Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

mfceiling wrote: »
    Unfortunately nothing!! It's the new sky q box. Subscription for 2 months to eir by the looks of things.

Hmm guy in the thread below has sky q and seems to have got it working, on mobile not sure if the info is different from the other link I gave you

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057965822

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

mfceiling wrote: »
    Unfortunately nothing!! It's the new sky q box. Subscription for 2 months to eir by the looks of things.

Should work on Sky Q for live viewing. But you can't record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Thanks lads got it sorted!! Unfortunately I can't record so I might just get eir for the recording.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 guysmere

Ah give it up, this forum has seen miles better than this **** tier stuff. You need to work on your execution. More subterfuge, make it mildly believable. Do a bit of playing the provinces off one another, talk about the the lack of Amhran Na BhFiann, maybe sprinkle a bit of player poaching from other countries in. You have much to learn padawan.

Really? So lots of people take the piss out of Rugby? Mmm.... might be something in that. And as poaching players from other countries, that says it all. Enjoy your egg chasing bubble!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

What goes on inside someone's head that makes them think it's even vaguely amusing to try and take the piss out of other peoples enjoyment of a particular sport? I'll never understand it. Small people with small minds and little else to be doing with themselves I suppose. I genuinely feel for people who have so little in their lives that this passes for fun.

Ah well, better you than me guysmere. Now, back to the rugby.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Looking forward to tomorrow's games, Aus-Fiji aside as its too early. Cant call the other 2 at all though. Will be interesting to see how Argentina go. Can they peak for the RWC again or are they going to struggle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

molloyjh wrote: »
    Looking forward to tomorrow's games, Aus-Fiji aside as its too early. Cant call the other 2 at all though. Will be interesting to see how Argentina go. Can they peak for the RWC again or are they going to struggle?

One of the reasons Argentina do better at WCs is that they normally have a horrendous travel schedule and play Jet Lagged a lot. In the world cup they get to stay on one place...

But I don't think their team is as good as some past ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If you don't get up for Aus-Fiji you're a cop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Does virgin have an ITV channel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Matches are geo-locked i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

blackwhite wrote: »
    Matches are geo-locked i think

So I VPNed into Hampstead in England and the ITV Hub is working fine. No I just wonder if the games are on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

So I VPNed into Hampstead in England and the ITV Hub is working fine. No I just wonder if the games are on that?
    I'm in London and was watching the Japan game earlier at work on the ITV Hub so no issues there.

I've had a flick through the TV guide on the horizon box and no matches being shown tomorrow? RTE only covering Ireland games from now on or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I've had a flick through the TV guide on the horizon box and no matches being shown tomorrow? RTE only covering Ireland games from now on or what?

RTÉ are doing highlights in the evening, and showing Ireland matches in the pools and showing all of the knockouts too.

ITV and Eir Sport have the matches tomorrow.

RTÉ are doing highlights in the evening, and showing Ireland matches in the pools and showing all of the knockouts too.

ITV and Eir Sport have the matches tomorrow.

It turns out I have Eir sport now so have set up to record the Fiji game, might catch the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

ITV 3 + 4

But they now also have Eir Sport which has all the matches...

Speaking of Virgin I notice on their anywhere tv app, that RTE 2 feed is SD (even though the channel says HD), but the Eir Sport is the HD feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

MKinsella stat:
    47% of Ireland’s tries have come off Lineout in the past 2 seasons

Hopefully it goes well for Best.
    Delighted we have Scannell on the bench at least.
    Expecting a mighty performance from Henderson.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

molloyjh wrote: »

I can't call them either, but only the France v Argentina game really matters. The NZ - SA game just decides who plays Ireland and who plays Scotland (or Japan). Neither of them will lose another game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Been awake for 2 hours, too excited to sleep, what a feast of rugby we have on store. Enjoy all!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Sure, Russia could beat Ireland or whatever. But really, is there a single group stage game that has any relevance to the business end of the tournament, or are these games just a halfway house up from the warm up games of last month, for the teams that matter? The rest being 'just glad to be here' type cannon fodder. In the soccer world cup, minor teams can get out of groups, big names can tumble. But rugby doesnt lend itself to that type of upset. The top teams will just trundle through, with the only interest being who plays who in the quarters. And the way the groups fell this time, that really doesnt have many permutations of consequence either.

Sure, Russia could beat Ireland or whatever. But really, is there a single group stage game that has any relevance to the business end of the tournament, or are these games just a halfway house up from the warm up games of last month, for the teams that matter? The rest being 'just glad to be here' type cannon fodder. In the soccer world cup, minor teams can get out of groups, big names can tumble. But rugby doesnt lend itself to that type of upset. The top teams will just trundle through, with the only interest being who plays who in the quarters. And the way the groups fell this time, that really doesnt have many permutations of consequence either.

Tell that to England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What a load of rubbish....

In the soccer World Cup they have how many team and its pi** poor quality till the qtrs

Filling up spots with crap teams so some of the less crap teams get to the knock out doesn’t make the quality any better

You still end up with France, Germany, Argentina, Brazil etc in the last round ....maybe a blow in if England etc the odd time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

dh1985 wrote: »
    You cannot be serious. I have read some nonsensical posts on here but this really takes the biscuit. We should wrap the first team up for four weeks with he hope of getting to a qf and play 15 undercooked players that will get to the tempo of a high intensity international about a week after the full time whistle is blown.
    On Joe learning his lesson he has built a team over four years after identify the lack of squad depth during the last rwc. What more ca n the man do. The depth off the bench for an Irish side bearing in mind we are a small rugby nation is better then any NH team and only bested by NZ and possibly SA. That's including losing high quality guys along the way like Dan leavy, o brien, heaslip Jared Payne. And there is stills guys at home feeling har done buy like Jack McGrath, toner, jordi Murphy, marmion, addison, Ross Byrne. And the 2011-2015 was an ageing team. To do what Joe has done in the past number of years with Ireland without going through a typical transition/rebuilding phase and maintaining the high level that has brought irelands most successful period of rugby ever is something to be admired. And to be saying ****e like he should be relieved immediately from his position reeks of a guy that hasn't a clue what he is talking about.
    I think your sarcasm radar is on the blink there! TRoL’s user name should be a give away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Post World Cup would love to see Ireland copy the Barrett at 15 with carbery at 15. Kearney will be winding down his career and having the second 10 on the pitch offers so much. You have decent options at ten with Sexton still around and carty, Byrne there. Young crop of tens too at all the provinces in Byrne, Johnston, Lowery, Fitzgerald and flannery.

Obviously you could still throw carbery in at 10 when needed, as he’d hopefully play a lot there with Munster. Means you could get a center in the 22 jersey and a back three player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Shefwedfan wrote: »

In the soccer World Cup they have how many team and its pi** poor quality till the qtrs

Filling up spots with crap teams so some of the less crap teams get to the knock out doesn’t make the quality any better

You still end up with France, Germany, Argentina, Brazil etc in the last round ....maybe a blow in if England etc the odd time

In fairness that’s not rubbish. Only England’s group is in any way up for decision as to who would come out of it. Is there any possibility at all the other 6 teams in the quarters won’t be Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Aus, NZ, SA? it’s a foregone conclusion in fairness. So the pool stages essentially has 2 important games, one of which was played this morning.

I think most people know this to be true about the pool stages but just don’t want to admit it, the tournament doesn’t start until the quarter finals.

Point about the football World Cup is total nonsense. Virtually every tournament there’s a surprise package to make the last 4 and a couple of big teams crash out in the groups. Obviously the latter stages are usually made up of most of the best teams but that’s as it should be and that’s not the issue with the RWC. The issue is there’s no doubt whatsoever that these best teams will be in the quarters so why even bother with the groups?

Germany won the World Cup in 2014 and didn’t get out of the group in 2018. Croatia didn’t get out of the group in 2014 and got to the final in 2018.

I’ve enjoyed the rugby this morning but this is an elephant in the room in fairness!

• Advertisement

In fairness that’s not rubbish. Only England’s group is in any way up for decision as to who would come out of it. Is there any possibility at all the other 6 teams in the quarters won’t be Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Aus, NZ, SA? it’s a foregone conclusion in fairness. So the pool stages essentially has 2 important games, one of which was played this morning.

I think most people know this to be true about the pool stages but just don’t want to admit it, the tournament doesn’t start until the quarter finals.

Point about the football World Cup is total nonsense. Virtually every tournament there’s a surprise package to make the last 4 and a couple of big teams crash out in the groups. Obviously the latter stages are usually made up of most of the best teams but that’s as it should be and that’s not the issue with the RWC. The issue is there’s no doubt whatsoever that these best teams will be in the quarters so why even bother with the groups?

Germany won the World Cup in 2014 and didn’t get out of the group in 2018. Croatia didn’t get out of the group in 2014 and got to the final in 2018.

I’ve enjoyed the rugby this morning but this is an elephant in the room in fairness!

All of this would be true if it was an open draw for the quarter finals.

But its not. The pool winner plays the runner up in another pool. So the tournament starts in the pool stage, its just not nearly as intense until the quarter finals. Everyone else was just already aware of this.

All of this would be true if it was an open draw for the quarter finals.

But its not. The pool winner plays the runner up in another pool. So the tournament starts in the pool stage, its just not nearly as intense until the quarter finals. Everyone else was just already aware of this.

Seems a bit wasteful to play so many games just to jockey for position in the last 8. Surely something could be done to make these games more important. 4 groups dilutes it too much when there’s so little depth of quality.

2 groups of 6 with the top in each group in the semis and second and third in each group playing each other to join them?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

It might feck up travel arrangements but I think there should be a draw after group stages for 1/4s.

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    It might feck up travel arrangements but I think there should be a draw after group stages for 1/4s.

It wouldnt really make any difference. It will still be perm 8 from 9, with one group having a game of consequence. That having taken place this morning with the Argentine going out of the tournament. The only difference would be that the draw would be after the group rather than from the group draws themselves. It doesnt change that we always know 11 of th 12 who are going straight home. In the soccer wc this is absolutely not the case.

Still, encouraging from Ireland that NZ and Aus look very keen here to give themselves the best chance of playing Scotland rather than Ireland, so that is adding a little bite to this game.

• Advertisement

Ireland, England, Wales and Scotland have all failed to qualify from the group stages at some stage. In 2007 both Ireland and Wales failed to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Canada, Fiji and Samoa have also gotten to the quarter finals in the past.

I suspect the Japan Scotland game could be quiet competitive. Italy have beaten SA recently and will focus their tournament on having a crack at them - although very unlikely that they will beat SA.

Pool C has 3 contenders and at a stretch Tonga could cause trouble although not beat the top 3 - could be important for bonus points.

Fiji and Georgia will build their tournament about having a go at either Wales or Aus to have a chance at getting out of group.

Plus competition for third place in each group to qualify for next WC

That all said I agree its likely 8 from 9 (and argentinas chances are reduced after todays loss)

The World I going nuts about the tier 2 nations not getting enough of a chance and the conversation here is to cut them out of the WC....

The World Cup makes enough money for rugby to run for the next 4 years, hardly going to push revenues up by cutting the teams down

I’m in Germany and all the games are screened on tv which means a German tv station has paid rights....why would they bother if its 5-6 countries playing each other

Big teams have got knocked out at group stages etc.....look at ireland in 2011, Australia expected to hammer us

Are people aware that not so long ago ireland was terrible at rugby.....we where the team lucky to get out of a group....now we are trying to tell other countries we are too good for them?

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ireland, England, Wales and Scotland have all failed to qualify from the group stages at some stage. In 2007 both Ireland and Wales failed to qualify.

But really only Wales have ever failed, when Fiji pipped them. Otherwise, the teams going out went out because they were in the group with 3 of the 9.

But really only Wales have ever failed, when Fiji pipped them. Otherwise, the teams going out went out because they were in the group with 3 of the 9.

Yeah, that's fair. Both Japan and Tonga have been close to qualifying (losing out on bonus points). It is mildly irritating, but the situation won't improve by removing any chance the other teams have completely.

I don’t think Ireland could say that in 2007....they could have come up against the worst team in world and still taken a hammering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Fiji look like they would like a quarter final place. 😂 long way to go

JJJackal wrote: »
    Fiji look like they would like a quarter final place. 😂 long way to go

If they learn how to defend a maul they have a shot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Post World Cup would love to see Ireland copy the Barrett at 15 with carbery at 15. Kearney will be winding down his career and having the second 10 on the pitch offers so much. You have decent options at ten with Sexton still around and carty, Byrne there. Young crop of tens too at all the provinces in Byrne, Johnston, Lowery, Fitzgerald and flannery.

Obviously you could still throw carbery in at 10 when needed, as he’d hopefully play a lot there with Munster. Means you could get a center in the 22 jersey and a back three player.

We made the mistake before of trying to have ROG and Sexton on at the same time. And to a degree it really went against Madigan also. We shouldn't do that again.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Wegians89 wrote: »

We made the mistake before of trying to have ROG and Sexton on at the same time. And to a degree it really went against Madigan also. We shouldn't do that again.

It’s a little bit different considering many consider Joey’s best position to be 15...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Very different having a 10 at 12, compared to a second play maker at 15. However with Carberry playing all his club rugby at 10, it’s not a runner.

The ROG/Sexton thing was tried only briefly and was always a stupid idea.

Perhaps Madigan should have stayed at 12...

Difference is Carbery is a 15.....before we tried to convert a 10 into a 15.....now we are trying to convert a 15 into a 10....

Difference is Carbery is a 15.....before we tried to convert a 10 into a 15.....now we are trying to convert a 15 into a 10....

Carbery was never a 15. He played 9 at underage, then shifted to 10 for Blackrock and played all his AIL and other games there.

He's a similar player in mould of Beauden Barrett. He's a playmaker, and you try get him into the pitch wherever possible. In his case with Leinster, he wasn't going to supercede Sexton for big games, and with Kearney injured they had a gap at 15 as Larmour hadn't played there yet for them. His first time playing 15 was for the Leinster senior team.

Carbery was never a 15. He played 9 at underage, then shifted to 10 for Blackrock and played all his AIL and other games there.

He's a similar player in mould of Beauden Barrett. He's a playmaker, and you try get him into the pitch wherever possible. In his case with Leinster, he wasn't going to supercede Sexton for big games, and with Kearney injured they had a gap at 15 as Larmour hadn't played there yet for them. His first time playing 15 was for the Leinster senior team.

:confused: Carberry definitely played 15 for Blackrock

:confused: Carberry definitely played 15 for Blackrock

Yeah that's my bad, I thought Keenan had played 15 for Blackrock that year.

Still wouldn't stretch to saying Munster/Ireland are trying to 'convert' him to a 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

If Carbery is playing 15... Who's playing 10?

Edit: assuming Sexton has two more years maximum

Yeah that's my bad, I thought Keenan had played 15 for Blackrock that year.

Still wouldn't stretch to saying Munster/Ireland are trying to 'convert' him to a 10.

No it was always the plan to move him to 10 from very early on in the academy as far as I know.

If he had stayed at Leinster then I could completely understand the thought of him playing anywhere else but 10 is clearly the best place for him now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If Carbery is playing 15... Who's playing 10?

Edit: assuming Sexton has two more years maximum

Harry Byrne.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Hoppy Jack

Clegg wrote: »
    Harry Byrne.

Stop. There’s a real problem for Eire when Sexton finishes. Carbery is so injury prone. He won’t hack it a no1 Eire fly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement