Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Discussion] Time for a charter

Options
  • 28-11-2006 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭

Right,

Everything has been running smoothly thus far (not even a warning issued yet \o/) but every forum needs a charter. As we're all grown-ups we should all have a say if there's anything we want/don't want in the charter.

The procedure relating to bannings agreed by myself and The_Minister, open to debate, are that if you break a soft rule you get a warning which will be notified on thread. Break another rule it's a week ban, which will be noted on thread and a PM sent. Obviously anything worthy of an immediate ban will receive one.

So, my stolen model:

General
    This is the Economics forum, for the discussion of topics relating to economic theory; academic economic courses; economic events and/or current economic affairs. This is not a personal finance forum. Quoted sources should be referenced if requested.

Plagiarism of economics papers from any website (including those belonging to lecturers), is not allowed. Do not claim the work of others as your own. If you post a paper on economics up for discussion, link to the website, or name the author.

Flaming
    Posts containing personal attacks on another user will be edited/deleted. Minor infringements will warrant a warning followed by a ban. Serious infringements and/or intentional flaming will receive an automatic ban.

Advertising
    Topics/posts that contain this will be both edited and locked. If you wish to buy ad space, contact DeVore. If you wish to advertise vacancies pertaining to Economics, please PM a moderator in advance.

Spamming
    Topics/posts that are just complete nonsense will be deleted.

Racism
    Topics/posts containing such will be edited/deleted accordingly.

Other
    As per boards.ie rules, distribution or aiding the distribution of illegal material is completely forbidden.

Any queries should be directed to Ibid or The_Minister

Sound good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

My name is the_minister :rolleyes:

The boards-wide policy of not linking to bit.torrent sites etc applies here too.

Plagerism of economics papers from any website (including those belonging to lecturers), is not allowed. Do not claim the work of others as your own. If you post a paper on economics up for discussion, link to the website, or name the author.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

My name is the_minister :rolleyes:
    Whoops. Got it right second time.
    The boards-wide policy of not linking to bit.torrent sites etc applies here too.
    Done.
    Plagarism of economics papers from any website (including those belonging to lecturers), is not allowed. Do not claim the work of others as your own. If you post a paper on economics up for discussion, link to the website, or name the author.
    Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Sounds A O K to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Looks good, I'd add just one or two things from experience:

An "Attack the post not the poster" part just to make it damn clear what is and is not acceptable in a debate. You'll probably get one or two hot topics on here that divide people and it helps to make explicit what is and what is not acceptable in such a discussion.

Also I'd add a "These are just general guidelines" message so you don't get rules lawyers trying to get out of a warning or ban by arguing the charter at you.

Oh and put up a sticky laying out how to "reference" papers etc. Whether quoting an extract and linking to the rest of the paper is ok, or whether just a link is allowed. We did have a discussion about this on mods ages ago over what's acceptable copyright-wise.

I'm glad to see this forum though, it needed to be split from business imho.

Thanks Nesf, it's good to hear the voice of experience. All those ideas sound great.
    Nesf wrote:
    it needed to be split from business imho.
    Personally, I'd like to see it in Soc. This area is at least as important as politics, or humanities, in modern Ireland.

• Advertisement

Personally, I'd like to see it in Soc. This area is at least as important as politics, or humanities, in modern Ireland.

I'd say that work/jobs is more important and far reaching than both... ;)

I wouldn't worry overly about the catagories, there are plently of forums in the "wrong" catagory from one perspective but in the "right" catagory from another.

nesf wrote:
    I'd say that work/jobs is more important and far reaching than both... ;)
    You forgot to mention After Hours too.....:p
    nesf wrote:
    I wouldn't worry overly about the catagories, there are plently of forums in the "wrong" catagory from one perspective but in the "right" catagory from another.
    I know, but damn, Soc is where the cool forums hang out. I saw them licking toads behind the bikeshed. And smoking. And the politics forum wears sunglasses even when its cloudy.

On a serious note, excessive trolling should not be allowed.

On a serious note, excessive trolling should not be allowed.

Well crafted subtle trolling should be applauded and admired though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Yeah - this place is a bit hidden away here in Biz>personal. I don't know if we'd be cool enough for soc though.

Also, do you think we could change the "Adam Smith - Resources for the Discussion of Economics." sticky to simply "Economics resources" or something to that effect? If a newcomer saw ADAM SMITH ominously positioned at the top of the board they might think we're a bunch of free market Zealots, Thatcher apologists and uncompromising Reganites. (I don't know maybe some of you are, but I totally respect that...:rolleyes: )

Advertisement