Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone Smart X9 89.99

• 14-03-2019 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

This is 149.99 but 60 euro off if you switch to Vodafone = 89.99. Great price for this phone.
    I can't post links yet, you can find it in prepay phones on Vodafone website.

What I did is order free Eir sim card, and when it arrives switch it to Vodafone to get it for 89.99 and throw away Eir card. You can buy cheap unlock code on ebay if this is locked.

It was recently on HotUkDeals for 99.99 sterling and it went hot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leo2a6

is it locked ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

leo2a6 wrote: »
    is it locked ?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Shpongler

It's only €1.40 to unlock on ebay

Seems like a nice bit of phone for the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Looks a great phone for 90 euro .
    Similar enough spec to the P Smart .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Cheers op - were you made to purchase a topup when ordering and if so did it go onto the SIM or come as a voucher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

I've recently purchased this phone, it is unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

NFC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

dodzy wrote: »
    NFC?
    yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Shpongler wrote: »

Do you have a link for this?

Thanks

• Advertisement

doesnt the phone work funny after unlocking with these codes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭DopeTech

doesnt the phone work funny after unlocking with these codes ?

No, where did you hear that?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    No, where did you hear that?

I had a bad experience but that was years ago, that's why I ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

I had a bad experience but that was years ago, that's why I ask.

I unlocked one of the older Vodafone models (vfd 700) from eBay few years back and never had any issues..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Stetsonfrank

If i get a sim card today from carphone warehouse for another network, say Eir and put €5 on it would this work when I went to purchase the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Shpongler wrote: »

How do you unlock a phone with something you buy on eBay ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

jntsnk wrote: »
    How do you unlock a phone with something you buy on eBay ?

When you insert a foreign sim, the phone asks for unlock code. You type that code in. And the phone explodes. Or unlocks. Depends on the genuinely of the seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

If i get a sim card today from carphone warehouse for another network, say Eir and put €5 on it would this work when I went to purchase the phone?

You don't even need the top up, also you can order a free sim

seems reasonable for 90 euro alright if someone is in need of a basic phone.

I bought two of these for family and the phones are unlocked out of the box so no need for an unlock code.
    Very impressed with the phone ,thanks OP.

• Advertisement

Great phone and the camera is brilliant on it, thanks OP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

Are these quick charge enabled or standard charging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Had an old O2 SIM lying around so bought it. No harm to have a backup phone - especially as I'm thinking of selling my S9+ for a Note 9

Cheers OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Morby wrote: »
    Are these quick charge enabled or standard charging?

No quick charge as far as I can tell. It is USB C enabled.

Seems to be a very good phone for the money.

https://www.stuff.tv/vodafone/smart-x9/review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Had an old O2 SIM lying around so bought it. No harm to have a backup phone - especially as I'm thinking of selling my S9+ for a Note 9

Cheers OP

Arrived this morning. Great phone for the price with minimal bloat.

Unlocked as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 onthelook

Glad I got to help. I collected the phone - it's for my mum - basic phone but seems good. Hope it gets android Pie. Camera seems very good for money. It also came unlocked.

5 Star review from Expert Reviews website

The best budget phone for £100
    https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/vodafone/1408944/vodafone-smart-x9-review-the-best-budget-phone-for-100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

You don't even need the top up, also you can order a free sim
    When I try to order a free sim, Eir ask for a number. I dont want to switch. Do I just make up a number?

kaltz wrote: »
    .....Do I just make up a number?

Yes. That's what I did. Doesn't appear on the SIM you get. I must be well into double digits on free Meteor/Eir SIM cards solely for VF discounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I collected this phone today. It is unlocked. Definitely a great phone and the battery seems to hold up very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

Anyone a suggestion for a good cover non flip just silicon or hard plastic for this phone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Received this morning and confirm that its unlocked. Thanks OP seems like a decent phone for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭kaymin

pissed wrote: »
    Received this morning and confirm that its unlocked. Thanks OP seems like a decent phone for the money.

I can make phone calls with my new provider (not Vodafone) using this phone but can't access my mobile data allowance. When I try to change the APN which would allow me access to data I get this message:

Access Point Name settings are not available for this user

Anyone else have this problem? Looks like an unlocking code is needed afterall?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭TetraSonic55

kaymin wrote: »
    I can make phone calls with my new provider (not Vodafone) using this phone but can't access my mobile data allowance. When I try to change the APN which would allow me access to data I get this message:

Which network are you with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

I am with 48months and had to manually input their standard settings. Also had to enable data roaming. Working fine.

Which network are you with?

I'm with Tesco Mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

I collected this phone today. It is unlocked. Definitely a great phone and the battery seems to hold up very well.
    Did they make you top up the phone and did you port a eir free sim

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭bonjurkes

Collected the phone today from vodafone store, didnt had any problems with my 3 sim card. I used eir free sim card to port over vodafone website

pissed wrote: »
    I am with 48months and had to manually input their standard settings. Also had to enable data roaming. Working fine.

Tesco helpdesk gave me the manual settings to input but the phone won't allow me to change the APNs - see screenshot attached. I presume it was the APN settings that you manually input?

Btw - data roaming and mobile data are switched on.

• Advertisement

Tesco helpdesk gave me the manual settings to input but the phone won't allow me to change the APNs - see screenshot attached. I presume it was the APN settings that you manually input?

try clicking + sign at top right and add the given addresses. seems like there is no APN at your phone right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

As said, need to add the APN.

The fields needed are...
    'APN name' Tesco
    'APN' Tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com

MCC* field should be 272
    MNC* field should be 11

*These should be filled in automatically.

Mobile Data might needed to be toggled off and on to get it working

bonjurkes wrote: »
    try clicking + sign at top right and add the given addresses. seems like there is no APN at your phone right now
    Ten Pin wrote: »
    As said, need to add the APN.

The fields needed are...
    'APN name' Tesco
    'APN' Tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com

MCC* field should be 272
    MNC* field should be 11

*These should be filled in automatically.

Mobile Data might needed to be toggled off and on to get it working

Perfect - it's working now. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Marpenl

fdevine wrote: »
    Yes. That's what I did. Doesn't appear on the SIM you get. I must be well into double digits on free Meteor/Eir SIM cards solely for VF discounts.

I have tried to do this but it wants to send a verification text to the number I am inputting. Is there any way around this please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

Be warned. The screen on this easily breaks. One I purchased feel out of a back pocket and the screen went to bits with glass falling off it. It was only 3 weeks old :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

bromley52 wrote: »
    Be warned. The screen on this easily breaks. One I purchased feel out of a back pocket and the screen went to bits with glass falling off it. It was only 3 weeks old :(

wouldnt have thought how old it was had any bearing on it been dropped/screen breaking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

godtabh wrote: »
    wouldnt have thought how old it was had any bearing on it been dropped/screen breaking

might have a bearing on the level of disappointment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭Jeff2

bromley52 wrote: »

I wouldn't keep a phone in my back pocket.

Sure my firm buttocks would push a €2 coin out of them. :)

Marpenl wrote: »
    I have tried to do this but it wants to send a verification text to the number I am inputting. Is there any way around this please?

He/she meant that the number that you give on eir's website (to get free prepay sim card) can be made up, they don't verify it.

So you either go to eir shop or visit eir's webpage to get a new sim card, give that number to vodafone's online store for porting your number (to get discount) then you verify that phone number and then order your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Marpenl

Thats great thanks. I will pop in to Eir and get a sim card so. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement