Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FYI WARNING - Sky 12 month BB deal contract ending

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,301 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Claregirl wrote: »
    Can I just check if the €27.50 quoted for broadband only?
    Its for the broadband, line rental and the talk anytime pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

muffler wrote: »
    I rang up last week as my bb/call contract is coming to an end on Feb 4. I just said to the guy I was ringing to cancel but if there was a decent offer I would stay. So he has put me on the the same pack as I was on for €27.50 for the next 6 months - thats the broadband with talk anytime or whatever its called.

Im more than happy with that as the next best I was going to get was Vodafone and that was going to cost €47 a month I think.

A family relation also rang there on Saturday and got the same offer.

I got this as well. even at the basic undiscounted rate. 40e for 12 months = 480 annum

eircoms nearest package is 35 for 6 and 50 for 6 months = 510 per annum.

but now 27.50 for first 6 months is even bigger no brainer.

I rang eircom and asked could they match but said they thought their 35e a month deal was good value. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Don't know how that is happening seeing as they use the same line into your house.

I was getting good speeds from sky at the beginning (I was one of the first to get on the deal) but towards the end of the contract, it became extremely slow, and extremely unstable, especially at certain times of the evening.

Eircom map showing my area scheduled to be upgraded to fibre at the end of this month (if you can believe them) but vf assured me when this happens they'll upgrade me at no extra cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Was due to go up to €40 and got €25 for 6 months. The sky rep wouldn't do half price. Still it's a better deal than I would have got anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Was on to them today and asked about efibre. I was quickly corrected & was told it would be Skyfibre:D. Asked when it would be launched and was told best estimate is April/May. Sky staff are currently trialling the service. Also told that existing Sky customers will get the best offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Was on to them today and asked about efibre. I was quickly corrected & was told it would be Skyfibre:D. Asked when it would be launched and was told best estimate is April/May. Sky staff are currently trialling the service. Also told that existing Sky customers will get the best offers.

Prob be upgraded to Skyfibre for free if you extend contract by 12/18months depending on their terms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

My contract ends in April and I wasn't on the trial. Think it would be worth it ringing and threatening to cancel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

So whenever Eircom upgrade your local exchange, Sky/ Vodafone etc will be able to offer fibre too wholesale? It won't just be for Eircom customers?

We got a flyer today offering Vodafone for 3 months free and then €35 a month without calls which we rarely use. So that is a total of €315 for Vodafone which is cheaper than Sky even with the six months reduced offer.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That Vodafone contract is for 18 months which makes it a bit less desirable to me. When people are ringing up Sky and are being offered the reduced 6 month rate is that for 12 or 18 month contracts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

rang sky to get this half price for 6 months

the guy couldnt do it for me because my trial offer of 10e per month was active till jan 24th...????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 ks44

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That Vodafone contract is for 18 months which makes it a bit less desirable to me. When people are ringing up Sky and are being offered the reduced 6 month rate is that for 12 or 18 month contracts?

You are not under any new contract with this offer

ks44 wrote: »
    You are not under any new contract with this offer
    Agreed :)

My contract ends in April and I wasn't on the trial. Think it would be worth it ringing and threatening to cancel?
    Are you in a contract? If so it would be pointless in ringing now. If not it will cost nothing to ring them and say you are thinking of leaving.

Just tried ringing Sky but was on hold for 12 minutes so I sent them an email saying I will leave unless they offer me the same rate.

Just tried ringing Sky but was on hold for 12 minutes so I sent them an email saying I will leave unless they offer me the same rate.
    With that attitude I would offer you nothing if I worked for Sky.

No harm meant now but its nice to ask rather than demand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

So whenever Eircom upgrade your local exchange, Sky/ Vodafone etc will be able to offer fibre too wholesale? It won't just be for Eircom customers?

Sky aren't offering fibre yet even on enabled exchanges.

Eh what? I didn't demand anything.

I pointed out to Sky that their current package costs €47.50 whereas Vodafone are offering fibre for €35 a month with the first three months free. There were no demands made, I simply pointed out that it didn't make sense to stay with them but I would consider it if they offered me the reduced rate.

Should I have said pretty please Mr. Murdoch?

so I sent them an email saying I will leave unless they offer me the same rate.

Eh what? I didn't demand anything.
    Apologies, "demand" was probably a poor choice of word on my part.

"Ultimatum" is the word I should have used.

Apologies, "demand" was probably a poor choice of word on my part.

"Ultimatum" is the word I should have used.

I'd also counter that ultimatum is harsh too... Remember there is a difference between a quick post on a message board describing a message and the message itself.

My email to sky was perfectly pleasant and courteous but the fact remains that no matter how it is dressed up, I'm basically saying the same thing. Namely that if they can't offer me a deal I will move to Vodafone. There are only so many ways you can say that but I certainly wasn't rude or ill mannered about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

I got the bb last month for half price. New customer. Mobile calls are costly with sky. I would go back with Vodafone. At least mobile calls where free with Vodafone to Vodafone.

Brother works with sky and wanted us to join up. I well be telling people to stay away from sky bb and landline.

Vodafone much cheaper. Now they do unlimited bb too which is a plus

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »
    At least mobile calls where free with Vodafone to Vodafone.
    Im not sure I follow. Do you mean calls to Vodafone mobiles were free from your Vodafone land line?

I got the bb last month for half price. New customer. Mobile calls are costly with sky. I would go back with Vodafone. At least mobile calls where free with Vodafone to Vodafone.

Brother works with sky and wanted us to join up. I well be telling people to stay away from sky bb and landline.

Vodafone much cheaper. Now they do unlimited bb too which is a plus

You could try waiting till May, when they may have their fibre service on stream.

Im not sure I follow. Do you mean calls to Vodafone mobiles were free from your Vodafone land line?

Ringing a vodafone mobile from vodafone landline was free,

You could try waiting till May, when they may have their fibre service on stream.

Won't be my area till 2016

adox wrote: »
    Sky aren't offering fibre yet even on enabled exchanges.

They are getting their staff to trial the service. I expect that their lines will be connected in double-quick time when Sky ask Eircom to jump.

Ringing a vodafone mobile from vodafone landline was free,
    I was with Vodafone for about 4 years up till about 11 months ago and didnt have that nor do they offer it today in any of their packs. They used to have something like 60 free minutes to VF mobiles and I see its now 100 free minutes to any mobile network but I have never seen unlimited free calls to VF mobiles.

I think you are mistaken or read the T & C's incorrectly.

I was with Vodafone for about 4 years up till about 11 months ago and didnt have that nor do they offer it today in any of their packs. They used to have something like 60 free minutes to VF mobiles and I see its now 100 free minutes to any mobile network but I have never seen unlimited free calls to VF mobiles.

I think you are mistaken or read the T & C's incorrectly.

I don't think I'm mistaken but I could be wrong. I would still tell people to stay away from sky bb

They are getting their staff to trial the service. I expect that their lines will be connected in double-quick time when Sky ask Eircom to jump.

Where did you get this info?

Where did you get this info?

See post 66 on page 5.

• Advertisement

I don't think I'm mistaken but I could be wrong.
    :D

Nice one!

Advertisement