Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Here is one of the messages that is floating around. Again - I'm not sure if this breaches the charter but it is all over the internet. Remove if not appropriate.

67g9l0qiccn31.jpg

I giggled at the "laundering money through his café" :)

Only a matter of time before someone claims to have seen a blood spatter in said café.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

On a more cheery note and pure random general comments (because this is getting depressing), my little lad is starting his first training session this Saturday.

No amount of RWC will tempt me away from that

Get the tape off to Joe, with all the injury talk going around there may be a call up in the next few weeks if they hit the ground running!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Such specific bets would raise a flag to begin with. Linking different accounts on website or finding out the owner of a business is not hard. There are behavior patterns on the site, betting patterns, location timestamps and after all that there are private investigators, how on Earth did he think he would get away with it?

Such specific bets would raise a flag to begin with. Linking different accounts on website or finding out the owner of a business is not hard. There are behavior patterns on the site, betting patterns, location timestamps and after all that there are private investigators, how on Earth did he think he would get away with it?

Purely speculation on my part, but if he's a gambling addict, then thoughts of getting away with it would be over ridden by the impulse to gamble.

That's fairly strongly contradicted by the preemptive element that seems to be in play here though.

Really hard to know how he came make such decisions. I mean he's got a good career, hardly on the breadline or anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Rumours going around that the Howley thing goes much deeper with more people involved within the camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

NeonWolf wrote: »
    Rumours going around that the Howley thing goes much deeper with more people involved within the camp.

I’ve read this on another forum too! It could be huge by all accounts

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Is it being suggested that players are involved?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Weakened teams picked intentionally and worse....

Weakened teams picked intentionally and worse....

That's entering territory where Gatland could be involved. That's a huge accusation. It would potentially be the biggest scandal in rugby history.

• Advertisement

Nah, they just want an excuse for their sh1te performances against Ireland ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Nah, they just want an excuse for their sh1te performances against Ireland ;)

It'll be Ireland's fault by the end of the story due to be Paddy Power being an Irish entity :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Is it being suggested that players are involved?

All I’ve read is that more than Howley is/was involved! Players or coaches I don’t know! We may see from the teams demeanor when they play on Monday! Will it impact their performance (they’ll still win)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I was tempted to throw a few quid on Wales to win it but not so sure now,what a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That's entering territory where Gatland could be involved. That's a huge accusation. It would potentially be the biggest scandal in rugby history.

Not if it goes back to when Gatland was with the lions. If Gatland or any players get pulled into this, then that’s Wales World Cup over and done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

NZ and SA national anthems.....the most boring in the world? The match hasn't even started and I'm slowly drifting off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Quick question, I’m watching this morning and enjoying it but would I be right in saying that all the best teams in each pool play each other this weekend? So does that basically mean there won’t be another meaningful game for nearly a month?

And since 2 teams come through each group does it not mean basically every big team bar 1 team from England’s are guaranteed to get through? So the proper games don’t really start until the quarter finals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Quick question, I’m watching this morning and enjoying it but would I be right in saying that all the best teams in each pool play each other this weekend? So does that basically mean there won’t be another meaningful game for nearly a month?

And since 2 teams come through each group does it not mean basically every big team bar 1 team from England’s are guaranteed to get through? So the proper games don’t really start until the quarter finals?
    Australia Wales next weekend and quite a lot more....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Australia Wales next weekend and quite a lot more....

Ya but they’re both guaranteed to get out of the group are they not? Just seems a bit wasteful to have to play so many games to just get rid of 1 good team and 10 or 11 terrible ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ya but they’re both guaranteed to get out of the group are they not? Just seems a bit wasteful to have to play so many games to just get rid of 1 good team and 10 or 11 terrible ones

Finishing top of the group is normally quite important.

And England still have to play France/Argentina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Maybe.
    What do you do? It isnt better for sport to drop to 16. Sport cant be closing off numbers and Finishing top of pool is quite important
    England still have France, Argentina to play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

https://twitter.com/gloucesterrugby/status/1175348470934384641?s=09

Great idea from Gloucetser, fans who have left their seats will have to wait for a break in play to be able to get back into their seat

guapos wrote: »

Great idea from Gloucetser, fans who have left their seats will have to wait for a break in play to be able to get back into their seat

Simple and brilliant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

A world cup [in any sport] isn't just about getting rid of the weaker teams.

For those teams aiming to go all the way it's about being able to maintain form, fitness and focus for the duration of the tournament.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

guapos wrote: »

I want to thank this 1,000 times.

The Aviva would be so much better with this policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Paddy Jackson picked up his first cap for London Irish today, got about 30 minutes off the bench for Myler and kicked a conversion. Went well enough, he'll be fighting an uphill battle to displace Myler from the starting jersey who has a lot of Premiership experience and is a reliable option.

Paddy Jackson picked up his first cap for London Irish today, got about 30 minutes off the bench for Myler and kicked a conversion. Went well enough, he'll be fighting an uphill battle to displace Myler from the starting jersey who has a lot of Premiership experience and is a reliable option.

Jackson is a better outhalf. Even when Myler was at his best he was a limited enough player, Jackson was putting in performances against South Africa before circumstances over took him.

I'd be very surprised if there was much of a competition there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

chewed wrote: »
    NZ and SA national anthems.....the most boring in the world? The match hasn't even started and I'm slowly drifting off.

SA is a decent number. Miles better than GSTQ anyway

Jackson is a better outhalf. Even when Myler was at his best he was a limited enough player, Jackson was putting in performances against South Africa before circumstances over took him.

I'd be very surprised if there was much of a competition there.

He is, but he also hasn't played consistent rugby since 2017, his time in Perpignan was fairly brutal albeit playing with a poor team. Myler started 9 games last season for them though, he's not exactly a top level outhalf but I would say he's definitely capable of managing a game for them and knows the systems a bit better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He is, but he also hasn't played consistent rugby since 2017, his time in Perpignan was fairly brutal albeit playing with a poor team. Myler started 9 games last season for them though, he's not exactly a top level outhalf but I would say he's definitely capable of managing a game for them and knows the systems a bit better.

He can know the systems all he wants. That will help him for a couple months tops - Jackson is in a different league as far as outhalves go. I didn't follow him in Perpignan to be fair, so not really sure of the ins and outs of it, but he was the best 10 Ireland have had not named Sexton in the last 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Podge_irl wrote: »
    He can know the systems all he wants. That will help him for a couple months tops - Jackson is in a different league as far as outhalves go. I didn't follow him in Perpignan to be fair, so not really sure of the ins and outs of it, but he was the best 10 Ireland have had not named Sexton in the last 6 years.

He was absolutely useless in Perpignan, but so was everyone else.

Jackson hasn’t shown anything near Pro14 standard rugby in 2 years, never mind international standard. Myler was solid if unspectacular at his peak, and he’s long past that. LI are taking a punt on both really. Madigan probably would have been a much better signing.

• Advertisement

On a more cheery note and pure random general comments (because this is getting depressing), my little lad is starting his first training session this Saturday.

No amount of RWC will tempt me away from that

Well he absolutely loved it, came off the pitch beaming and saying how great it was.

I still feel a bit dirty standing in Cork Con though, I better get over that

He was absolutely useless in Perpignan, but so was everyone else.

Jackson hasn’t shown anything near Pro14 standard rugby in 2 years, never mind international standard. Myler was solid if unspectacular at his peak, and he’s long past that. LI are taking a punt on both really. Madigan probably would have been a much better signing.

Jackson is, understandably, messed in the head.

A season of, hopefully, just good rugby and his form should improve.

Podge_irl wrote: »

He was a non-entity in Perpignan. Granted the pack was constantly on the back foot, and was surrounded by players who didn't care, but his appearances were pretty much those of someone just going through the motions, apart from the first game against Racing. He's very much an unknown commodity since the legal situation, he definitely has the skill there to be a top-flight outhalf, but it's still to be seen over the last two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

He was a non-entity in Perpignan. Granted the pack was constantly on the back foot, and was surrounded by players who didn't care, but his appearances were pretty much those of someone just going through the motions, apart from the first game against Racing. He's very much an unknown commodity since the legal situation, he definitely has the skill there to be a top-flight outhalf, but it's still to be seen over the last two years.

Sorry I gave up on Jackson after this monstrosity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Well he absolutely loved it, came off the pitch beaming and saying how great it was.

I still feel a bit dirty standing in Cork Con though, I better get over that
    At least you can admit it.
    And you're not one of those parents who just wants to tell everyone little Timmy plays for Con :pac:

Is it your closest club?

At least you can admit it.
    And you're not one of those parents who just wants to tell everyone little Timmy plays for Con :pac:

Is it your closest club?

Closest senior club, with the good coach to kid ratio and facilities that come with it.
    Fermoy would be my closest but I'm originally from the city so know nobody there. I already know one of the Con Mini coaches, from college team, and other members generally.
    Takes an extra 10 minutes to get there Vs Fermoy.

The options were Con/Douglas/Sunday's Well (I played with the latter 2) but Con just a bit closer.

Pity St. Mary's is out of commuting range ;) (that club is the only thing I miss, from my time in Dublin)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He was out of rugby for a year and then went into a team who were falling apart. Obviously he may not re-capture his form, but even if he doesn't reach the heights he did before he is a better outhalf than Myler by a long, long way so he doesn't need to hit 100%.

As to Madigan, he has no real excuses for his performances and they've seen him benched. I think he would have had a better career as a 12/15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The Perpignan team may have been falling to bits, and that may have made their first choice outhalf look bad. But the real damning part of his year is that he wasn't first choice from mid season onwards. The other guy has the same pack and the same team in meltdown.

errlloyd wrote: »
    But the real damning part of his year is that he wasn't first choice from mid season onwards. The other guy has the same pack and the same team in meltdown.

Think he'd largely signalled his intention to move on at that stage, not unusual for a club to give gametime priority to the player they'll be likely holding onto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Think he'd largely signalled his intention to move on at that stage, not unusual for a club to give gametime priority to the player they'll be likely holding onto.

Yeah I may be misremembering but pretty sure he was axed after his intention to move on became public. He was getting grief off Perpignan fans around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

If he was in a bad team in France, it will be much the same in London. Relegation still a big threat for them. Jackson (I believe) is a marquee player on big money, so of course he will play. Madigan would never have been an option as he is under contract with Bristol.

Big risk by Kidney signing him though. Kidney and Jackson both have a bit to prove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

So it seemed Israel Folau was to return to rugby league and play with Tonga but now it isn’t so certain he’ll be allowed to

Bridge93 wrote: »
    So it seemed Israel Folau was to return to rugby league and play with Tonga but now it isn’t so certain he’ll be allowed to
    He'd fit in quite well over there :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Tonga

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zlMVu9CXgqk&feature=youtu.be#dialog

Short documentary on Rodney Ah-You, well worth a watch.

Fri 7:45pm Ulster vs Ospreys - Eir

Sat 5:45am Argentina vs Tonga - Eir
    Sat 8:15am Japan vs Ireland - RTE/Eir
    Sat 10:45am South Africa vs Namibia - Eir
    Sat 3pm Munster vs Dragons - TG4/Eir
    Sat 5:15pm Scarlets vs Connacht - TG4
    Sat 5:15pm Benetton vs Leinster - Eir

Sun 6:15am Georgia vs Uruguay - Eir
    Sun 8:45am Australia vs Wales - Eir

Pace yourselves.

• Advertisement

Pace yourselves.
    Russian Grand Prix...
    NFL Sunday...

Saturday Morning
    giphy.gif

Sunday Night
    giphy.gif

Cheika and now Hansen, the prevalence of Social Media will shine a light more and more on the cheat merchants. No team will be immune but the dark masters are the ones making noise.

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/hansen-slams-trial-by-social-media/?fbclid=IwAR16z_KNIpd0rRA-PUAjj2U0iBAaceK3XVy73jckjen8LfmLWDiu6GlVVpg

Russian Grand Prix...
    NFL Sunday...

Saturday Morning
    giphy.gif

Sunday Night
    giphy.gif

Vikings @ Bears 9:25pm Sunday.
    Monday will be rough.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/9988123/england-rugby-steffon-armitage-guilty-sexually-assaulting-woman-france/

i havent seen this mentioned anywhere but steffon armitage in trouble :
    A FORMER England rugby player has been handed a suspended sentence after being found guilty of groping a woman outside a bar in France.
    A court today handed the former flanker a suspended sentence for six months. He was also ordered to pay the victim 5,000 euros (£4,400) compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

sydthebeat wrote: »

I wonder is that going to impact on his ability to get a visa to play in San Diego next year?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement