Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Family car

• 14-08-2019 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys
    I'm looking to spend about 10-14 grand on a new car for the family,
    Just wondering what you lads would recommended as I really not a big car person ,

I'd need for 2 car seats in the pack and boot space for 2 buggies ,
    We regularly do two 4 hour round trips down to the Shannon or cork on the weekends so room for bags and buggies and stuff is a must,

So far iv looked as Superbs, Octavia's , Avensis, Insignia , Qashqai even a Vovlo s40,

just wondering what you guys would recommend

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Don't touch an insignia, well reported problems. Have you considered an estate? The superb is a fantastic car. Also consider a mondeo estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Don't touch an insignia, well reported problems. Have you considered an estate? The superb is a fantastic car. Also consider a mondeo estate.

Yep I heard all about the engine issues with the Insignia but I believe the new models aren't effected anything form 14 up ? Is that true ?

ye of course a estate wouldn't be an issues ,i must have a look at the Mondeo's its one i haven't really had a look at in person yet ,

I’d only be considering estates if I was you op, once you have one you wonder how you ever managed without one. Superb estate should probably be top of the list too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What about a qashqai 2014 are they decent family cars ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

Why don't you look at 7 seaters like the Citroen Grand Picasso, Kia Carens or VW Touran ?

These are proper family cars unlike the "trendy" Qashqai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭selectamatic

What about a qashqai 2014 are they decent family cars ?

I'd imagine the boot would be a bit too small for 2 buggies in the qashqai.

Superb estate would be my vote also.

Maybe a 151 high spec avensis estate with the last of the 2.0d4d Toyota engines could be an option either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You really need a decent sized estate for 2 buggies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

First off get 10-14 grand out of your head
    Spending that sort of money doesnt necessarily get you reliability. If anything you end up risking more if something serious developed. garage guarantees are usually 6mth or 1 yr only and mostly its engine and gearbox only covered.

The previous posters were right, you will need an estate or a family type 7 seater...mondeo or skoda are good choices because there very common models...common generally gets u cheaper repair parts reconditioned etc.
    qashqai havent got the space and ive heard reliability issues with them, avoid luxury brands like audi etc..that means extra €€€ for any work.

Go with estates mentioned..i cant emphasize this enough...bring a mechanic with you, make sure the milage is genuine upon buying also..good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Look at a peugeot 508sw comfort and size is great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Two kids and two Child seats so a bit of height might be nice

The Qashqai has a small boot but if you go Qashqai+2 you get the bigger boot and just don’t flip up the back seats then your sorted. Any of other crossover have too small a boot

Touran of course good option as well.....probably the best of the MPV market

Are you planning on having more kids?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV?

Low tax, acres of room, low cost to run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Just a suggestion but.... Pick a normal car, one which you find comfortable - don't go with an SUV, they don't have any extra space.

An estate or even a salloon car... Then add a roof box for extra storage.

Having two buggies is an absolute pain, we have a double buggy for twins but getting rid soon, kids are 3.5yrs ... Do you plan on needing all the extra space for two buggies in a year or two... With a roof box, you can take it off if you don't need the space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Pick a normal car...
    SUV are Not Economical compared to a standard height car even the plug ins like for like aren't great. They offer no more space.
    Handling isnt comparable to a standard car eighter
    Suv are originally for off road, so if your on road why bother?
    The only advantage i can see is if the cars parked on grass it'll rust less at the wheel arches or if you fancy doing the odd mechanical fix crawling underneath you get more space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've a superb estate 6 months after upgrading from an Octavia estate. Have 2 kids.

Get a superb. I Got a 151 with leather heated seats and some nice extras for 15k .1 owner,12 month warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Octavia or better a Superb estate.

The likes of the Quasqui are too small.

Someone mentioned a C4 Grand Picasso, we had one here for a few years. Massively comfortable car with bags of room. If your doing much mileage they are plagued with niggly stuff needing repairs. They are cheap to buy, but I feel you spend the savings on repairs.

If your using child seats in the rear for a while yet I’d suggest an suv, stopping down into a salon car with a wriggling kid into a seat can be hard.

We have a Ford Kuga which is great but not returning the sort of MPG that say an Octavia or Superb would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

_Brian wrote: »
    Octavia or better a Superb estate.

The likes of the Quasqui are too small.

Someone mentioned a C4 Grand Picasso, we had one here for a few years. Massively comfortable car with bags of room. If your doing much mileage they are plagued with niggly stuff needing repairs. They are cheap to buy, but I feel you spend the savings on repairs.

If your using child seats in the rear for a while yet I’d suggest an suv, stopping down into a salon car with a wriggling kid into a seat can be hard.

We have a Ford Kuga which is great but not returning the sort of MPG that say an Octavia or Superb would.

We have both a Kuga and superb. Cant beat the superb for space.
    No kids kicking the back of my seat is a plus. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Std octavia took a double out and about and a seperate pram system no issues. Estate gives easier access and a little extra space.

Superb is better still and a very solid reliable car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Most of the extra space in the Superb over the Octavia is rear seat legroom. If you and your children are all 7 feet tall, very useful.

Otherwise get a newer or better equipped Octavia for the same money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Family car, kids in the back. Long drives.....get yourself a little bit of comfort

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/audi/a6/fpa/201906199167684

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭nu_90

Got a Volvo v70 myself lately . Loving it so far. Swallowed the whole family ( of 4 ) + golden retriever + all camping gear twice this summer . Not a bother to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Ford C-Max 1.6 TDCI, perfect for 4, giant boot, try and get a grand titanium, sold my 11 a few years ago for 15k, was great for the buggies and kids (who still miss the sliding doors).

Advertisement