Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
16-08-2019, 15:26   #1
FutureGuy
Moderator
 
FutureGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,112
Seller refusing electrician and plumber visit

Hi all, just looking for some advice.

Sale agreed on a house. 3 bed semi d in a city centre. Their solicitor took 3 weeks for papers to get over to our solicitor and I feel that we have been pressured to make up that lost time since.

This solicitor delay delayed our engineer who was going on hols. We eventually buckled to pressure and got a second engineer to do the survey and speed things up. They threatened to pull out so we got in a different engineer.

We had the engineer out last Thursday week and we are awaiting the survey results, expected today. We asked for access for access for a plumber last week too but they cancelled on the day before. This was due the day before the engineer.

Now we are being told they will not allow access to a plumber or any other visits and expect us to sign contracts on Wednesday. The engineer said in passing he cannot access the drains out the back but they need to be checked via cctv as there is clear subsidence on a neighbours extension which might have damaged the drains below (drains flow under the sellers house and into that neighbours).

Thoughts?
FutureGuy is offline  
Advertisement
16-08-2019, 15:29   #2
Fol20
Registered User
 
Fol20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,121
Run a mile!

If you are only 3 weeks into a deal and they want you to sign as sap while at the same time blocking visits from your tradesmen, then I would be nervous especially if subsidence is in area and pipes need to be checked. Subsidence issues could cost thousands and would be too risky without it tbh.
Fol20 is offline  
(81) thanks from:
anosh9anosh, beauf, bee06, blergh, Bluefoam, charlietheminxx, Chelle_C, cisk, Cocobeans101, Conall Cernach, CrabRevolution, Danzy, Dardania, davo2001, Deub, dexter647, dori_dormer, Dublinandy2, ELM327, FutureGuy, GingerLily, Graces7, GreeBo, IrishGrimReaper, jackofalltrades, JayZeus, JMNolan, joeali101, JoeCasey, john why, JPCN1, JustAThought, liquoriceall, lunamoon, martingriff, martinr5232, martyoo, Maryanne84, matrim, MAXFANTANA, Meeoow, megabomberman, Metric Tensor, Mickeroo, mirrorwall14, Mrs OBumble, Murt10, nuac, Odelay, Pablo_Flox, paddy19, pc7, Peatys, porker36, QueenRizla, Rachiee, razorblunt, Rowley Birkin QC, SirChenjin, SozBbz, splinter65, stiofan85, SuperSean11, super_furry, Super_Sonic, swampgas, Taltos, TBi, Tea-a-Maria, tedpan, The high horse brigade, The Nutty M, TheValeyard, the_pen_turner, the_syco, Time, Ursus Horribilis, vetinari, wench, what?, Zulu
16-08-2019, 15:29   #3
Brian201888
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 454
Unless you're happy to take a chance which I absolutely wouldn't be in a scenario where they are actively blocking you I'd be going back saying to go ahead and cancel the sale and see if they budge at that stage.

If they don't it's surely a huge red flag that there's an issue they were hoping to hide and you're better off away anyway.
Brian201888 is offline  
16-08-2019, 15:37   #4
Pod123
Registered User
 
Pod123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 95
Sold and bought houses over the years.
Best thing we ever did was to send in our own plumber electrician and carpenter.
We also used an engineer purely to make sure everything was built to planning permission eg entrance septic tank etc. But the trades people saved us money.
Pod123 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
16-08-2019, 15:39   #5
TheShow
Registered User
 
TheShow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,068
if they have nothing to hide they would grant access.
are you sure it was their solicitor holding things up or were they trying to cover up/fix something?

Unless you are 100% certain there is nothing untoward happening, red flags all over the place here.
TheShow is offline  
Advertisement
16-08-2019, 16:07   #6
FutureGuy
Moderator
 
FutureGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fol20 View Post
Run a mile!

If you are only 3 weeks into a deal and they want you to sign as sap while at the same time blocking visits from your tradesmen, then I would be nervous especially if subsidence is in area and pipes need to be checked. Subsidence issues could cost thousands and would be too risky without it tbh.
It took 3 weeks to get their papers to our solicitors. Because of this we had to effectively start our engineer search from scratch - that took a week to complete (there were cheaper quicker engineers but it’s the most important piece to get right so had to get the best we could) and about 7 days to get him on site (busy time of year).

We are bending over backwards. Their solicitor goes of on holidays and we eventually have to change the engineer as a result.

We book the plumber for last week, they cancel last minute and now won’t give access to the plumber, drains and electrician.

We get the engineer out last Thursday and they say they want contacts signed the following week (!?!). We told them there wasn’t a hope because that would give 0 days to read, complete recommended checks and then sign contracts.

We have been open and communicative at every step. We’d have the engineer and subsequent visits done weeks ago had it not been for the delay.
FutureGuy is offline  
Thanks from:
16-08-2019, 16:16   #7
FutureGuy
Moderator
 
FutureGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShow View Post
if they have nothing to hide they would grant access.
are you sure it was their solicitor holding things up or were they trying to cover up/fix something?

Unless you are 100% certain there is nothing untoward happening, red flags all over the place here.
I don’t know to be honest. The cancellation of the plumber at short notice followed now by refusal is a major red flag for us.
FutureGuy is offline  
16-08-2019, 16:45   #8
Corruptedmorals
Registered User
 
Corruptedmorals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,006
Yes sounds like a lot of red flags it definitely sounds like they know there is something to hide.

Why was the survey dependent on contracts though? We had the survey done within a week which was 6 weeks before contracts issued.
Corruptedmorals is offline  
(4) thanks from:
16-08-2019, 17:43   #9
L1011
Moderator
 
L1011's Avatar
Either the house is a state or the sellers are flighty and going to be troublesome. I'd back out
L1011 is online now  
Advertisement
16-08-2019, 19:17   #10
garhjw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,292
Drop your offer or walk away
garhjw is offline  
16-08-2019, 19:20   #11
Sour Lemonz
Registered User
 
Sour Lemonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 587
subsidence issues on drainage from neighbours extension are no joke, they cause a hell of alot of issues, walk away cos the cost to fix those drains is many thousands and council wont lift a finger.
Sour Lemonz is offline  
Thanks from:
16-08-2019, 19:22   #12
FutureGuy
Moderator
 
FutureGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corruptedmorals View Post
Yes sounds like a lot of red flags it definitely sounds like they know there is something to hide.

Why was the survey dependent on contracts though? We had the survey done within a week which was 6 weeks before contracts issued.
Sorry, I don't understand when you say "survey dependant on contracts"?
FutureGuy is offline  
16-08-2019, 19:27   #13
FutureGuy
Moderator
 
FutureGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Lemonz View Post
subsidence issues on drainage from neighbours extension are no joke, they cause a hell of alot of issues, walk away cos the cost to fix those drains is many thousands and council wont lift a finger.
It's not confirmed because the engineer couldn't access the drain over. We gave the vendors a heads up earlier in the week that we would need to get access for the drains b

Yeah if there is damage there, there is a chance of further damage or blockage in the coming years and I would presume it would all back up on the house we are buying (which is running downhill from "ours" to "theirs".
FutureGuy is offline  
Thanks from:
16-08-2019, 19:28   #14
tatranska
Registered User
 
tatranska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 16,575
You've not signed any contracts...walk away.
They are hiding something and you don't want to uncover it after the contract is signed.
tatranska is offline  
16-08-2019, 19:37   #15
FutureGuy
Moderator
 
FutureGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
You've not signed any contracts...walk away.
They are hiding something and you don't want to uncover it after the contract is signed.
I have currently no proof that they are hiding anything. They may just be pressuring us. The transaction hasn't been the smoothest given the delay from their solicitor and then us having to scramble to get a new engineer, so they are probably getting pressure from their buyer on the house they are trying to buy.

But I cannot understand how denying us access for our electrician/plumber/drains cctv is going to help do anything but end the sale entirely.

I'm so frustrated because it's completely ****ing unreasonable on their behalf. We've been running around in circles getting a new engineer and when we do get him in, saying they want contracts signed this time the next week (5 working days). I mean what planet do you live on when you think that soneone will sign contracts 5 working days from an engineer visit? And then as we are due to get the report, deny us access to the house?
FutureGuy is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet