Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I mad to buy a mk 7 GTD?

• 18-10-2019 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just looking for opinions on this ,

Dream car is a mk7 golf GTD and im considering buying early next year, maybe a 2015 model. Looking to keep the car for at least 4-5 years, but all this talk of diesel slowly creeping up with carbon taxes and with the greens blaming diesels for everything bad since the black death , is buying a 2L diesel a bad idea?

Dont want to own the car and in 2-3 years time have it too expensive to run.. not concerned about resale value tbh.

So what are peoples opinions, hold onto my current car until it falls apart or upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Take no notice of the auld talk you hear on the news. Buy the car you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don’t buy into the scaremongering. Buy what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Exactly, don't buy into all the scaremongering nonsense. Buy whatever car you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

So the current talk is that diesel per litre will match petrol per litre in the next few years.....Will 10c/ Ltr fuel increase cripple you if you buy the car you really want?
    Not sure how tax will fare out, but hey, life’s too short to not drive what you want to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

ratracer wrote: »
    So the current talk is that diesel per litre will match petrol per litre in the next few years.....Will 10c/ Ltr fuel increase cripple you if you buy the car you really want?
    Not sure how tax will fare out, but hey, life’s too short to not drive what you want to. :)

No that kinda increase wont bother me much, i guess its expected fuel prices will rises yearly anyway , i think its more-so the government push away from diseals, lord only knows what will happen in a year or two!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Firstly, are you doing enough mileage to warrant a diesel? I have a GTD as I'm doing 30k+ a year. If your mileage is under 20k I'd consider a GTi instead. Generally they are more expensive to buy but they hold their value better if the mileage is kept reasonable on them.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Firstly, are you doing enough mileage to warrant a diesel? I have a GTD as I'm doing 30k+ a year. If your mileage is under 20k I'd consider a GTi instead. Generally they are more expensive to buy but they hold their value better if the mileage is kept reasonable on them.

Currently driving a 1.6 tdi, doing 500km a week for work not including weekend driving so would probably push that over 30k a year

GolfVI wrote: »
    Currently driving a 1.6 tdi, doing 500km a week for work not including weekend driving so would probably push that over 30k a year

Yeah your mileage probably warrants a diesel alright, a GTD will be a big step up from the 1.6, mpg I average around 48 in mine. If your planning to keep one for 4 to 5 years then you won't really lose anything, diesel is going nowhere for a while yet. Try get a lower mileage one if your budget allows, at least that way it might be still worth a few grand even after 4-5 years.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Yeah your mileage probably warrants a diesel alright, a GTD will be a big step up from the 1.6, mpg I average around 48 in mine. If your planning to keep one for 4 to 5 years then you won't really lose anything, diesel is going nowhere for a while yet. Try get a lower mileage one if your budget allows, at least that way it might be still worth a few grand even after 4-5 years.

Thanks for the reply, anything youd recommend to look out for when buying apart from the usual mileage , servicing etc ? Would DSG be better over manual?

At 30k kms a year I wouldn't think you're into diesel only territory TBH.
    That aside if buying a 5 year old car I'd not let potential government anti diesel policies bother me.....theres plenty manufacturers releasing very clean new diesels. Therell be plenty folk running diesels in a decade.

• Advertisement

GolfVI wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, anything youd recommend to look out for when buying apart from the usual mileage , servicing etc ? Would DSG be better over manual?

I've had mine for over 30kms now and had no issues. They are heavy on front tyres, I'm on my third set of fronts now so I'd negotiate a set into any deal if they are needed. Haven't driven a DSG but they are highly regarded and less troublesome than the older boxes that gave issues, they need regular servicing though so I'd make sure that's been done if looking for one. Servicing should be no more expensive than your 1.6 really, brakes might be more expensive alright, mine had a new set of discs and pads all round so haven't had to change them yet.

Augeo wrote: »
    At 30k kms a year I wouldn't think you're into diesel only territory TBH.

what would you say is diesel territory for a used car?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    what would you say is diesel territory for a used car?

I said "diesel only" territory.
    Loads of petrol can hit 40mpg these days and a golf gtd isn't a cheap buy for what you're getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I drive a 141 GTD.

It's a very economical car to drive. If diesel increased by 20 cents per litre overnight it would still be very economical to drive.

Performance is excellent too.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I drive a 141 GTD.

It's a very economical car to drive. If diesel increased by 20 cents per litre overnight it would still be very economical to drive.

Performance is excellent too.

Thank you , thats very good to hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

your dream car is a diesel golf ?

Yes you are mad

Notch000 wrote: »

Yes you are mad

Yep, rather a golf over a merc or beamer anyday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Notch000 wrote: »

Yes you are mad

No need for that, come on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Looking at a gtd as well. Not much good ones with lots of spec in Ireland, the UK has loads of them and the spec is impressive. All in I’d be saving about 7k once the tax man is paid.

For those of ye that hsve one I’m between two minds whether to go for a 1.6 r line golf or a 2.0 gtd. any suggestions

Theres the 2.0 150ps in the middle. I honestly can’t see how you’d consider a GTD and a 1.6 unless you don’t care about the performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Theres the 2.0 150ps in the middle. I honestly can’t see how you’d consider a GTD and a 1.6 unless you don’t care about the performance.

I had a 2017 2.0 Octavia vrs for two years. I say I only pushed it a handful of times. It’s nice to have the badge and that but when you can use it properly it’s a different story

You didn’t boot it when merging onto the motorway, or overtake anyone?

Maybe get the 1.6 then, it will probably tick the boxes you need for a lot less money.
    FWIW the GTD is a lot faster than the mk2 VRS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

adam88 wrote: »
    I had a 2017 2.0 Octavia vrs for two years. I say I only pushed it a handful of times. It’s nice to have the badge and that but when you can use it properly it’s a different story

You can use it everytime you drive the car

Advertisement