Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Wales 07/09/2019

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It was very good. Composed. Not without error, but with way fewer errors.

Still a little annoyed we didn't convert 5 or 6 set piece chances from 5m out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I think you are confirming things to yourself here. Ringrose may be seen as a super sub, or he might be off form or carrying a knock.

Alternatively Joe might be getting him time on the wings should we need cover there. That could mean he is the 23 or it could mean whoever is the 23 will be a centre with Ringrose capable of drifting out and Henshaw capable of dropping back to 15. I think Carty and Carbery are more likely to go fullback in a game however.

Eitherway, Ruddocks game time suggested he wasn't travelling. Our centre pairing and pecking order is still completely fluid and may stay that way with combinations picked to do a specific job against specific teams.

Two other things about our mid field yesterday. They had a significant platform from a highly aggressive pack. Secondly the ball died in mid field a lot. Without knowing how Ireland plan to bring our wings into the game its hard to predict what's going to be done with our centres. Ringrose is head and shoulders the best distributor and Second pivot.

I wouldn't be surprised with an Aki Henshaw first choice pairing. Just wouldn't be betting anything important in it just yet.

The biggest story yesterday was our defence. Wales got wide of us a few times and were closed down. Took an intercept break to give them field position for a try.

Just like Scotland in the 6 N's.

• Site Banned Posts: 41 thesiegeof

Caught up on the game. Clearly it was far more encouraging, especially in defence but still some real worries. The lineout and the fact that we can be closed out so easily. I hope we're just keeping moves for the world cup but I'm worried that the big teams will nullify our attack with not much issue. By big teams I mean South Africa/New Zealand in the quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think you are confirming things to yourself here. Ringrose may be seen as a super sub, or he might be off form or carrying a knock.

Alternatively Joe might be getting him time on the wings should we need cover there. That could mean he is the 23 or it could mean whoever is the 23 will be a centre with Ringrose capable of drifting out and Henshaw capable of dropping back to 15. I think Carty and Carbery are more likely to go fullback in a game however.

Eitherway, Ruddocks game time suggested he wasn't travelling. Our centre pairing and pecking order is still completely fluid and may stay that way with combinations picked to do a specific job against specific teams.

Two other things about our mid field yesterday. They had a significant platform from a highly aggressive pack. Secondly the ball died in mid field a lot. Without knowing how Ireland plan to bring our wings into the game its hard to predict what's going to be done with our centres. Ringrose is head and shoulders the best distributor and Second pivot.

I wouldn't be surprised with an Aki Henshaw first choice pairing. Just wouldn't be betting anything important in it just yet.

The biggest story yesterday was our defence. Wales got wide of us a few times and were closed down. Took an intercept break to give them field position for a try.

I would imagine the plan was to replace Henshaw at 60 mins but Earls getting injured put paid to that. Ringrose is as nailed on as it gets, the question is who starts at 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I didn’t see too much wrong with his game. Two missed conversions, a bad kick from hand and shipped a pass to Biggar but still I couldn’t be too critical of his performance.

that really was the point i was making - he was grand - some other poster said he was atrocious - i was just trying to balance it up - if Johnnys stays fit, should have a huge influence on how Ireland perform in Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

stephen_n wrote: »

I would imagine the plan was to replace Henshaw at 60 mins but Earls getting injured put paid to that. Ringrose is as nailed on as it gets, the question is who starts at 12.
    I can only see Aki and Ringrose for Scotland.
    Henshaw looked in great nick but Probably on the bench for Scotland and starts v Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I've mentioned on here before about Andy Porter's diminutive size. It was apparent when he shook President Michael D Higgin's hand. They are almost the same height.

Dimunitive size??!! :confused::confused: He's easily over 120kgs and Irish Rugby have him listed as 6'0. They have Killer down as 6'0 also and Larmour as 5'10

Given how they lined up here that's very believable.

Almost the same as Michael D.... that's hilarious

hvH16j5.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dimunitive size??!! :confused::confused: He's easily over 120kgs and Irish Rugby have him listed as 6'0. They have Killer down as 6'0 also and Larmour as 5'10

Given how they lined up here that's very believable.

Almost the same as Michael D.... that's hilarious

hvH16j5.jpg

James Ryan is six eight which might explain it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Porter is an unusual shape. He has a huge ass.

p.s. The Aviva is a very average stadium. It was eerily quiet there at times yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

p.s. The Aviva is a very average stadium. It was eerily quiet there at times yesterday.

It's called being absolutely stacked.

Warm ups are always quiet. The Millennium was dead last week. Though it's no secret that the Aviva is worse than most even during high intensity games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

thebaz wrote: »
    that really was the point i was making - he was grand - some other poster said he was atrocious - i was just trying to balance it up - if Johnnys stays fit, should have a huge influence on how Ireland perform in Japan.

I meant to multiple quote and include the other poster and what I should have said was ‘I didn’t see too much wrong with his game (either)’.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

Didn't realise Porter was only 23. What an animal of a man.

We're stacked with Tadhg and him at TH. 'member when we were relying on Hayes and Ross to stay fit and last 60 minutes/

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Didn't realise Porter was only 23. What an animal of a man.

We're stacked with Tadhg and him at TH. 'member when we were relying on Hayes and Ross to stay fit and last 60 minutes/

John ryan

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am pretty sure if someone was the same height as Michael D Higgins they wouldn't get within a mile of a front row in professional rugby.

Isn't there usually some height requirements there to ensure the scrum isn't completely lopsided?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

There was one move early on the game when Ireland were attacking, both aki and Henshaw were involved it was a free flow move where you could see the natural understanding between the 2 players. I'm convinced Schmidt will go the same pairing against Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    I am pretty sure if someone was the same height as Michael D Higgins they wouldn't get within a mile of a front row in professional rugby.

Isn't there usually some height requirements there to ensure the scrum isn't completely lopsided?

Nicola Mas was pretty short and used it to his advantage but he was still considerably larger than Michael D Higgins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I think Ringrose on the wing is just way of getting our best players on the paddock. There is too much of a touch of the honest trier about Earls, rather than real international class threat. Aki, blind eye to the lack of Irishness, and Henshaw, is a decent combo. With Larmour now well and truly a busted flush/emperors new clothes, and Conway competent but limited decent back up for lesser games material, having variety of style yet two genuinely threatening wings on the pitch in Stocksie and Ringrose, has a lot of attractions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

typhoony wrote: »
    There was one move early on the game when Ireland were attacking, both aki and Henshaw were involved it was a free flow move where you could see the natural understanding between the 2 players. I'm convinced Schmidt will go the same pairing against Scotland.
    Joe puts a bigger premium on defense rather than free flowing attacking moves.
    He publicly criticised Henshaw when defending at 13 v Australia in last summers tour.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

troyzer wrote: »

I don't think theres any other player built like him tbh.

Freakish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I don't think theres any other player built like him tbh.

Freakish.

he was huge when he was with the 20's - sound guy too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

awec wrote: »

Having spent way too much time researching this in an effort to be Right Online, I must admit defeat, only able to offer Thomas Domingo at 5”8, and Tom Youngs at 5”9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Joe puts a bigger premium on defense rather than free flowing attacking moves.

Did you watch any of Joe's teams playing club rugby? it was the best free flowing attacking rugby in the World. He has just swapped styles for international

Even listen to ROG after he joined the summer tour.....the media came up with this one and it has been rebuffed by a number of people who actually work with Ireland

He publicly criticised Henshaw when defending at 13 v Australia in last summers tour.

Link to this? I don't remember it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

troyzer wrote: »

Warm ups are always quiet. The Millennium was dead last week. Though it's no secret that the Aviva is worse than most even during high intensity games.

That's not the Aviva. Thats Irish rugby supporters. We're pretty crap overall. The Aviva can be amazing if the supporters get involved properly, as we've seen on a few occasions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

molloyjh wrote: »
    That's not the Aviva. Thats Irish rugby supporters. We're pretty crap overall. The Aviva can be amazing if the supporters get involved properly, as we've seen on a few occasions.

Because most are not supporters.

It's a day out, not a rugby match for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Quite enjoying the unexpected twist this thread has taken:

Comparing international front-rows to Michael D. Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

There is too much of a touch of the honest trier about Earls, rather than real international class threat.

Don't think Earls has much to prove on the wing, hasn't he done it again & again for us in the past both scoring but also pulling off try saving tackles. Take honest effort over pretension any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Don't think Earls has much to prove on the wing, hasn't he done it again & again for us in the past both scoring but also pulling off try saving tackles. Take honest effort over pretension any day.

Sometimes your better knowing who your replying to and then not bothering, this is one of those times.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,838 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Don't bite......

It's a preseason friendly, hardly much to get excited about....

Even Woody said Twickers was dead for the England game.

Most people are watching just hoping nobody gets an injury

The reaction at the end for Best was very good!!!!

elefant wrote: »

Go to the main Ireland thread for a bit of sexism first thing on a Monday morning

• Advertisement

Watched the game back.

