Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

141 730d

Options
  • 14-10-2019 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭

I’ve been looking for an upgrade from a 14 Passat and have seen a 141 730d that I’m interested in .60miles , FSH , all the toys etc.
    Bit concerned that I’ll lose a fortune on it over next couple of years and also would it be getting to an age of high maintenance?
    Any advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

The person who lost the fortune was the person who bought it new. At nearly 6 years old, you're somewhat insulated from depreciation.

What price?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Muppet Man wrote: »
    The person who lost the fortune was the person who bought it new. At nearly 6 years old, you're somewhat insulated from depreciation.

What price?

Oh it still has the ability to drop in value like a stone.
    The issue I see with that type of car at that age is that it is still worth a lot of money but at 10 years old It will be have a very low value so lots of money to be lost over 4 years as an example.
    Add in a few expensive issues and it quickly becomes an expensive purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

scwazrh wrote: »
    I’ve been looking for an upgrade from a 14 Passat and have seen a 141 730d that I’m interested in .60miles , FSH , all the toys etc.
    Bit concerned that I’ll lose a fortune on it over next couple of years and also would it be getting to an age of high maintenance?
    Any advice ?

You are correct, they are expensive to maintain, and even though the heavy depreciating is done, it’s still an expensive car that has a long way to fall.

Now that’s out of the way, you need to figure out if:
    you can afford it
    you can justify it
    you actually want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭scwazrh

€28k

€28k

Madness even though it would be a lovely car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I briefly flirted with the idea of moving up to a 7 series about 141 as well, from my e60 5 series but just found it too big and apart from size not a huge step up from a well specced 5 series.
    Got a 530d in the end, happy with it. 5 series, although they are everywhere now and not at all exclusive, will also be a nice step up from your passat. As would an a6 or an e class if you can push to 2016 for the merc.

mickdw wrote: »
    Madness even though it would be a lovely car.

I thought it seemed a high price at first but looking online it seems to be average price for them

I thought it seemed a high price at first but looking online it seems to be average price for them

Ya but it's just too much money for an older car.
    That will cost more than a new passat or similar in depreciation and you still have higher running costs plus repairs plus difficulty selling in future and being insulted with trade in prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

With some determined negotiations, 28k will get you a nearly new 191 passat. I know it's a standard car v a luxury one. But 5 years newer with 2.5 years manufacturers warranty.

Passat will have more modern tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are a nice car to be in and drive but just remember that it's still a 70k/80k to fix if something major goes wrong. Even things like tyres and servicing will be substantially more expensive than what you are used to with a Passat. 28k is strong money for a 2014, you'd buy a similar year 640d Gran Coupe for around the same money.

• Advertisement

rn wrote: »
    With some determined negotiations, 28k will get you a nearly new 191 passat. I know it's a standard car v a luxury one. But 5 years newer with 2.5 years manufacturers warranty.

Passat will have more modern tech.

I get what your saying about a passat but it’s not really comparing like for like . I could get Dacia brand new and save €15k but it’s not the same .

bazz26 wrote: »
    They are a nice car to be in and drive but just remember that it's still a 70k/80k to fix if something major goes wrong. Even things like tyres and servicing will be substantially more expensive than what you are used to with a Passat. 28k is strong money for a 2014, you'd buy a similar year 640d Gran Coupe for around the same money.

Would a 640d be a better buy?

I understand maintenance is more expensive but I only keep cars for a year to 18 months so regular maintenance is not a major concern , its the possibility of surprise problems that would be an issue? Is there anything to watch out for expect to be an issue at that age ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A 640d will be no cheaper than a 730d to run or own but a 640d might retain a little bit more of its resale value due to it being a more desirable car. But if you are only keeping the car for a year then you can still expect to lose a fair amount of money in depreciation even in that short period of time on both cars. These cars suffer horrendous depreciation, they cost upwards of 70k or 80k when new and so still have plenty of way to fall in value as they get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Would it sell for €20k in 18 months time? Depends OP, if it's something you're prepared to take a hit on as a one off go for it, but if you're looking to trade into similar after that timeframe you might end up driving it into the ground.

Would it sell for €20k in 18 months time? Depends OP, if it's something you're prepared to take a hit on as a one off go for it, but if you're looking to trade into similar after that timeframe you might end up driving it into the ground.

I think so , 2013 are advertised at €18-€20k but hard to know what they are actually selling for .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The boot is bigger in a 530d and I'd say it a lot easier move when it's time to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

Difficult to predict the future price of a large diesel. If the anti diesel onslaught continues. On the positive side, a hard brexit might bring a bounce in prices in 12 months time.

Also there's the advertised price and selling price. For bigger cars, there's a smaller market with longer selling times. And if you are selling privately in 12 months time, stuff above 10k is really garage market IMHO. Because most people need finance when purchasing above 10k, giving garages an edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Squatman

I understand maintenance is more expensive but I only keep cars for a year to 18 months so regular maintenance is not a major concern , its the possibility of surprise problems that would be an issue? Is there anything to watch out for expect to be an issue at that age ?

If you are looking for a car thats not going to have surprisr failures, then look away from BMW. Turbos, swirl flaps, injectors and timing chains. Oh and water pump bearings. Dont buy a bmw unless you can afford to buy 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The large car market is predominantly diesel, taking figures from January 2018 to today,

S Class 91% diesel
    7 series 81% diesel
    Audi A8 100% diesel

A supposed sway against diesel isn’t going to change the fact that the people that want these cars will still want them, and there just aren’t petrol ones out there.

Nobody wants Lexus LS’s.

rn wrote: »
    Difficult to predict the future price of a large diesel. If the anti diesel onslaught continues.

There's no anti diesel onslaught. Diesel is still the only option for a lot of people and new EV sales are down 25% mom. What we have is people not picking diesel as a city run around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Any advice ?

Is it the car for sale at the Leinster motor group?

The one for 10k less is a nicer car, granted it's not an msport but seems to have better options.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Is it the car for sale at the Leinster motor group?

That’s the one

That’s the one

Don't pay 10k more for an msport if there's a comfort one for 18k

Don't pay 10k more for an msport if there's a comfort one for 18k

Where did you see one for €18k

Where did you see one for €18k

There's only two 141's for sale.

I'd swear it was cheaper the last time I looked https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-730-ld/22238612

There's only two 141's for sale.

I'd swear it was cheaper the last time I looked https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-730-ld/22238612

I did see that but it’s lwb , I’d feel like a chauffeur driving it

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

The F01 730D (LCI) has self levelling suspension in the rear which can cause problems over 50k apparently. If these shocks go its €1200 per corner, and both need done at the same time, or so I've been told.

Other than that there's the timing chain, but its not meant to be as much a problem in the N57 engine.

Also, there more toys there is, the more there is to go wrong.

From a depreciation point of view, I'd never buy one thinking I'll get good money back after keeping it for a year or so. You buy it to enjoy it, pay the running and servicing costs, and if you get something back out the other side then great.

...but if you want to experience luxury on a 'budget' go for it, the F01 shares the same chassis as the Rolls Royce Ghost.

BTW. I test drove the car you are referring to yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

This is a very much a heart V head. You'll loose about €5K a year in deprecation and it will be a hard sell in few years time. An F10 would be more sensible, desirable and there is not that much between them, but will also shed money fast. The 7 are complex cars and when things start going wrong they can be ruinous, at that age you could be looking a turbos, gearbox, all the scary stuff.

Watch Hoovies Garage on youtube to see what old BMW's will do to your bank balance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Squatman wrote: »
    If you are looking for a car thats not going to have surprisr failures, then look away from BMW. Turbos, swirl flaps, injectors and timing chains. Oh and water pump bearings. Dont buy a bmw unless you can afford to buy 2.

This refers more to a BMW diesel engine though right? I have been running an E60 with a six cylinder petrol for years now and it never gives any trouble.

...I have never run a BMW diesel though.

Advertisement