Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Stations

Options
  • 19-10-2019 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

Is there any new stations in the pipeline other than Pelletstown and Woodbrooke?

Whats the criteria to reopen or open a new station.

Is it a lack of funding, interest, vision or demand preventing more stations to be opened. There is many places that could be connected to the network. I know some previously had stations that closed but is it not time to start looking at reopening some of them.

Some noticable ones are,

Dunleer
    Drogheda North (Newfoundwell)
    Greystones North (Redford)
    Avoca (tourism)
    Ferns
    Kildangan
    Newtown Forbes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Killucan is somewhere which has been campaigning for years for the station to be reopened.
    Plans also exist for new stations at Dunkettle, Carrigtohill West, Blackpool, Blarney, and at a planned new town - these plans date back to the Celtic Tiger, but some will feasibly be open in the next decade.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Kishoge to finally open. Glasnevin for Metrolink and line interchange.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

To say killucan would be a matter of re-opening is an understatement. Last time I went through it on a train a few years ago, the place was in dire condition. Any proposals would be looked at, with demolishing what's there and building anew.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any former station would have to be rebuilt to modern standards to reopen. Probably the only concession would be curved platforms if they already had them (new stations cannot)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cork Metropolitan Transport Strategy llama stations at Blarney, Monard, Blackpool, Tivoli, Dunkettle, Carrigtwohill West IDA, Water Rock and at Ballynoe on the Cobh line

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

L1011 wrote: »
    Any former station would have to be rebuilt to modern standards to reopen. Probably the only concession would be curved platforms if they already had them (new stations cannot)

Alot of them would have been demolished already though?

Yes, or some element gone such as platform access steps

Don't think there's any ready to go (except Kishoge that never opened to begin with) even if standards could be ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

man98 wrote: »
    Killucan is somewhere which has been campaigning for years for the station to be reopened.
    Plans also exist for new stations at Dunkettle, Carrigtohill West, Blackpool, Blarney, and at a planned new town - these plans date back to the Celtic Tiger, but some will feasibly be open in the next decade.

Yeah I forgot about killucan. It would also serve Kinnegad.

Yeah the Cork ones just need to get the finger out and go for it. Housing developments should be part of all station openings. Either make it apart of the planning permission or put a levy on each new build.

A lot of old platforms remain unless they want to clear the area for operational reasons to make way for equipment or access to the railway.

Obviously they'd be in no fit state to reopen as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

IE 222 wrote: »
    A lot of old platforms remain unless they want to clear the area for operational reasons to make way for equipment or access to the railway.

Obviously they'd be in no fit state to reopen as they are.

Any station reopened in the last 40 years has had raised or entirely rebuilt platforms.

• Advertisement

tabbey wrote: »
    Any station reopened in the last 40 years has had raised or entirely rebuilt platforms.

Yeah I wasn't disputing that. I clearly stated they wouldn't be reusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

It would be great to have a station to act as a transfer point between the Phoenix Park Tunnel line and the Luas green line.
    Liffey Junction, the spot where these two lines intersect, is not road accessible*, but trains that use the Phoenix Park Tunnel line would only be able to connect to the green line with this potential station.

*It is, however, accessible from the Royal Canal Way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Cabra on the PPT line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The issue for me would be where in the network could a station be opened AND the trains serving it don’t already have capacity issues... Even when the 41 22Ks come and clear the interminable commissioning process, 29Ks are heading into overdue overhaul and who knows what might be decided about the 26 and 28 sets.

The recent pictures in the photo thread link Wanderer threw up of Sixmilebridge are damning. No connecting buses (Shannon town even if you didn’t figure on airport custom), no cars in the car park, no passing loop to enable frequent service. No development in adjacent parcels. What’s the point in throwing up more stations unless they are built to succeed from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ferns? Seriously? Even when it was a working station no one used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

dowlingm wrote: »
    The issue for me would be where in the network could a station be opened AND the trains serving it don’t already have capacity issues... Even when the 41 22Ks come and clear the interminable commissioning process, 29Ks are heading into overdue overhaul and who knows what might be decided about the 26 and 28 sets.

The recent pictures in the photo thread link Wanderer threw up of Sixmilebridge are damning. No connecting buses (Shannon town even if you didn’t figure on airport custom), no cars in the car park, no passing loop to enable frequent service. No development in adjacent parcels. What’s the point in throwing up more stations unless they are built to succeed from day one.

Sixmlebridge is 10km from Shannon. Shannon is 23 km from Limerick. There would be no demand access railway station to get to Limerick. Bus services are much more.important and should be targeted with funding in places like Limerick

Slava Ukrainii

CoBo55 wrote: »

People have called for Camolin to reopen....

dowlingm wrote: »

Any station not already in planning is going to have a five year leadtime. There will be a huge stock cascade when Maynooth is electrified and the same for Hazelhatch. Forward planning to add P&R style stations would be a positive now

Ferns station is 10-15 minutes walk from the village, which is served by frequent buses. Secondly the excessively low speed north of Greystones makes the route uncompetitive.

L1011 wrote: »
    People have called for Camolin to reopen....

This and Ferns would only add to the excessive journey time on this route, as it is one of the few stretches of straight track it has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

tabbey wrote: »
    Ferns station is 10-15 minutes walk from the village, which is served by frequent buses. Secondly the excessively low speed north of Greystones makes the route uncompetitive.

Anecdotally, the distance from the village to the station won't have that much affect as most (?) people seem to get dropped/picked-up at rural stations. Any additional traffic south of Arklow would be most welcome, and why leave Bus Eireann and Wexford Bus with a free run?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Anecdotally, the distance from the village to the station won't have that much affect as most (?) people seem to get dropped/picked-up at rural stations. Any additional traffic south of Arklow would be most welcome, and why leave Bus Eireann and Wexford Bus with a free run?

Because as railways go, the dead slow and easy, south of Gorey is a joke, they're still running the same amount of passenger trains as they did in the seventies.

Because as railways go, the dead slow and easy, south of Gorey is a joke, they're still running the same amount of passenger trains as they did in the seventies.

In the 1970s there were two trains each way in summer and three in summer. We have a couple more now.
    The real problem is that the journey time is increasing due to DART trains running ahead of the mainline trains. Meanwhile Bray, Arklow, Gorey and Enniscorthy have been bypassed with almost continous motorway to south o Enniscorthy, reducing road journey times except at peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Roscam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Geuze wrote: »
    Roscam?

I think commercially a station at Roscam would work. I believe a passing loop is to be built at Oranmore station (may have been in proposal only).

https://galwaydaily.com/news/galway-councils-pushing-for-athenry-to-city-commuter-train/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

considering the Wexford line south of Gorey is on IÉ's hitlist, I'd be worried if they decided to start reopening stations on it.

Not sure what the benefit of Greystones North would be, I don't think there's space there for park and ride, and it would be a bad location for that anyway.

loyatemu wrote: »
    considering the Wexford line south of Gorey is on IÉ's hitlist, I'd be worried if they decided to start reopening stations on it.

Not sure what the benefit of Greystones North would be, I don't think there's space there for park and ride, and it would be a bad location for that anyway.

The line won't close South of Gorey. At most Wexford - Rosslare will be reduced to 2 services a day. There is not a hope in this day and age any transport body or government would get away closing a main line to Dublin to large a sized town such as Wexford.

Greystones North would allow for a passing section and possibly allow for an increase of services around Bray head. There is also a large amount of housing in the Redford area which is a considerable walk from the current Greystones station.

Im not sure about the future development plans of Greystones but there is plenty of land to build on in the general area and building close to rail lines and including stations is probably one of the best solutions in of fighting traffic congestion in my opinion. Building large scale housing estates beside motorways hasn't proven to be major success really.

I think commercially a station at Roscam would work. I believe a passing loop is to be built at Oranmore station (may have been in proposal only).

https://galwaydaily.com/news/galway-councils-pushing-for-athenry-to-city-commuter-train/

Yeah Roscam could support a station.

Why was Oranmore built where it was and not at the level crossing where the old station was. This would be a good location for a park and ride as well.

Were going to have to invest in are railways at some stage in the near future.

To name a few, €250 million on Westport - Clastebar, €300 million on the Adare bypass and €900 million on N20 upgrade, these are likely to be minimum figures and given Adare bypass will cost €300 I can't see Westport - Castlebar getting done for €250 million.

That kind of money would transform regional lines throughout the country rather than little pockets of road here and there.

At the same time state companies are possibly going to invest millions into reopening the Fyones line for freight. That €300 million for the bypass would reopen the line for passengers and a spur to Newcastle West along with all the other towns in between such as Dooradoyle, Raheen business park ect. and still offer a saving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

IE 222 wrote: »
    Were going to have to invest in are railways at some stage in the near future.

To name a few, €250 million on Westport - Clastebar, €300 million on the Adare bypass and €900 million on N20 upgrade, these are likely to be minimum figures and given Adare bypass will cost €300 I can't see Westport - Castlebar getting done for €250 million.

That kind of money would transform regional lines throughout the country rather than little pockets of road here and there.

At the same time state companies are possibly going to invest millions into reopening the Fyones line for freight. That €300 million for the bypass would reopen the line for passengers and a spur to Newcastle West along with all the other towns in between such as Dooradoyle, Raheen business park ect. and still offer a saving.

We do not have the population densities for trains to give regular services outside the greater Dublin area and maybe some lines into Cork.. Only a fraction of freight will travel by train. At present there is virtually no rail freight operations in Ireland. I cannot see Foynes rail line reopening. Adare Bypass is part of the Foynes port access route. It a motorway from the Limerick side of Adare going as far as Rathkeale and then going onto Foynes. It an EU funded port access plan. I imagine the 300 million is for the complete route from Foynes to access the motorway beyond Adare.

The N20 upgrade should have being done 10 years ago. Even if the motorways is routed to Cahir or Mitcheltown there will be a necessity to upgrade the N20 from Croom to Charlesville and From Buttervant to Rathduff and bypass, both towns as well as upgrade the Mallow bypass.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement