Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cages are what animals are put in...

• 16-07-2010 1:45am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

....animals that are too savage to be allowed out, or even put on a leash.

Its not a good mental image, 's'all I'm saying. :)

DeV.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭mikey1

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

:) Your Stirring it up now Dev! :D Is this the new home for that topic again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

DeV.

Is that why they keep your sister in one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

A six year old girl keeping a pet hamster named Fluffy in a cage is probably the least violent image i can think of right now.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Come on, you know I'm a fan, obviously I'm being contentious. I'm just saying its not the greatest term for a sport we want to have taken seriously. My point in the OP is that if you had a "grrrrr" sort of reaction to my comment, then you should stop and think of how using that word impacts on how people see the sport.

This is what the world thinks of when it uses that word.

Just food for thought.

If we dont want the public and by extension the media to paint us as wild animals (human cock-fighting anyone?) then maybe we should shy away from describing ourselves in those terms...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Come on, you know I'm a fan, obviously I'm being contentious. I'm just saying its not the greatest term for a sport we want to have taken seriously. My point in the OP is that if you had a "grrrrr" sort of reaction to my comment, then you should stop and think of how using that word impacts on how people see the sport.

Just food for thought.

If we dont want the public and by extension the media to paint us as wild animals (human cock-fighting anyone?) then maybe we should shy away from describing ourselves in those terms...

DeV.

I fully agree with you, the term Cage fighter is stupid, you dont hear kickboxers calling themselves Ring fighters-The only people who refer to themselves as Cage fighters are wannabee hard men or just people who dont understand how stupid it sounds..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

MMA is a violent and extreme sport that is held in a cage. Let's not pretend otherwise.
    There are many people who will have a problem with the violent and bloody aspects of the sport and will not watch because of this. There are people who aren't as squeamish. I don't think either set is swayed one way or the other by the word "cage".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Just food for thought.

DeV.

Hmm when i clicked the link a pic of Nicholas Cage came up!!!! I see what you mean about it having a negative effect on the sport!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Not sure exactly what the issue is? Stop calling a fighting arena with a soft wire mesh a cage or stop using the word cage to describe MMA events?

Think this is an entire non-issue. I'd rather persevere and have the term cage when described with fighting become synonymous with MMA and not with pit fighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

pitfighter%20-%20md.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

Oh wow,

Wish that was real!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

Just food for thought.

Haha, This is the first image that came up on that search for me

Serioulsy, totally agree tho, hate the term cage fighter. The media uses it to portray the sport negatively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

The general public don't know what MMA is. They do know what cagefighting is - trying to get people to use one term over another is as pointless as trying to get people to say soccer instead of football.

I always use the term human cockfighting anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Clive wrote: »
    The general public don't know what MMA is. They do know what cagefighting is - trying to get people to use one term over another is as pointless as trying to get people to say soccer instead of football.

I always use the term human cockfighting anyway.

+1.

I'm loath to call it 'cage fighting', but I've often found when talking to the ignorant that I've referred to MMA as 'Cage Fighting' and usually got back "Ah, I know what you mean now".

'Cage Fighting' - I cringe, but it cover's what it is really.

When I'm over my dislocated ankle I'll be back 'mat fighting' soon :p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm off to do some "gym fighting" where I will indulge in some "kick bagging" I expect. :D :P

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Indeed it's a bad term, but they fight in a cage, simple as (unless they fight in a ring :P)

I really try not to use the word "Cage", if i'm talking about UFC i use the word Octagon..... but for other orgs who use the cage i can never think of another word?

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Like rings are supposed to circular, don't see why you can't call a MMA cage a MMA ring if you so wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

_oveless wrote: »
    pitfighter%20-%20md.jpg

I LOVE THAT GAME!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

In its early days, the UFC was advertised as both a bloodsport and cagefighting. Fortuntely, when Zuffa bought the UFC that changed. Personally I hate the term and don't know of any MMA fighter who refers to it as such. However, it is a widely used term by the many "hardman" who have some training under their belt.

Its not a cage if you can jump up and over it. :)

DeV.

by the way, I feel slightly embarrassed. I certainly mean no disrespect to any existing promoters or anyone who has used the term. I was just interested in promoting (provoking) some thoughts and discussion about the public view and the media perception of the sport. I wasnt having a sly dig at anyone. I'm not part of the "irish scene" in that sense and all I wanted was a provocative subject line to engage the community. I'm not "having a go" at anyone.

Trust me, when I want to have a go, I tend to be a lot clearer :):)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

TBH, I prefer the term I am a "cage fighter" as opposed to: "I practice UFC"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

El_Drago wrote: »
    Personally I hate the term and don't know of any MMA fighter who refers to it as such. However, it is a widely used term by the many "hardman" who have some training under their belt.

I don't know any fighter who doesn't use the term cagefighting when talking to normal people. People who know will say "oh MMA" or "oh, like the UFC", but anything else smacks of Maverick telling Charlie he's a Naval Aviator rather than a pilot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

People are always going to use the term 'Cage Fighter' when so many promotions insist on using the word 'Cage' in the name of their promotion.

To get people to stop using the term 'Cage Fighter' the word 'Cage' needs to be removed from the MMA vocabulary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

Not that i fight any more, but i tended just to say i trained in bjj with a bit of muay thai, and occasionally fought in mixed martial arts comps. Its amazing that most normal people haven't a clue on whats involved other than the marketing gimmick buzzwords, like ground and pound, etc. I might just be brand our club UFC wrestling, and see if the numbers pick up.

Its not a cage, its a fenced area. I work for the local council and am involved with the installation on play areas. They use pretty much exactly the same kind of fencing. I reckon they should call playgrounds "Cages", and see how that goes down. Its a matted, fenced area, both of which are for the atheletes protection. I really wish the media would get over it.

And pit fighter was a class game! Aaah back in the day when you had to go to the arcades down the high street to play good games! Just like in terminator 2. God i feel old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Sorry to break into this hilarious thread but isn’t it's premise a bit silly when fighters still referring to themselves as Cage Fighters as a holdover from the 90s and there is a MMA clothing brand called Cage Fighter just for examples. I don’t think the general public should be chided for being influenced by their was first exposure to the sport in other words reading about John McCain trying to be ban and as well how effectively SEG branded the UFC initially.

So sorry if it takes a while to be reposition a brand from being "banned in 36 states" with blood splats added to posters and ads to the modern day "we have rulez now" MMA/UFC.

Wasnt "Pit Fighter" Tank Abbot's discipline?

I was thinking of changing my name by deed poll to "Cagey Mc Cage Fighter"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    I was thinking of changing my name by deed poll to "Cagey Mc Cage Fighter"

Dont your username is class.

rovert wrote: »
    Dont your username is class.

I'm upset you don't like it.

Advertisement