Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-09-2019, 09:10   #31
PhilipJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperS54 View Post
By your own admission you are not being neighbourly as you do not want to cut the side of your hedge facing their garden.
@supers54, you really need to read the OP posts again. OP, perhaps look into contacting a solicitor to get sound advise. Explaining your case in detail, it may be the best €80 you spend in this instance.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-09-2019, 09:17   #32
Living Off The Splash

I cut my hedge on my neighbours side of the garden. Once a year.

They don't cut their hedge in their neighbours garden on the opposite side.

They are completely unaware people. If they were nasty people I wouldn't cut it and I don't think I am legally obliged to do so.
Thanks from:
09-09-2019, 09:20   #33
SuperS54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
@supers54, you really need to read the OP posts again.
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaskade
If there was another person living there I would absolutely cut the hedge but for the 3rd time I’m NOT getting into details here.

So not cutting the hedge is your idea of punishing them for something else? I've had horrible neighbours in the past and I can absolutely emphatise with not wanting to be in their garden with them looking at you cutting the hedge on their orders however that doesn't make it right. If it's not overly expensive I'd look at having someone else do it and paying them, that way the hedge gets cut and arrangements are made without your direct involvement.
09-09-2019, 09:23   #34
Ursus Horribilis

You planted something that's impinging on their property. And if you didn't have a problem with your neighbour, you wouldn't be trying to find reasons to avoid cutting it.
09-09-2019, 09:24   #35
Kaskade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Off The Splash View Post
I cut my hedge on my neighbours side of the garden. Once a year.

They don't cut their hedge in their neighbours garden on the opposite side.

They are completely unaware people. If they were nasty people I wouldn't cut it and I don't think I am legally obliged to do so.

Hit the nail on the head here. We would go out of our way if something we were doing impacted on somebody else in a negative way but it’s different story when they are nasty. We have spent years biting our tongue and putting up with all sorts including deliberate damage to our property by their children. They always trimmed back their side and it wasn’t an issue. but now they are sending rude texts demanding we trim their side and telling us that we must reduce the height.
Advertisement
09-09-2019, 09:25   #36
PhilipJ

[QUOTE=SuperS54;111204887]Why?

extract from quote from the OP
How many times do I need to say that there are other issues. but for the 3rd time I’m NOT getting into details here.

Op not looking for criticism, just sound advise.
(3) thanks from:
09-09-2019, 09:32   #37
SuperS54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Op not looking for criticism, just sound advise.
You need to read the OP posts again. The OP is looking for legal advice, not sound advise (sic), which they have received plenty of.
(2) thanks from:
09-09-2019, 09:40   #38
Kaskade

Quote:
You need to read the OP posts again. The OP is looking for legal advice, not sound advise (sic), which they have received plenty of.
You’re right I’m not looking for sound advise. I know the decent thing to do but after years of doing the decent thing and biting my tongue I’m not going accept the way I’m now being spoken to. I just want to know what the law says in these situations as I don’t want to do anything that’s not legal
09-09-2019, 09:46   #39
Living Off The Splash

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/thread...-hedge.175262/

Some similar comments here.
Advertisement
09-09-2019, 10:04   #40
Kaskade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Off The Splash View Post
Some interesting comments there. Thanks for posting the link.

I’m actually meeting my solicitor today so I’ll have a chat about it. I looked up the planning permission for both houses. Ours mentions nothing about a hedge but next door were supposed to plant a hedge within 12 months. I guess if we rip it out then its an issue for them more than us!!!!
09-09-2019, 10:18   #41
sbsquarepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
I’d have to say, i disagree with most posters. I live next door to a family who have a row of Laylandiii trees along the boundary giving privacy to both of us. We share the cost of cutting every couple of years, I wouldn’t expect him to cut my side.
I'm a bit baffled by most people here's take on it to be honest. Unless the neighbour is elderly or incapacitated in some way there's no bloody way i'm going into their garden to trim bushes for them.

My neighbour has a giant willow tree, it's a lovely tree but it's enormous, i cut it back on my side regularly, it wouldn't even occur to me to ask them to do it. Actually at this time of year it dumps an incredible amount of leaves all over my garden - should the neighbour pick them up too!
(2) thanks from:
09-09-2019, 11:09   #42
Iamxavier

Lots of people on here haven't a clue.

Let the neighbor sort out the hedge. Them's the rules.
Thanks from:
09-09-2019, 11:31   #43
Kaskade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamxavier View Post
Lots of people on here haven't a clue.

Let the neighbor sort out the hedge. Them's the rules.
I’m looking for evidence of the rules. So far I’m just getting personal experience and opinions.
09-09-2019, 11:59   #44
Panjandrums

Surely the hedge is for the benefit of both parties?
The neighbor who planted the tree cuts their side and the top.
The other neighbor just cuts their side.
Thanks from:
09-09-2019, 12:04   #45
ZX7R

Quote:
Whole thing is a bit messed up if this statement is true. Let's say I'm elderly, disabled or not capable of doing the work for some reason and my neighbour plants a leylandii hedge. The hedge could grow and intrude several feet into my garden space but they are under no obligation to have my consent to plant it and under no obligation to trim it on my side?
Yes it's true.
The only exception would be one of those open garden estate things, where there is no wall or fence between you and your neighbor you would need planning then as you would be changing the layout of your boundaries

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion