Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding dress fail

• 20-09-2019 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

I bought my wedding dress almost 2 years ago and was supposed to get married last year. I got pregnant (accidentally) and we postponed the wedding to exactly a year later - next month.

So I have a dress that looked great before I got pregnant but my body has obviously changed now and the dress is a bit unflattering. Have just picked it up today after all the alterations have been completed and I am feeling really uneasy about wearing it at my wedding.

I'm fairly body conscious anyway and the thoughts of wearing an unflattering dress and being laughed at by guests is really worrying me. It's not even a matter of losing the baby weight - I'm back to my original weight - I just have a different body shape. My sister and friend say it looks great but I notice that my hips look very wide anf I have a bit of a tummy.

Should I just buy a new dress? It's a month before my wedding so it will have to be off the rack. I've spent so much money on this dress and I love it but I don't want to look ridiculous. But then another part of me thinks that I'm not going to look good regardless so just stick to the lovely dress. Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh that’s such a tough decision. First things first, not a single person will be laughing at you! I’ve seen lots of brides in dresses I didn’t think did anything for them, but the main things you’ll always notice is how happy they look.

Is there anything else you can do to make yourself happy with the current dress? Spanx for your tummy, that kind of thing? You mention your hips so I’m assuming it’s more of a fitted dress?

You certainly could get something off the rack, but do you have the money? And more importantly, do you have the mental capacity for the level of stress that will come with it?

Can you get a hair and make up trial and try on your dress with everything done? That makes a huge difference to the final event. You could also add some accessories that will smooth the silhouette, like a wide chapel or cathedral length veil that can come over your arms a bit, or even add a cape - they’re very modern and popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Great advice from Faith. Of course the guests won't laugh at you! It sounds like you're being very hard on yourself though so I would get a supportive friend or sister to come along with you and help you choose accessories etc. Someone who will be honest but kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

Thanks guys.

Yous are probably right. I will try it on again with pull in knickers and without my critical hat on.

I can't afford a new dress, I don't want to go through the stress of buying a new one either, and the people coming aren't looking to pick me and my dress apart.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Good choice. There are lots of minor alterations you can make that are likely to help. If your hips are wider, it makes your waist look smaller, so something like a belt could draw the eye to the waist more than the hips. Little detachable sleeves balance the shoulders which balances the figure too.

What shape is the dress?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

It's a sheath style. It already has detail to the waist and little capped sleeves so it's as balanced out as it can get really.

• Advertisement

Everyone at your wedding will think you look gorgeous. I'm sure you see every slight difference in shape since you bought the dress but they're probably not even noticeable to anyone else. Get the right underwear and it'll make you more confident about wearing it. Have a lovely day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Your dress sounds lovely.

NO ONE will be laughing, they will be - as Faith pointed out - looking at you and your husband and how happy you both look, and looking at the baby!!!!

Also, well done on getting back to your old weight and dress size, of course your body has changed but you were the first home for your little one and it's pretty flippin impressive that you are able to put on the original dress and go and celebrate the day as previously planned. Go and enjoy it and don't worry about what people think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd recommend getting a corset. Honestly. Far better than the pull in knickers, properly fitted they are very comfortable and supportive for dresses like this. I got one for my wedding, and honestly, ten years and a couple for kids later I am still wearing them for dresses that are fitted at the waist.
    Go to a proper lingerie shop and they will sort you out with the right size.

I'd advise not one with the bra included in it, get one that fits under the bra.
    Boned Underbust type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Not sure where you are based but there's supposed to be a very good lingerie shop in Dublin that do great supportive underwear and bridal pieces - someone here might be able to help out with a name and location.

Otherwise, you could try to detract from the area you are conscious of with perhaps a head piece or veil, could something be added to the neckline or an eye catching neck piece.

But also, please don't be harsh on yourself. Your guests know you've had a baby, no one is going to be judging your figure in the wedding dress. I can tell you the first thing people notice about a bride is the smile on her face!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Not sure where you are based but there's supposed to be a very good lingerie shop in Dublin that do great supportive underwear and bridal pieces - someone here might be able to help out with a name and location.

Susan Hunter lingerie maybe? It's a tiny little shop in the Westbury Mall off Grafton St. I got a corset there for under my dress and it's incredible, I want to wear it under everything now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement