Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3GB/32GB Android box Amlogic S912 Octacore -€40

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 clemop

can you point me towards where you got the files for the Android TV 6 rom. i try and get everything rooted if at all possible.

thanks,

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s912/alfawise/firmware-roms-ac/632467-rom-alfawise-h96-pro-3-32-and-3-16-scv3a-atv-version-ddr3-only

You have to go into settings, SC settings and enable rooting.

wiz569 wrote: »
    If your selling it can I have first refusal m8?

I'm going to try a couple of more times this week to get debian dual booted onto it - just need the right dtb file. If I can't find it, I'll flog it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Arrived today, no customs, celebrations time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Can somebody try playing stuff off a usb drive and see if the custom rom can play it without issues through Kodi please?

I've wasted hours trying to get armbian booting on this box so I've given up.
    If anyone's interested it's now for sale for €40, currently running rooted Android TV but I can stick the stock rom back on if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭vectra

clemop wrote: »
    If anyone's interested it's now for sale for €40, currently running rooted Android TV but I can stick the stock rom back on if required.
    40 posted?
    First dibs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Second
    Will take also

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

dodzy wrote: »
    Has the dual-band wifi and all the other stuff. Great price for a great unit. Have received a few '3 giggers' recently and they are very quick. Anyone with the old '1 gigger' could do a lot worse than treat themselves to an upgrade :)

CPU: Amlogic S912 Octa core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU up to 2GHz (DVFS)
    GPU: 750MHz+ ARM Mali-820MP3 GPU processor
    RAM: 3GB DDR3
    ROM: 32GB EMMC Flash
    Ethernet: 100M/1000M
    WIFI: 2.4GHZ/5.8GHZ 802.11a/b/g/n /ac
    Bluetooth: BT4.1
    Video Codecs: VP9-10 Profile-2 up to 4Kx2K@60fps, H.265 HEVC MP-10@L5.1 up to 4Kx2K@60fps

Obviously you are potentially exposed to the 'Customs Cull' but you'd be unfortunate to get nabbed.

https://www.banggood.com/H96-PRO-PLUS-Amlogic-S912-Octa-Core-3GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-TV-Box-p-1100082.html?utm_source=tradetracker&utm_medium=tradetracker_fr&utm_content=15981&utm_campaign=171762

(Go on Vic, you'll need something to go with the keyboards anyway) :P

Sorry not trying to be police here but isnt this an affiliate link through ShareASale? Thought they're banned on boards. Has rules changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 biscut

If anyone is selling their's I will gladly buy it from them.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    Sorry not trying to be police here but isnt this an affiliate link through ShareASale? Thought they're banned on boards. Has rules changed?
    No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

My experience with cheapo Android Sticks/Boxes has been crap so far.
    They all worked great at the start, but then started acting up in a few months.
    Waste of money in my opinion.

I've dished out for the original Shield TV a year ago and it does everything perfect and the support Nvidia is showing regarding software updates is exceptional.

Only downside I would give it is that it should more internal storage than 16GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Pivot Eoin wrote: »

It was only banned until Boards themselves started doing it, it's their link.

Everyone else is still banned.

The ironing at the time was 11 on the dial, not 10, all the way up to 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

hi
    Has anyone any advice re:remotes for this box as mine is playing up. The tv power button flashes repeatedly when i go to switch on the box with the main power button. Pain in the :mad:
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

hi
    Has anyone any advice re:remotes for this box as mine is playing up. The tv power button flashes repeatedly when i go to switch on the box with the main power button. Pain in the :mad:
    Thanks

https://m.gearbest.com/mice-keyboards/pp_70916.html

Got this a few years ago for an old mk808b box and still going strong... Can probably get it cheaper on other sites

Actually, on that note http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057785067/1/#post104621860

• Advertisement

sold to wiz569 who called it 2 days before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

My experience with cheapo Android Sticks/Boxes has been crap so far.
    They all worked great at the start, but then started acting up in a few months.
    Waste of money in my opinion.

I've dished out for the original Shield TV a year ago and it does everything perfect and the support Nvidia is showing regarding software updates is exceptional.

Only downside I would give it is that it should more internal storage than 16GB.
    Just add external storage,dont find the 16gb a problem and certainly not worth the extra to go for a 500gb box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

sold to wiz569 who called it 2 days before

Nice to meet you today m8 and thanks again :)

My one arrived today.
    It is pretty fast compared to my mx3 I have.
    Also
    Not sure if it is an illusion but picture quality appears to be better as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

doylefe wrote:
    So looking at this Android TV box...

Good advice on the shield.

I messed around with Media PCs for ages,over them . I eventually built a silent one, needed a family for 8GB files at the time. 11 to 22 Watts

Anyway had a pile of Android boxes.

They also require work but not as much.

My last ones were mini neos etc and I settled on 4K Amazon Fire TV (not stick) boxes.

They were great, a bit more limited but very well built, lovely PSU and control etc

Changed TV's recently and I have a Sony 4K Android TV. I love it.

One control. It controls my amp too. Netflix button, kodi YouTube most of my Android TV apps.

It's not the same freedom as these boxes or even the shield ( shield is good with harmony)
    But I can't explain how good it is to have one reliable remote control ( voice control built in)
    Worth considering if you are switching TVs

I'd still get one of theses for a second tv. It's a good special 3gb of ram is nice

But of you share a tv with less tech people, things like shield, Amazon TV and Android TVs are good

Stoner wrote: »
    doylefe wrote:

I messed around with Media PCs for ages,over them . I eventually built a silent one, needed a family for 8GB files at the time. 11 to 22 Watts

My last ones were mini neos etc and I settled on 4K Amazon Fire TV (not stick) boxes.

They were great, a bit more limited but very well built, lovely PSU and control etc

One control. It controls my amp too. Netflix button, kodi YouTube most of my Android TV apps.

It's not the same freedom as these boxes or even the shield ( shield is good with harmony)
    But I can't explain how good it is to have one reliable remote control ( voice control built in)

I'd still get one of theses for a second tv. It's a good special 3gb of ram is nice

But of you share a tv with less tech people, things like shield, Amazon TV and Android TVs are good

CEC was a revelation to me. I knew the TV had something called simplink but didn't pay attention to it. Then one day I was in Kodi and used the TV remote by mistake. Imagine my delight when it worked with the TV remote. Suddenly the media box was wife proof!

doylefe wrote:

CEC was a revelation to me. I knew the TV had something called simplink but didn't pay attention to it. Then one day I was in Kodi and used the TV remote by mistake. Imagine my delight when it worked with the TV remote. Suddenly the media box was wife proof!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

From what I read a Bravia with Android TV doesn't support refresh rate switching to match framerate. Most people might have "motionflow" turned on (it's on by default for some reason) so might not be an issue for most.

Might stick with a HTPC until Android TV and the hardware matures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Frank11

Mine has a problem, every so often the screen blinks and has a green tint from it, then blue. I've been onto banggood and they sent me instruction to update firmware. The instructions didn't work so I'm waiting on a reply from them.
    Anybody else experiencing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

yabadabado wrote: »
    Just add external storage,dont find the 16gb a problem and certainly not worth the extra to go for a 500gb box.

If you use plex server, plex server size can go well above 16GB.
    Can't move plex server to secondary storage. Movie/TV thumbnails add up over time and 16GB is not enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

Frank11 wrote: »
    Mine has a problem, every so often the screen blinks and has a green tint from it, then blue. I've been onto banggood and they sent me instruction to update firmware. The instructions didn't work so I'm waiting on a reply from them.

On my H96 pro + with 7.1.2 android I'm having a problem with a green tint too. There is a strong green tint that appears on all persons lips which is ruining streamed content and web pages. The satellite reception on TV is fine. I might have to send it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

My tracking has updated to bpost has received your registered letter and will pass it to your postman to be delivered.

Does this mean it's in Ireland?

Bit worried about this green tinting. Have many of you experienced this?

I got mine from Bang good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Frank11 wrote: »

The pink green problem is a common fault with Phillips and Sony TV's. Do you own one of these. Not usually a fault of box. Some boxes, MINix being one, usually build in a rgb workaround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Go for it's bigger brother for extra couple euro.
    It
    Has better 3rd party firmware support. Go to freaktab forum for ATV firmware that gives this box support for Netflix HD. 4k YouTube and more. MECOOL M8S Pro+ TV Box the 905x version, 33 euro
    m.banggood.com/Mecool-M8S-PRO-PLUS-Amlogic-S905X-2GB-RAM-16GB-ROM-TV-Box-Support-4K-Netflix-Youtube-p-1164115.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

Don Imac2 wrote: »
    On my H96 pro + with 7.1.2 android I'm having a problem with a green tint too. There is a strong green tint that appears on all persons lips which is ruining streamed content and web pages. The satellite reception on TV is fine. I might have to send it back.

Update: I used the H96 pro + on another TV and it worked fine. Then I did a factory re-set on my own TV and now all looks well again. If anyone is having problems with this do check the box out with another tv before doing anything mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭PenguinMan

Don Imac2 wrote: »
    Update: I used the H96 pro + on another TV and it worked fine. Then I did a factory re-set on my own TV and now all looks well again. If anyone is having problems with this do check the box out with another tv before doing anything mad.

There's a display setting you can change to fix this. I can't check exactly where it is, but from memory it's settings, display, resolution, other, and choose RGB10.

Folks
    Are any of you using a IPTV app on this box?
    Which ones work ,perfect player,stb emu ?
    BTW im not asking for providers just the app's

yabadabado wrote: »
    Folks
    Are any of you using a IPTV app on this box?
    Which ones work ,perfect player,stb emu ?
    BTW im not asking for providers just the app's

I normally use Perfect Player but for some reason it keeps looping back every min or so on this box,works fine everywhere else though,

So I switched to IPTV Extreme and it seems fine now,Lazy IPTV also works but I dont like its layout,

I normally use Perfect Player but for some reason it keeps looping back every min or so on this box,works fine everywhere else though,

So I switched to IPTV Extreme and it seems fine now,Lazy IPTV also works but I dont like its layout,
    Cheers for the info.

Anyone try STB emulator?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Frank11

I have Philips TV, must try it on another as suggested. Cheers
    givecredit wrote: »
    The pink green problem is a common fault with Phillips and Sony TV's. Do you own one of these. Not usually a fault of box. Some boxes, MINix being one, usually build in a rgb workaround.

Perfect player working grand on my one

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

headnorth wrote: »
    I emailed customer service when I ordered and asked for the price of goods on the outer packing to be put at $20 USD. Reply said no bother so hopefully it won't get caught at customs in Dublin.

Got mine this morning , no extra fees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

headnorth wrote: »
    Got mine this morning , no extra fees

Who did you order with. Still waiting on mine from BangGood. Tracking number is dead since it left Belgium over a week ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

Banggood.

Ordered 9th Sep, was dispatched 17th Sep,tracked up to 24th Sep & then arrived this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Total long shot,by any chance does anyone know where I could get another power adapter for the h96 box that doesn't involve waiting weeks to come from China or would anyone here be selling one? Only reason I'm asking is a mates adapter stoped working yesterday (I think it was a power surge during the storm that fried it) and he asked me to look out for an adapter for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭crasy dash

If he is badly stuck a normal phone charger and one of these should do
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/USB-to-3-5mm-Power-Charger-Cable-Adapter-DC-5V-Supply-Charge-Connector-Jack-/252148986114?hash=item3ab5403102:g:tbkAAOSw9mFWM4pK

Cheaper options on ebay in the uk though
    Or if i remember rightly the Sky now tv boxes had a 5v supply as well thats the same if you knew someone who wasnt using one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Him and his missus are both iPhone users but will mention it to him about the phone chargers and the link you put up.

I messaged the guy in Lucan who sells all the android boxes on adverts and it's 13 euros posted so that's another one I can pass onto him. Only problem is the h96 pro + adapter has an output of 5v 2500mA, the guy in Lucan has one that is 5v 2mA,would that still work ok??

• Registered Users Posts: 17 slaphead45

So turned box off last night and tonight I cannot get it to switch on. All I am getting is the red standby light. Have tried the supplied remote and air mouse but nothing will bring it back to life. I am on the firmware it came with as I was too chicken to upgrade it. Any advice would be welcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Invincible

slaphead45 wrote: »
    So turned box off last night and tonight I cannot get it to switch on. All I am getting is the red standby light. Have tried the supplied remote and air mouse but nothing will bring it back to life. I am on the firmware it came with as I was too chicken to upgrade it. Any advice would be welcome!

Plug it out of wall socket for a minute, plug in again, should restart, failing that, will need toothpick to factory reset.

• Advertisement

It won't switch on by remote you will need to unplug it and plug it back in again, if you have tried that already then you might need to flash by USB cable

Invincible wrote: »
    Plug it out of wall socket for a minute, plug in again, should restart, failing that, will need toothpick to factory reset.
    thanks. Have tried that but only change is red light flashes for about 5 seconds before going to solid red again when I disconnect and reconnect power.

It won't switch on by remote you will need to unplug it and plug it back in again, if you have tried that already then you might need to flash by USB cable
    sorry to sound completely ignorant but how is this done?

sorry to sound completely ignorant but how is this done?

You need to use amlogic USB burning tool and connect it to your PC with a USB A to USB A cable,

Run the USB tool,
    Load the image for the box from the file menu,leave the default settings except change one option from normal erase to erase all,press start,
    Then connect just the USB A cable to the USB port closest to the rear of the box and then connect the other end to your PC,

It should then recognise the box and start burning the image to the box ,

That's all of the top of my head but I'm almost certain its correct .

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭lepoatnam

My H96+ Pro arrived from Gearbest this morning, shipped on the 24th September. Irish tracking number was not traceable until yesterday when it was in Postlaoise mail centre. No customs to pay either so win-win all round.

• Advertisement
Advertisement