Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats your favourite DART?

• 12-08-2009 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

The average person wouldn't care as they would probably not notice any difference between them but some including drivers staff and commuters might in terms of reliability, maintenance, space, adaptability ventilation etc.

Link to Dart types to those that are not sure.

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Irish%20Railcars%20&%20DARTs/A&Bindex.html

Whats your favourite Dart? 33 votes

8100 Class
    0% 0 votes
    8200 Class
    72% 24 votes
    8500 Class (Lumpy roof)
    3% 1 vote
    8500 Class (Smooth roof)
    9% 3 votes
    Dublin Bus.
    15% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Copycat:D

8500 flat roof are my preferred Dart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Any time I see a DART other than an 8100 coming I curse as the chance of getting a seat is slim.

What happened to the 8 carriage 8100 trains? Are they coming back? Irish Rail have lengthened all the platforms and most DART'S are still 6 carriages long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Copycat:D
    :p

8500 flat roof are my preferred Dart
    Lumpy roofs are usually synonymous of tropical banana countries. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

One that doesn't block the path of a Maynooth train I'm on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Looks like quality German engineering winning out by a mile. My least favourite type are the ones with no cushions. If I had a Euro for every time I've thrown myself down on one of those seats and nearly fractured my bum! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the old darts by a mile. still the most comfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The 8520s, better seats and more leg room than the 8500s and 8510s plus they have air con. The 85xx series has the best ride quality overall. I don't know why the 8200s are on the list at all, they are so **** they have been out of service almost constantly for the past 3 years with problems.

Good old LHB 8100s for me. Can't beat the sound or smell of them, haha. Of the 8500s I prefer the 8520s, the ride quality is exceptional in them. Only ever been on an 8200 once, it's not as if I've had many opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The original ones. Far more spacious and comfortable than the newer crap. They still sound and smell just like they did in the '80s, when I was a kid, being brought into town two or three times a year, so there is a nostalgia factor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

LHB's definately. Love that whining sound as they pull off, reminds me of being a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I find the seats on the newer ones very uncomfortable. Love the older ones

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I personally do not find the outside profiles ( as shown on the linked photos) the most distinguishing feature of the various generations of DART carriages. My classification system would be:
    (A) the original carriages with comfortable bench seats and openable windows that nobody thinks of opening so they are too stuffy
    (B) the ones with those awful bucket seats with no proper padded upholstery and tilted forward slightly so a comfortable sitting position is impossible plus each seat tis too close to the seat opposite. These are the worst.
    (C) some variation on either A or B above which has air conditioning which you cannot rely on drivers to switch on properly
    (D) another variation on either A or b which has stupid electronic indicator board consisting of a row of red dots which is supposed to tell you where on the journey the train is but which, naturally, IE cannot manage to keep working properly.
    (E) the refurbished versions of the original which have slightly less comfortable upholstery on bench seats but proper opening windows which nobody bothers to open so they are too stuffy.

OT - If you were to couple up all the Dart carriages together, how long would they stretch?

OT - If you were to couple up all the Dart carriages together, how long would they stretch?
    That would look horrible :eek:

If you break them down into individual carriages would make it easier.

76 8100's
    20 8200's
    60 8500's

total 176 cars.

Length of each car. 20M

Total 176x20 = 3520 M :eek:

This would make a good fund raising prop. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

That would look horrible :eek:

If you break them down into individual carriages would make it easier.

76 8100's
    20 8200's
    60 8500's

total 176 cars.

Length of each car. 20M

Total 176x20 = 3520 M :eek:

This would make a good fund raising prop. :D

Suggest you are an extremely poor trainspotter, being that there are only 154 in total

Suggest you are an extremely poor trainspotter, being that there are only 154 in total

Link in first post confirms numbers, where have the other 22 gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/reply/32093/t/DARTWatch.html#reply-32093

( ( no_of_consists * units_per_consist) + no_of_individual_units ) * number_of_cars_per_unit
    ( (11 * 3) + 5 ) * 2 = 76 8100 cars
    ( (0 * 0) + 5) * 2 = 10 8200 cars
    ( (7 * 2) + 3) *4 = 68 8[5|6]00 cars

So, 68 + 10+ 76 = 54 cars * 20 metres = 3080 metres.
    QED.

Im hardly going to be able to spot the complete Dart fleet all at once :rolleyes:

Im hardly going to be able to spot the complete Dart fleet all at once :rolleyes:

You might if my string them altogether plan works;)

When you have them all coupled together, take the whole damn lot to that quarry up north where they bury asbestos contaminated carriages and you know the rest. Then maybe the Rosslare train can reach Dublin without being stuck behind the wretched things! :D

• Advertisement

Coupling them up together is impossible, the 8200's would be left behind. :D

Well send them to the WRC - I'm not fussy just clear them out of the way!

Well send them to the WRC - I'm not fussy just clear them out of the way!

They would make great push pulls. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The lads in Fairview should get the set back thats in Inchicore works, roll all the 8200s into the Tolka and claim the insurance. They had techies from Alstom in Spain, the company that made them, over here trying to help fix them and they can't.

The only times you see the 8200s move now is when a loco drags them to Inchicore for re paints or a 29k units drags them to Drogheda depot for the wheel lathe.

The final solution to the DART?

%27The_Stack%27_Vic_Berry%27s_03-10-1987.jpg

The lads in Fairview should get the set back thats in Inchicore works, roll all the 8200s into the Tolka and claim the insurance. They had techies from Alstom in Spain, the company that made them, over here trying to help fix them and they can't.

The only times you see the 8200s move now is when a loco drags them to Inchicore for re paints or a 29k units drags them to Drogheda depot for the wheel lathe.

Im surprised there is no votes in the poll for the 8200's series. You would expect maintenance to vote for them because they will keep them in full time employment for years to come. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

sdonn wrote: »
    LHB's definately. Love that whining sound as they pull off, reminds me of being a kid.

What he said!

The final solution to the DART?

%27The_Stack%27_Vic_Berry%27s_03-10-1987.jpg

:(

Could the not just stick a 141 in front and tow them around? :D

:(

Could the not just stick a 141 in front and tow them around? :D

http://www.railsceneireland.fotopic.net/p58396096.html

• Advertisement

Can't believe they have taken up my suggestion already - Is that a special for the quarry at Crumlin? :D

Advertisement