I have a lot of time for James Ryan but there was a moment for me where he just ascended to a new level of respect from me.

6 minutes on the game clock and Ireland are caught extremely narrow and he's the last man in the defensive line with Ringrose dropped back covering the kick.

Ball gets wide and Ringrose gets into the front line but it's a 4 on 2 with Halfpenny, Tipuric (whose no slouch), Jonathan Davies and Josh Adams.

Ringrose does extremely well to not engage but this was only possible by Ryan absolutely bursting a lung to cover a very impressive amount of ground (showing real pace given how much heavier he looks) makes the tackle and gets the ball loose.

Incredible bit of covering out wide

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That was Larmour, not Ringrose, but yeah it was impressive. Wales had massive space and numbers.

That was Larmour, not Ringrose, but yeah it was impressive. Wales had massive space and numbers.

You're spot on.

Bit of a brain fart. I knew Garry didn't start. I knew and saw Larmour wearing the 14 shirt and knew that Garry wasn't on in the 6th minute and credited him anyway lol.

Was impressive bit of fielding by Jordan though. His defense has come on a long way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Don’t think so. It would be a very odd way to get ringrose ready for the World Cup as starting 13. O’Driscoll has said the same thing today. Expect Aki Henshaw will start and don’t think that pairing will be changing if they continue to perform as they did at the weekend. The Ruddock example isn’t really relevant as obviously there is a big difference between bringing a squad player and having your starters ready to go for your most important pool game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

elefant wrote: »

Particularly as he was a winger himself. Does he still hold the record for most tries as a Lions player?

Watched the game back.

I have a lot of time for James Ryan but there was a moment for me where he just ascended to a new level of respect from me.

6 minutes on the game clock and Ireland are caught extremely narrow and he's the last man in the defensive line with Ringrose dropped back covering the kick.

Ball gets wide and Ringrose gets into the front line but it's a 4 on 2 with Halfpenny, Tipuric (whose no slouch), Jonathan Davies and Josh Adams.

Ringrose does extremely well to not engage but this was only possible by Ryan absolutely bursting a lung to cover a very impressive amount of ground (showing real pace given how much heavier he looks) makes the tackle and gets the ball loose.

Incredible bit of covering out wide

I knew Murray read these forums!! I'm expecting royalties Mr Kinsella :pac::pac:

https://www.the42.ie/james-ryan-ireland-wales-tackle-4802198-Sep2019/

I knew Murray read these forums!! I'm expecting royalties Mr Kinsella :pac::pac:

https://www.the42.ie/james-ryan-ireland-wales-tackle-4802198-Sep2019/

Although he did well to get across, it was shocking play from Wales. Ryan should have been made to commit to a tackle early on by Wales straightening the attack.

It's failure to do basics like this which amaze me in international rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Everyone should have something to prove ...all the time...no free spots your only as good as your last performance ..

Basil3 wrote: »
    Although he did well to get across, it was shocking play from Wales. Ryan should have been made to commit to a tackle early on by Wales straightening the attack.

It's failure to do basics like this which amaze me in international rugby.

VDF does very well to get in Patchells face and make him play it early in fairness.

Halfpenny catches it into his chest checking his run slightly and completely takes away any option to try fix Ryan as he's got another Welsh player in front of him. If Halfpenny takes that ball in front of him then he's got 2 or 3 steps to fix Ryan and then it's 3 on 1

No sooner has halfpenny caught he ball than Ryan has turned and sprinted out turning what should have been a 4 on 2 into a 3 on 2 with the option of using the touchline as a defender which we did pretty well.

Nice bit of unsung work rate from Josh there (or a poor pass from Patchell - probably both)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

This thread is on its 46th page, but I am only joining in now, so please excuse me if this has already been asked;

Wales had a player sin binned almost at the end of the game on Saturday. I’ Guessing he only served 2 minutes or so. What happens to the other minutes? Someone asked me today & I really haven’t a clue. Do they start their first game in Japan with 14 - surely not?

This thread is on its 46th page, but I am only joining in now, so please excuse me if this has already been asked;

Wales had a player sin binned almost at the end of the game on Saturday. I’ Guessing he only served 2 minutes or so. What happens to the other minutes? Someone asked me today & I really haven’t a clue. Do they start their first game in Japan with 14 - surely not?

The yellow card and sin binning expires at full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Would be hilarious though for the last game of a season, having to wait a few minutes to join the first game a couple of months later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It would bring a whole new layer to a match strategy if the opposition started with 14 for 8 minutes.

Advertisement