Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI GF4MX 440's

Options
  • 21-05-2003 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Spotted some GF4MX 440's (PCI version), which is probably one of the fastest PCI cards you can get, over in Dixons in Liffey Valley the other day. I reckon they've miss labelled them as they are €109. Seems good price to me. I'd say they'll remark them up to 150-200 once they spot it. I'd have bought one but I'm broke myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Cant see how this is a Bargain?

You can get them cheaper on Komplett. They are hard to find tho (PCI versions). GF4 MXs are generally a rippoff, I got a PCI Radeon 9000 for $95 from the US on import.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

€14 cheaper yeah theres a HHHHUUUUUUGGGGEEEE difference alright. For Dixons its a bargain. You can't really expect a high street store to be cheaper than the web but the fact that the're close in price is something to note I reckon. Notmally the're 100% more expensive.

Also its a lot easier and cheaper to return something to a shop than over the web and then theres some people that can't order from the web since they don't have a credit card etc. So for that reason alone it was worth mentioning.

Also theresomething nicer about buying something in a shop then online. But of course price is important, but if the price was close I'd go to a retail shop first. Normally the online shops are a lot cheaper though.

I had a 9000pro for a while and thought it was slower then the GFMX on some titles, especially older titles but slightly faster on new games. I also had lots of driver/display problems with older titles but newer ones ran ok. The GF4MX ran everything new and old without a hitch. The ATI drivers also wouldn't uninstall properly. Which reminded my of all the hassles I used to have on older ATI cards. So I sold mine.

As for buying it for $95 from the US, where did you get it? I kinda keen on sourcing a PCI 7000 which I can flash for the Mac. I assume you avoided the import charges/tax/vat or whatever they try to catch you with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Yeah, fair enough its not that much cheaper in komplett, I was just been picky. :p

I got that Radeon 9000 PCI on eBay myself, for my non-PC system, a 64Bit Alpha Linux workstation. It was sold by a company thru eBay, new in unopened box. It has true DX8 hw support, DVI, VGA and TV out, all for under $100.

Matt

Advertisement