Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing japanese car

Options
  • 07-06-2018 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am planning on importing a Toyota Vitz (Yaris) from Japan. I know once the car comes into the country I have to pay customs fees and then VRT, Car Tax, and book NCT. I also read that I have to pay VAT on the car since it is coming from outside the EU. What is the VAT rate and what price is it based off? I am paying €1000 for the car. So is it whatever percentage of €1000 or do they value the car themselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's based on whatever value they think the car is currently worth here, doesn't make one bit of difference what you pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

I assume Vat is 23% of OMSP? You'll also have to pay shipping. Could be an expensive Yaris

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Check out insurance before you think about bringing in a JDM, it's getting difficult to find quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I hope its a high spec turbo model and not a regular little 1.0 model as there are plenty of them here already and VRT/duty paid and will most likely be cheaper than anything you could buy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Importing a Vitz can make sense if you specifically want an automatic or like the higher spec. As mentioned though there are plenty for sale here with the legwork done already. Be wary of insurance as they are looking for any excuse not to cover certain categories of car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I've recently been shopping for a Yaris for my mother, and I'd agree with what people are saying, unless there is something unique about the one you're importing I doubt it makes financial sense to import one directly yourself. Loads of these cars out there now, there'll be one available for your budget no matter what it is.

I was shopping in the budget area and got a really nice (so far!) Irish car with low miles for comfortably under a grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AustinMcI

Sound for the advice lads I think I'll just shop around here it sounds like it's cheaper that way

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What’s your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Just in case you do look at the Japanese route, firstly it's 10% Duty on the cost of the car plus agent fee and shipping, then add the 10% to that cost and calculate 23% VAT, that's your big costs aside from VRT.

Unless it's up in the years in comparison to what's available here it likely wont make financial sense. There's bargains still to be had out of Japan compared to Ireland but you need to do your research and costings first

• Registered Users Posts: 81,336 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When I last looked in to it there was a cost of around a grand to have it shipped from Japan in a container to Ireland, then on top of this there was a customs agent/handler (not sure on correct term, basically someone to handle charges to land container here) charge when it landed in Ireland, then VAT and VRT. Make sure you do your homework and have the car checked out before purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Customs agent clearance fee is €120, you also need to pay for the unloading of the car from the ship to the stevedore which is €90 or €130 depending on the shipping line used.

Shipping for the size of a yaris RoRo is about €690 at today's rates, container will set you back a minimum of €1100. Worth noting that at present no ships sail direct to Dublin, all cargo is transhipped from zeebruge/Rotterdam mainly and it's leading to delays.

The shipping lines only sail direct if they have the cargo to make it worthwhile, which I'm a bit surprised with lately as there's easily a couple of hundred cars landing on the tranships each month, but it's constantly reviewed and could change again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement