Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel car advice - A3 1.9 2010 or else?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Sounds like you've a tight budget and you want to get into a premium brand car.... This is always risky. All the ones you've linked are pretty well worn cars and wouldn't interest me personally.

For your budget you can get into a very fresh car which may not have the badge appeal of an Audi but will probably be a much better bet. You'll get a 2010/11 Ford focus with low mileage for that money, and indeed any other car in that class with the exception of a golf maybe.

You just don't know how much life is left in the parts on the likes of what you've linked, some of them are up closer to 300k kms. You could be lucky but doubtful you will have trouble free motoring.

An a3 is not really premium either, it's a small budget car to fill a niche from a premium manufacturer. In fact I was in an Audi garage last week and the new a3 doesn't even feel upmarket it really pales in comparison with its bigger brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Thanks Johnny, I really do not like the Ford Focus though, I have found it an ugly car from the start. The newest models look better, but out of my budget.

I might just stick with Toyota. Maybe a newer Yaris. Maybe just keep driving my 2004 Yaris.

I just want a newer car really, with a bit more comfort and luxury. 2010 car or something.

Decisions decisions !

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would t say a Focus would be more reliable than an A3, personally I think diesel Focuss of that era are to be avoided.
    If looking at a 9/10 year old car, I wouldn’t be paying a premium to a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

On those years of a3 the 1.9 is likely a BXE engine which would be prone to bottom end failure.

The 2.0 if it's a PD engine can have oil pump issues.

The ones to go for would be a 1.9 that isn't a BXE or a 2.0 with CBA/CBD common rail engine, but not sure if they came in the a3.

The 1.6 can be very reliable and do big miles but can give EGR and injector problems. I find them a bit gutless also.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Poncke wrote: »
    Thanks Johnny, I really do not like the Ford Focus though, I have found it an ugly car from the start. The newest models look better, but out of my budget.

I might just stick with Toyota. Maybe a newer Yaris. Maybe just keep driving my 2004 Yaris.

I just want a newer car really, with a bit more comfort and luxury. 2010 car or something.

Decisions decisions !

I just don't see the luxury in an a3 you are looking for. Audi are famous for the A4 and a6 even more so, the A4 is the entry point for luxury and a bit of an upmarket feel, the A6 even more so. The smaller cars from Audi, BMW, merc are a recent phenomonen and while I still think they are slightly nicer than the likes of a focus or a golf, you don't get the quality of the bigger models, understandably so as they are quite a bit cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

With luxury I mean a better looking interior and a proper working ventilation system to prevent the windows from fogging up and maybe an MP3 radio. But I think I will just forget about getting a car.

Maybe look into hire to purchase or something and get a new car altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That generation A3 and the one before it definitely had an appeal to a lot of people beyond any other car in that class. I saw it when I was selling cars.
    There are plenty cars out there that drive better, have more equipment or whatever, but the A3 has something and there’s no point rationalising it!

FWIW the current A3 has lost that desirability margin.

Advertisement