Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strikeforce April 11th : Diaz vs Shamrock

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Ah, Frank! He didn't have an answer for Diaz's attacks. Miletich on commentary said that Frank had planned to throw more leg kicks, which he never really did for some reason. Diaz did what he nearly always does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

did anyone see the smith v radach fight? very enjoyable back and forth were either guy could have won it and both fighters being rocked on occasions and recovering.
    smith by ko in the 3rd

the cyborg and akano fight did go ahead in the end,
    and as expected cyborg just muscled her really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

the fight looked in slow motion :rolleyes:

TechnoPool wrote: »
    the fight looked in slow motion :rolleyes:

I'm sure that you'd beat them both by fighting regular speed, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Fozzy wrote: »
    I'm sure that you'd beat them both by fighting regular speed, yeah?

heh, of course goes without saying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Aisling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Aisling! wrote: »
    Agreed! Fights where there is that much of a size difference shouldn't be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Has a fight ever been stopped just because the outcome is so obvious, or it quickly becomes obvious early in the fight that it is a total mis-match, and there is no point in continuing (either for sporting matters or just to save one of the competitors from and inevitable and unnecessary beating)?

Or is there always the hope of a 'lucky punch' or a sub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Not to my knowledge but Im sure an anorak will correct me!

The thing I always thought that was good about MMA is that if you put a Level 5 fighter in with a level 4 fighter the fight will just be over in about 2 minutes via stoppage. (I'm making up the level 4 and 5 terms). You don't typically get a guy who is much much better than another guy but can't finish him and can only chip away.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Not to sure about that. I know a few fights have been pulled from cards by athletic commissions cause they felt it was too much of a mis-match but I dunno ive a fight ever actually started and the ref just went "nuts to this.he gonna die"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

calex71 wrote: »
    did anyone see the smith v radach fight? very enjoyable back and forth were either guy could have won it and both fighters being rocked on occasions and recovering.
    smith by ko in the 3rd

that fight certainly rocked, for me it was the fight of the night by far.
    The Shamrock Diaz fight went as I expected unfortunately. I have to agree with John it may be time for him to retire :(

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

Frank Shamrock walked away with over $ 300 grand for his 2nd round loss to Nick Diaz. Diaz got $39,950 for the 8 minutes and 37 seconds it took him to beat Shamrock. These figures do not include deductions for licenses, insurance and taxes. These figures do not include money paid by sponsors or any other type of locker room bonus.

Nick Diaz $39,950 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Frank Shamrock $369,790

Gilbert Melendez $49,890 (no win bonus) def. Rodrigo Damm $9,190

Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos $18,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Hitomi Akano $1,450

Scott Smith $49,940 (includes $25,000 win bonus) def. Benji Radach $16,940

Brett Rogers $39,940 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Ron Humphries $3,205

Luke Rockhold $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus) def. Buck Meredith $1,540

Eric Lawson $9,950 (includes $2,000 win bonus) def. Waylon Kennell $1,950

Raul Castillo $6,890 (includes $3,500 win bonus) def. Brandon Michaels $1,500

James Terry $3,940 (includes $2,000 win bonus) def. Zak Bucia $1,500

Shingo Kohara $940 (no win bonus) def. Jeremy Tavares $940

Total Payroll: $633,445
    Gate: Approx. $750,000

FROM MATRATZ.com

Bit suprising........Frank got like 10 times Diaz did, and Cyborg still managed to get that much without being fined for not making weight, some nice day days all the same...

How's it surprising? Frank's made around that much for every fight since he signed with Strikeforce and Diaz is the same

Fozzy wrote: »
    How's it surprising? Frank's made around that much for every fight since he signed with Strikeforce and Diaz is the same

I meant in general...not just Frank and Diaz.... I think you are intent on questioning every post i make today or something.. it was simply stating that i thought some of the payouts where suprising, i see you overlooked what i said about cyborg and Akano.....is this because you hadn't got a smart arse comment to make about that too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Judomad wrote: »
    I meant in general...not just Frank and Diaz.... I think you are intent on questioning every post i make today or something.. it was simply stating that i thought some of the payouts where suprising, i see you overlooked what i said about cyborg and Akano.....is this because you hadn't got a smart arse comment to make about that too?

A contract is a contract tho.

Does that figure for Hitomi Akano include the "bonus" she got for taking the fight?

I'm with Gary on this one! :eek:
    I'm surprised by how much Shamrock got compared to Diaz. Shamrock is obviously a good negotiator!

Pretty shocking how little Akano got as well.

rovert wrote: »
    A contract is a contract tho.

Does that figure for Hitomi Akano include the "bonus" she got for taking the fight?

Did you read what i posted????? If so you overlooked the part where it says this figure DOES NOT include bonuses......

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    I'm with Gary on this one! :eek: I'm surprised by how much Shamrock got compared to Diaz. Shamrock is obviously a good negotiator!

Pretty shocking how little Akano got as well.

Shocking!!!!

Shocking!!!!

I know! I'm going for a sit down now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    I'm with Gary on this one! :eek:
    I'm surprised by how much Shamrock got compared to Diaz. Shamrock is obviously a good negotiator!

The promotion was built around Shamrock for years he has a track record as a strong local draw.
    Did you read what i posted????? If so you overlooked the part where it says this figure DOES NOT include bonuses......

Chill, a yes/no would have done.

• Advertisement

The ****? What's your problem? All I did was say that Shamrock and Diaz getting paid about the same as they always do for Strikeforce isn't surprising, after you seemed to indicate that you thought it was. I didn't mention the other fighters because I didn't have anything to say about them. Since when have I ever made smart arse comments anywhere on Boards?

Advertisement