "smoking" in more ways than one!

I guess that's why...

I guess that's why...
    good for the nerves.

I guess that's why...
    good for the nerves.

Advertisement